Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mac mids question..

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Mac mids question..

I can't seem to search up the exact info I want. I am looking for anyone with experience on the mac mids and preferrably catted Y, I need to know if they are leaky or not. I have been through 4 sets of longtubes with numerous gaskets and they always seem to have a leak. It is driving me insane, I feel like such a ricer with the farty leak sound coming out. I want to switch to the Mac mids w/ catted Y and a quieter (or stock) catback. I know I am going to loose a few peak hp over the longtubes, but I am honestly not concerned so please don't tell me not to go with them because of that. I just want to know if they're leaky SOB's.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run mac mids and they have been on the car almost a year with no leaks, running TD's though not a y pipe..hope that helps
Old 01-23-2009, 11:08 PM
TECH Regular

I had the macs on for 5 years with no leak problems whatsoever. On the y pipe if you want to pick up a few ponies then replace the y merge with one from flowmaster. It helped mine out alot. The ball and socket connectors are what make the system so leak free. You can buy ball and socket exhaust connectors from summit if you want to modify your current system.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had macs on my car just sold them actually and they never leaked.....which type of LTS did you have that leaked so i dont buy them lol
Old 01-24-2009, 12:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm curious as well. I been doing searching for a good set up with catted y.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the responses. I started with flowtechs or whatever, cheap and super crappy. That was on the LS1. Then I put some pacesetters on, those leaked too, so I welded them to my TD's and they were leaking from the head . I got some slightly used TSP 1 7/8 when I put the LS6 in the car, THOSE leaked, and now I'm on my second set of leaky pacesetters. So 4 LT's, 5 different catbacks, and no leak free systems yet, besides the stock one. I have tried all manner of gaskets, from stock to paper, to copper, to those mr gasket things. I have not tried running no gasket with some sealant on there since I just don't care any more. I want to go with the mids since they are affordable with the cattaed Y and make decent power still.

In case anyone has wondered, I think its just bad luck. I tried bolts, studs, locking bolts, welding flanges on to the collectors, etc etc. My car seems to dislike being leak free.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:50 AM
Teching In

I love my mac mids there ball and socket fittings are awesome and dont leak at all i modified the y pipe and run true duels though
Old 01-24-2009, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have any pictures of this modification? I'm interested. Although I am really wanting to quiet the car down a lot.