General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

I can't turn TCS on.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 11:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I can't turn TCS on.

Ever since I bought my 98 WS6 the Traction Controll Off light has been on all the time. It's not the fuse. And if the switch was broken wouldn't traction control be stuck on instead of not working at all? (My ABS works fine.)

I also checked all the wheel sensors to see if they were plugged in. Is there any way to check to see if they are working?

What else could it be?
Old 01-19-2009, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine would turn itself off for no reason every once in awhile. I was also having some problems with random idling issues. I replace my throttle position sensor for the RPM issue and my traction control has never turned off by itself since. Of course I turn it off right when I get in the car because I hate it. It's almost killed me a couple times.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by nrs2420
mine would turn itself off for no reason every once in awhile. I was also having some problems with random idling issues. I replace my throttle position sensor for the RPM issue and my traction control has never turned off by itself since. Of course I turn it off right when I get in the car because I hate it. It's almost killed me a couple times.
I've never had any idling issues though. And the car isn't throwing any codes either.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know, maybe a bad traction control sensor? I don't really know how it works. Sorry
Old 01-19-2009, 06:02 PM
12 Second Club

As I posted in another thread...

I had this problem for quite some time, and it freaked me out a bit. When I went in for a tire change, the problem dissapeared. Not only is it a sensor problem, but if your tires are worn out unevenly, or any other factors that would cause your wheels to not spin evenly the TCS will shut off, which is probably the case if your running your car and it shuts off during driving rather than after start-up. Same thing can happen to the ABS, it might shut off too.
If your tires are fine, then you'll have to get the sensor fixed/replaced.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Paul87
As I posted in another thread...

If your tires are fine, then you'll have to get the sensor fixed/replaced.
Is there anyway to test the sensors?
Old 01-19-2009, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

hey when i got my car i was working on the right side...driver...and over the hump on top of the strut there is a little single wire, check that. is a ground but the time i was working on it the same thing happened to me, once i got to where i was going i poped the hood and sure enough i ripped the wire out, i re-grounded it and my t/c worked???
Old 01-20-2009, 03:28 PM
On The Tree

If my sensor was not working or the wire wasn't grounded would the ABS still work? because my ABS is working fine.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:00 PM
12 Second Club

Yes, the ABS should likely still work. It still worked for me when my TCS went out. I don't know of any way to test the sensors, I would just do what that guy did and make sure it is still grounded, and if it is, then just get it replaced.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Have you looked behind the TCS switch? Maybe a previous owner bypassed the switch and wired it so it's off all the time. The little panel that the switch is on just pops off with a little prying and goes right back on.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:58 AM
On The Tree

I doubt this is causing the problem but I read in my programmers manual that if the tire size is altered with a programmer TC will not work correctly. That is whats written in my diablo manual for what it is worth....
Old 01-21-2009, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by grey03mach1
I doubt this is causing the problem but I read in my programmers manual that if the tire size is altered with a programmer TC will not work correctly. That is whats written in my diablo manual for what it is worth....
When I bought the car it was bone stock. And I already checked the switch. So the tire size hasn't been altered.