Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash removal....Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 09:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash removal....Worth it?

Im trying to remove my AC. I have the engine out and the condensor and compressor and all that gone. all that is left is the box on the firewall. I hear you can either cut this off or remove the dash. If i remove the dash i can also take out the Heat/HVAC. the reason for all this is to free up room in the engine bay and weight reduction. I guess my questions are, is removing the dash worth the weight reduction from the HVAC? Tutorial on dash removal? and what is the best way to cut off the box on the firewall.

removing the dash sounds like a BIG pain in the *** and I dont know if its worth the extra few pounds gone. If i removed the HVAC would there be a noticable difference in ET's?
Old 02-12-2009, 09:57 PM
TECH Regular

sorry if this is the wrong forum. wasnt sure where to put it.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, what are your goals for the car is a good starting place??
Old 02-12-2009, 10:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its not really all that hard. just time consuming. i removed my dash and had it all back together in a weekend. u can also remove firewall insulation, dash brace, passenger airbag and ductwork frm behind the dash for more weight. u can search for writeups on dash removal in the drag racing section
Old 02-13-2009, 10:00 AM
9 Second Club

NOT WORTH IT. I thought removing the dash was the most pain in my Effin *** thing ive ever done. All those wires and **** got me so frustrated, and that was just taking it off, never mind actually re connecting all of the bullshit. Theres weight to be saved in the airbag and all of the other stuff in the post right above me, but unless your really, very, very, VERY patient I wouldnt do it.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Taking the dash out isnt bad, just time consuming as nemss1 said. Hell i have played with the idea of getting an m6 under dash harness and swap it into my car since i did the a4-m6 conversion. But im thinking since i cant find one ill prolly hafta find a donor car to buy...
Old 02-13-2009, 04:01 PM
12 Second Club

just type in DASH REMOVAL WITH PICS in search and has a good write-up
Old 02-13-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Regular

my goal for the car is to be a street/strip car. im working on a 408 to put in and shooting for high 10's/low 11's. Id like to squeeze as much speed out of it as possible. do you think I would shave off a tenth or 2 with removing alot of the stuff behind the dash?

Im also afraid I wont be able to get it back together right. i dont want to have electrical problems or crack the dash. I hear there easy to break.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:33 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by gmmusclecarman
my goal for the car is to be a street/strip car. im working on a 408 to put in and shooting for high 10's/low 11's. Id like to squeeze as much speed out of it as possible. do you think I would shave off a tenth or 2 with removing alot of the stuff behind the dash?

Im also afraid I wont be able to get it back together right. i dont want to have electrical problems or crack the dash. I hear there easy to break.
could remove a/c and heat, ducts, dash brace, firewall insulation, unsulation under carpet

not hard to do. just time consuming. have to be really careful with the dash pad. it is very flimsy and easy to crack. also be careful after unbolting dash because it is plastic. having two people to remove the dash is a lot easier than trying to pull the dash out yourself
Old 02-14-2009, 10:58 PM
Launching!

I took the dash out of our old t/a in about an hour.

It was pretty straight forward. If you want to make it relaxing, go take out a thirdgen dash before you do it. You will have a new found love for 4th gen dash removal
Old 02-15-2009, 08:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

its not that bad i had my dash out stripped and back in about 5 hours worken by myself with the car on the lift so i could only open the doors half way with a 6 pt roll bar in their just take your seats out and t tops off and take your time

theres alota weight to be taken off plus u can clean up alota cluter under there and if u plan on doing a cage down the road the hard part is already done

Quick Reply: Dash removal....Worth it?