Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Good with fiberglass? Let's talk..

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 08:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good with fiberglass? Let's talk..

Well, in the spirit of being a little creative and different, I am looking for someone who is good with fiberglass. My tired 1995 A4 console is screaming at me. I would like to fiberglass over my crummy console lid (no more lid). I would also like my mounting points re-inforced. Once everything has been nicely fiberglassed over, it will be taken to my local upholstry shop. I am told that some high end audio installers are a good place to search. Input anyone?
Old 02-21-2009, 08:29 PM
Launching!

Sounds like some "Unique Whips" type ****. That's is ALOTTTTT of work. I had some buddys a few years ago that owned a stereo shop, and being that I do body work for a living they thought I would be a good canidate to fiberglass the cargo area of a mid '90's Suburban where they had built a board with mounting spots for 4 15" subs and then smooth it all out and blend it in with the rest of the interior. It was horriable.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by cvalliere
Sounds like some "Unique Whips" type ****. That's is ALOTTTTT of work. I had some buddys a few years ago that owned a stereo shop, and being that I do body work for a living they thought I would be a good canidate to fiberglass the cargo area of a mid '90's Suburban where they had built a board with mounting spots for 4 15" subs and then smooth it all out and blend it in with the rest of the interior. It was horriable.
Really? Holy cow! Well, for what it's worth, I could care less if the fiberglass "looks" good. As long as the lines are straight and it looks uniform and even, I am just gonna have my upholsterer do the rest.

I know there has to be someone out there in LS1TECH land with plenty of fiberglass materials just sitting there, collecting dust.. LOL. Instead of buying a new console for $150 bux, I would rather spend that money fixing up the one I have.

Last edited by officermartinez; 02-21-2009 at 09:22 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-22-2009, 08:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

I will post in the audio section as well. It would be a nice little project (it shouldn't take more than 4 - 5 hours to fiberglass it over and get it back to me). Even if someone took their time with it and worked on it here and there, it would be a nice little weekend project.. LOL. Anyone interested in making a little extra money on the side?
Old 02-22-2009, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

pictures of what you want would probably help... but i'm kinda doubting anyone would do it for less than $150 using their own materials.. might be better off buying a new one
Old 02-22-2009, 12:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

It shouldn't even be near $150 but I am being a little generous because I need this finished in about 3 weeks. The grey'd out areas are the parts that I need fiberglass work. The arm rest door will be removed and basically all I need is to have it fiberglassed over (effectively deleting my problematic arm rest door). The front mounting point is cracked so a little fiberglass there would repair the mount. Very basic stuff for a person who works with fiberglass. For me, hard as heck because I have NO fiberglassing experience.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:07 PM
Teching In

fiberglass is around $20 a gallon
Old 02-22-2009, 10:07 PM
Teching In

ohhh then you need to add the persons time and making of a mold
Old 02-23-2009, 09:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

hmmmm... not the feedback I was hoping for. I am on borrowed time until my car is delivered back to me in a few weeks. Looks like I might have to come up with a different solution.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:38 PM
Launching!

So your problem is that the front mounting point is cracked? Sand the area a little bit with like some 80 or 120 grit sand paper and poop some JB weld on it. That should hold it..... for a while at least.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by cvalliere
So your problem is that the front mounting point is cracked? Sand the area a little bit with like some 80 or 120 grit sand paper and poop some JB weld on it. That should hold it..... for a while at least.
I appreciate the feedback guys.. I guess I am gonna have to figure some other alternative.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing I did post about firberglass on dash cover I think about. No one able answer..One day i will try do that...
Link here>
Fiberglass on dash

Last edited by Jeff Smith; 02-25-2009 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have done a little with 'glass, no pro. Number
one recommendation is to skip the Wal-Mart /
AutoZone stuff and go for the System West
real epoxy that you'll find at marine stores. Way
tougher, better adhesion, better work time etc.
compared to the polystyrene resin in the Bondo
kits.

As far as making it look like it matches, you're on
your own there.

If it's a broken plastic problem, you may be able
to solvent-weld it (multipurpose PVC/CPVC/ABS
cement) or fusion-weld it (Harbor Freight plastic
welding system). These could be better than an
applique patch.