Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

maf issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 12:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default maf issue

ok so the other day i started my car and my SES light was on like usual as my o2's dont work right and i havent had it tuned out yet. no biggie.

anyway i start driving and stomped on it alittle, however to my extreme dissapointment nothing happend.

i started gaining some MPH slowly but the car stayed at 2k rpm's no matter how much i mashed on the gas pedal. this led me to try other things like flooring from a stop and etc. from a stop the car would start off strong but would have trouble shifting into 2nd gear and about late in 2nd gear to early 3rd gear the car would have the acceleration cut out and come back in but not near as strong.

i drove home and scanned my car. the codes i pulled up were MAF performance issue, misfires, Throttle positioning sensor error, and of course the cat and 02 codes which i knew were there.

My car was tuned and with these problems i put the car back to stock to see if it would rememdy any problems but yet has not.

My question is could my problems be caused by the MAF going out? if so can't i just replace it and call it good?

thanks for any help

edit: the car is an 02 A4

Last edited by mglooper; 01-19-2009 at 12:30 PM. Reason: info forgot
Old 01-19-2009, 07:03 PM
TECH Resident

Unplug the MAF and drive the car. That will tell you really quick if the MAF is part of the problem. The misfires and TPS error sound strange. Did you port your TB or mess with the blade any?
Old 01-21-2009, 12:39 PM
On The Tree

i unplugged the MAF and nothing really changes too much. I havent messed with the TB on the car now in anyway. My scanner shows that when the pedal is on the floor the TP reads 51%.

also i forgot to mention the car tries to go into OD ASAP

and I forgot i also have a code for erratic speed from my right tire or something? i think it might be why my ASR shuts off after driving the car.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:12 PM
TECH Resident

Maybe try changing the throttle position sensor? It's possible that the bad reading is causing everything else to screw up.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

if its only seeing 51% tp and you are at wot its going dead lean when you hit it

do a tps reset and check it again
Old 01-21-2009, 10:26 PM
TECH Regular

My car just started running like this. It may run smooth it may not. driving down the road it is erratic, like you are constant on the trottle but the car is acting like you are mashing the gas now and then. ??????
Old 01-25-2009, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

well i take it back unplugging the maf cleared up the idle a little and acceleration. but besides that how do i go about doing a tps reset?
Old 01-25-2009, 08:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You unplug the tps then turn the switch on and leave it on for a minute then turn the switch off and reconnect the tps.

The position of the tps has to be close to its stock location at rest. Like if you have adjusted the set screw on the throttle body to open the blade more, the tps will need to be rotated back to its stock position. To do that you have tp grind off the tang on the sensor as well as elongate the holes in the sensor to make it adjustable.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the fuse for the maf, its on the same line as the rear O2 sensors. I had to unplug my rear O2 sensors bc they kept blowing the fuse. Just remember to cover all the basics before you start spending money
Old 02-01-2009, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

thanks guys i will do that tomorrow!

I think my transmission might be going out as well which could be some of the problem