Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

So am I the first one to blow up an LS6 manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 08:33 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question So am I the first one to blow up an LS6 manifold?

I was havin a little fun this past saturday night in the TA after I had just got my new griffin radiator in and new fans installed and decided to take her out for some action. First little race (well, if you can even call it that against a basically stock 01 SS) the manifold took a dump on me. We started from about a 30mph roll, and i went thru the first 3 gears. At about 5000rpm in 3rd gear I heard a loud POP and I immediately got out of the throttle and put her in neutral. Right away the revs skyrocketed and it was bouncin off the rev limiter. So I stuck it in gear to bring the rpm's down and pressed on the throttle several times quickly cuz I thought somehow the throttle was stuck open. Thats what it acted like anyways. So I turned it off and coasted into the nearest parking lot. After checking everything (IAC motor, TPS sensor, throttle blade itself, disconnect the cruise cable, etc) I was reaching back to see if the MAP sensor had popped out or something. I was SHOCKED when I was able to put my whole hand into the back of the manifold. So Got her towed home and here is the carnage:

The force was so strong that it actually unplugged my cam position sensor and broke my oil pressure sensor as well..

So what gives? I normally am at about 15psi on an average day. It was cool weather saturday night, so it may have seen 16 or maybe 17# at the very most.. I cant see it being any more than that, but I have read of many people on here who are fine at those boost levels and even more with the composite LS6 manifolds.

At any rate, guess its time for an aluminum intake. I'm still deciding between the typhoon, the BBK, or a carb style Edelbrock Vic Jr. I was really wanting to get ahold of one of the new Edelbrock Pro Flo XT manifolds, but after taking some measurements I really do not think that will fit without cutting into the wiper arm and also hacking up my hood. No thanks on that.. If I do the vic jr I will most likely go with the Edelbrock low profile elbow (p/n 3847) which looks like it will fit under the cowl without any cutting and also puts the TB close enough to the factory location to where I would not have to make new intake piping.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

I don't think boost pressure did that. Check your valvesprings and valves. I would almost bet an intake valve hung open. I would also bore scope the cylinders just to make sure a chunk of ringland isn't what hung a valve. Good luck, and I hope I am totally wrong. Normally it takes a nitrous backfire to do that to an ls6 manifold.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW that sucks, hope you was having fun. Easy fix tho
Old 01-20-2009, 08:57 PM

Got a little bored lol..

Oh, and thanks for the heads up gametech.. I sure hope you are wrong too, but I'll take off the heads to verify. It was slightly pushing water anyways and I've had these new 5 layer gaskets waiting to go on too. If nothing else, this gives me an excuse to do that I guess.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had something happen to me exactly how he explained it my engine was revving full throttle, it happend after someone gave me a jump cause my mexican alternator gave up and battery died only thing i dont have boost but my car does need a tune
Old 01-20-2009, 09:06 PM
TECH Veteran

If you were pushing water at 16-17psi, you were almost certainly getting detonation. You're right, it's a good excuse to tear down and check everything.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:08 PM
11 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...ake-going.html

Thats the one I got all for about 550ish.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by gametech
If you were pushing water at 16-17psi, you were almost certainly getting detonation. You're right, it's a good excuse to tear down and check everything.
I dont think thats an entirely accurate assumption. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but pushing water doesnt mean detonation necessarily does it? I have always kept a watchful eye on the KR and I never see any even the couple times that it has pushed water into the overflow tank.

Originally Posted by Silver_TransAm
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...ake-going.html

Thats the one I got all for about 550ish.
Looks good man. I'll probably get the black elbow and paint the manifold black as well Hey man, one question for ya- I already have aftermarket fuel rails. Do the Edelbrock manifolds only accept their own Edelbrock fuel rails too? I'd hate to have to buy another set of rails just to fit that particular intake. If thats the case, it may drive me towards the BBK or Typhoon...
Old 01-20-2009, 09:23 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Thats the weakest part of the manifold, it may have been damaged or was just a weak casting as well. Little cracks turn into big cracks in a hurry with a decent amount of boost. I would think it would be easiest (and cheapest) to put another LS6 on. I have ran over 20psi on an LS6 intake and never blew one up.

Be happy it didnt pull out the fuel rail inserts and burn the car to the ground..
Old 01-20-2009, 09:28 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
I dont think thats an entirely accurate assumption. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but pushing water doesnt mean detonation necessarily does it? I have always kept a watchful eye on the KR and I never see any even the couple times that it has pushed water into the overflow tank.

Looks good man. I'll probably get the black elbow and paint the manifold black as well Hey man, one question for ya- I already have aftermarket fuel rails. Do the Edelbrock manifolds only accept their own Edelbrock fuel rails too? I'd hate to have to buy another set of rails just to fit that particular intake. If thats the case, it may drive me towards the BBK or Typhoon...

You just need to make new fuel rail brackets. I am making my own brackets since edelbrock is back ordered on there rail kits.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Most reports of pushing water come at a significantly higher boost pressure/HP level. If you are NOT seeing detonation, then we are back to your theory about using a better head gasket. Either way, it sounds like time for a thorough inspection.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:52 PM
Staging Lane

that blows..... literally! Im glad im not the only one who seems to have crazy problems like this... goes back to what they always say, though, "if ya aint breakin stuff, ya aint makin power." .... maybe thats just in oklahoma though...

the new eddy w/elbow should do the trick!
Old 01-20-2009, 09:54 PM
Teching In

That is crazy, I gues I wont be using the LS6 on my build. LOL. I think I will build a sheet metal intake.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:16 PM
TECH Addict

I had a car blow up several intake manifolds but we believe it was injecting too much meth at too low of a rpm. Turned up the turn on point and never had a problem.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Got a little bored lol..

Oh, and thanks for the heads up gametech.. I sure hope you are wrong too, but I'll take off the heads to verify. It was slightly pushing water anyways and I've had these new 5 layer gaskets waiting to go on too. If nothing else, this gives me an excuse to do that I guess.

J
Old 01-20-2009, 10:32 PM
9 Second Club

I cracked an LS6 intake in the same spot last year . It was my own fault though , plugs were fouled and I stayed in it to see if they would clean up as they sometimes do , car backfired and blew a hole in back of the intake .
Old 01-20-2009, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

been there, done that, Mine was due to nitrous though lol.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:18 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Chad, pm returned. Thanks. Bob
Old 01-21-2009, 07:51 AM

Thanks for the insight guys.

Originally Posted by black98ws6ta
I had a car blow up several intake manifolds but we believe it was injecting too much meth at too low of a rpm. Turned up the turn on point and never had a problem.
Ya know, I was wondering if my meth could possibly have anything to do with that too.. I didnt think methanol would corrode a composite intake at all tho. Still had me wondering nevertheless..

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Chad, pm returned. Thanks. Bob
Thanks for the PM Bob. I'll probably be ordering the vic jr from ya soon.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:11 AM
On The Tree

I doubt that Meth was the issue although I'm no chemical engineer to know the effects of it on composite. My reasoning though is that MightyMouse has been spraying meth like crazy through all of his builds and he is still running the LS6 intake w/stock TB. And I know he is pushing a lot of boost through it and holding up....

Cody B.

Quick Reply: So am I the first one to blow up an LS6 manifold?