General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Lovely Door Crack

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 06:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lovely Door Crack

So I opened my door the other afternoon....

Does anyone off the top of their head know the part number for the door piece?

and I do realize its the ENTIRE door pretty much, as its one piece.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Man that sucks.

I think some people here have filled it with something and it comes out looking pretty good actually. Might look into that.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:00 PM
TECH Resident

DUDE!!! holy cow Ohio got some snow!!
Old 02-03-2009, 08:17 PM
Banned

ebony or charcoal? i have a set for 200 shipped
Old 02-03-2009, 08:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ouch man. that sux. id be pissed
Old 02-03-2009, 09:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
DUDE!!! holy cow Ohio got some snow!!
Yeah we did, got a foot last week. Melted some off over the warmer weekend, supposed to be cold this week but not snow much (1-3 inches) but we almost got another foot from the storm system that is currently dumping rain/snow all the way up the east coast. It shifted enough to spare Ohio. Good in one way, bad in another, I wanted college to be closed for a couple days That pic in my sig was with only 6 inches
Old 02-03-2009, 09:36 PM
12 Second Club

sparky, did u ever get your dash sag prob fixed? bent my lip up and is perfect and good as new
Old 02-04-2009, 12:00 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

This is well (way too much) documented: https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...uote-pics.html

There are some good ideas in here and some that are not so good. I'd recommend checking out post # 312. DarthD has a great fix to relieve the stress. I tried his mod/fix and my crack closed up tight. (Then it can be repaired.)
Old 02-04-2009, 12:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by nemss1
sparky, did u ever get your dash sag prob fixed? bent my lip up and is perfect and good as new
No, I was going to do that this weekend but my motor spun a bearing again so it went in the shop to get replaced. Good thing I got the warranty on the motor when I got it 10 months ago. No idea why this motor spun a bearing, only had 70k miles on it and it looked good when I had the oil pan off back in November. Who knows... Anyway, I'll be taking care of the dash when I get the car back.

My car just hates me
Old 02-04-2009, 02:05 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
No, I was going to do that this weekend but my motor spun a bearing again so it went in the shop to get replaced. Good thing I got the warranty on the motor when I got it 10 months ago. No idea why this motor spun a bearing, only had 70k miles on it and it looked good when I had the oil pan off back in November. Who knows... Anyway, I'll be taking care of the dash when I get the car back.

My car just hates me
sorry to hear man. good thing it was still under warranty and getting fixed. let me know if u have any questions on how to fix the dash sag
Old 02-04-2009, 06:43 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MuscleLs1Power
ebony or charcoal? i have a set for 200 shipped
uh... let me look into that. I have black leather/interior, I haven't been much of messing with my interior so I haven't really paid attention to its exact color .
Old 02-04-2009, 10:49 AM
HWI
TECH Enthusiast

Both my doors have a crack in the same spot, just a lot smaller. What causes it?
Old 02-04-2009, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HWI
Both my doors have a crack in the same spot, just a lot smaller. What causes it?
Originally Posted by wssix99
This is well (way too much) documented: https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...uote-pics.html

There are some good ideas in here and some that are not so good. I'd recommend checking out post # 312. DarthD has a great fix to relieve the stress. I tried his mod/fix and my crack closed up tight. (Then it can be repaired.)
Come on man. Read!

Im going to be taking out the staples this weekend as my car doesnt have the cracks yet but its got a slight dent in both doors.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a small crack in my passenger side door.....nothing on the other door, yet.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:04 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by bballr4567
Come on man. Read!

Im going to be taking out the staples this weekend as my car doesnt have the cracks yet but its got a slight dent in both doors.
You might have them starting, though. One of my doors hadn't cracked through, but on the backside, there was a stretch mark where stress was starting to build up. If you can see the stretch, you may pay special attention to that area and make sure all of the stress is relieved on the staples/holes.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:51 AM
Staging Lane

i have them too. what causes it is ppl slamming the doors and having windows down do it alot worst.. ive alrdy read through the threads about it hah
Old 02-05-2009, 07:17 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by BlacKBirD25
i have them too. what causes it is ppl slamming the doors and having windows down do it alot worst.. ive alrdy read through the threads about it hah
The door slamming thing and window operating causes are myths. (GM slammed these doors and cycled the windows thousands of times on pre-production testing rigs and the problem impacts people with low mileage and high.

All plastics shrink, which is normal and fine. All of the fasteners that secure the panel to the door have sufficient play to allow for this. The issue with the door panels is that the strip stapled in to the top of the panel does not shrink but its securely stapled in to the plastic. When the plastic shrinks along the staple line, it builds up stresses and then cracks (every door at the same place) where there is a weak point in the reinforcement in the back of the panel.

This is evident by the gap in the crack. When you remove the staples and relieve the shrinkage stress, the crack will close up. (If its not too big.)
Old 02-05-2009, 11:06 PM
Staging Lane

WSSIX99 is all over this guys, read the link he posted above. The staple removal process is a pain, if you don't have the problem, fix it before you do. GM wants over $750 for the Trans Am version of the door panel. And they were back ordered. Hmm backordered...ran out of them....hmmm.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:46 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ajsfirehawk
WSSIX99 is all over this guys, read the link he posted above. The staple removal process is a pain, if you don't have the problem, fix it before you do. GM wants over $750 for the Trans Am version of the door panel. And they were back ordered. Hmm backordered...ran out of them....hmmm.
how long ago did you find out they were backordered? ....awwww **** if it was a few weeks ago or recently. well, guess I will be looking for a used door panel
Old 02-06-2009, 10:10 PM
Staging Lane

About 5 months ago. I found a used one listed as 'mint condition' and dropped $400 on it. It was very close to perfect. A few minor abrassions down by where your feet hit the door pocket at the front. For half price I'm happy. I'm totally pissed off that GM accepts zero responsibility for the design flaw, but they have bigger problems to deal with now...don't they.