Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

115 mph engine dies WTF

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 08:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 115 mph engine dies WTF

Okay I hope this is the right place for this. Anyways I was out last night and some ricer loser wanted to race. Well he wants to be humilated okay I'll let him. Well the bastard had NOS. I stopped at a gas station to see what he was running I figured he had NOS so I still decided to run him. Well we start off and I do a wicked burnout to try and get some traction on my street tires. Anyways I floor it and smoke him bad. I was up to around 80 MPH when he started gaining on me using NOS no doubt so I kick my Auto down to 3rd so I can use higher rpms to smoke him. Well It worked and around 115 my low trac light came on and so did the check gauges light. The damn car just shut off and I almost lost it big time. Hard brakes no steering nothin. Pulled the car to a stop and tried to start it nothing. So I turned the key all the way off for about 5 seconds and then started it and it fired right up. Nothing bad seems to have happened from what I can tell but is this normal? I mean if it is what the hell kinda safety feature is that. Or did I do something to cause it to die out. I squeeled the tires a little bit slowing down but nothing major. Please tell me if this is normal or not. So Whatever it was that I did ill make sure I wont do it again.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: 115 mph engine dies WTF

Do you have gears? if so, the computer may think you are going a lot faster than you are and the governer would keep you from going faster. I'm not sure that it would turn the car off though.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:01 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you turn off Traction Control before this run? Sounds like the PCM went nuts. Mine did something like that at about 150 mph, but the engine didn't shut down. Turning off the key fixed mine also. Then I made another 150 mph run and it happened again. I was told this wouldn't have happened if I'd turned off the ASR (same as Traction Control on Chevys.)
Old 10-07-2003, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

If you have GU2 gears and/or tires that are not Z rated, you may have a 115 limiter on the car from the factory. Enjoy!
Old 10-07-2003, 09:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have you ever went that fast before? my buds 99z has a 120 top speed,then it shuts down.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:32 PM
TECH Regular

I dont have any gear changes I got 2.73's from the factory. I have a top speed of 131 before the governor kills me. I haven't even gotten on it that hard before I think I just kinda freaked the pcm out is all. How do you turn the TCS off because I don't see any switch to do it with. Also whenever it rains I slide all over the place even just barely touching the gas with brand new z rate tires on it could this be related to TCS as well.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:40 PM
10 Second Club

Actually 2.73's means that you have a GU2 and that means that your rev limter is set for 118 miles per hour it also means that you do not have an aluminum drive-shaft. This is why your car shut down on you, although by rights, your car should hve just bounced the limiter and not have shut off. Unless you mechanicly induce an over rev,your car should hit thw rev limiter.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:24 AM
TECH Resident

rev limiter and speed limiter r 2 different things... but neither should shut the engine OFF... u said u wanna turn the TCS off?? if ur spinning the tires in the rain, and the TCS OFF light is not 'ON' then u don't have it... and also, u said u squealed the tires when slowing down? how? did u mash the brake pedal?? if u activated the ABS, thats y ur 'lo trac' light came on... maybe it was just freak thing that the car stalled when u slammed on the brakes... and whenever ur car stalls, u still have about 2 applications of the brakes before u "run out of power", so use them properly...
Old 10-08-2003, 03:45 AM
11 Second Club

couple of things...
first if you are governed you are goverern for 115 like everyone else...
if not then you can run up to 165ish b4 the drag limits you...
you can have your gov turned off buy ls1 edit,hpt3
preditor...ect ect ect
you car should not have shut down at all!!
i would get it auto tapped and try to recreate this run....
good luck

Quick Reply: 115 mph engine dies WTF