12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Cobra vs 96 LT1

Cars:
1996 T/A Built tranny, 3200 stall, bolt-on's, baby cam
1998~ Cobra Bolt-on's Freshly Rebuilt forged motor on break in tune

Cliff Notes:
Highway Roll 3 honks from 65-120
Cobra pulls out immediately quarter car as i wait for my auto to downshift, as soon as it downshifts i stop his pull and start to gain ground back.
By about 120 i have 3/4 - 1 car on him.

So saturday i went to an electronics and just about everything you can think of expo here in phoenix, huge liquidation sale. So im on my way home with the old ex, just chatting it up when i see a prismic colored cobra getting on the freeway and advancing thru traffic pretty rapidly. We are both toying around blipping the throttle at one and other. I'm checking the car out thinking this is a solid looking cobra, not a new edge, but the more round body style right before that. The paint job is one that looks forrest green from one angle but almost a purple from different angels, cant think of exactly what thats called, but prismic would be my best guess haha. He has some nice black rims too, older guy about 40-45? So finally we both get into an open spot in traffic and we hover next to each other at about 65, i give the three honks, and right off the third he is ready and starts to gain.
Even thou i honked i didnt think about the delay of the downshift being im A4, but he had pulled about a 1/4 car when my car finally downshifted. I immediately pulled that distance back, and started to slowly gain ground until about 120-125 where we shut down with me about 3/4 to 1 full car ahead.
Nice guy gave me a thumbs up and everything.

Well we both actually end up cruising down the highway and getting off on the same exit and i had a chance to talk to him, he said he just recently had the motor rebuilt all forged, and had full bolt-ons and was running a break in tune. He also said i had a nicely put together car as well and he was a little surpise, guess i kinda have the young punk who doesnt know **** look, fools them every time

All in all i was very pleased with the results, i personally thought he would pull on me especially from a high roll like that because of him being manual and me auto. I'm sure from a stop i would have pulled maybe another full car becuase he appeared to be on street tires, however very wide i'm thinking 275 or larger.

First race since the rebuilt tranny and stall!

Thanks for Reading!

ohh and Mike, my bad saying it was a 99 last night! did some google searches on body styles and realized new edge started in 99 and it def. wasn't a new edge.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice race man. What cam you have? Sounds like a stout cobra too.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:28 AM
Teching In

Sounds like some good runs! The color you're thinking of is called Mystichrome. I believe only the '96 and '04 Cobras were available with that paint job.

Are you sure that "break in tune" wasn't holding him back? I know the one have is.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TRMach1

Are you sure that "break in tune" wasn't holding him back? I know the one have is.

Yah mine too...at 150k Im going get it retuned.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:45 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by AznMuscle
Nice race man. What cam you have? Sounds like a stout cobra too.
Speed Inc Custom grind called the Cadillac Cam 212-219 with a decently high lift

Originally Posted by TRMach1
Sounds like some good runs! The color you're thinking of is called Mystichrome. I believe only the '96 and '04 Cobras were available with that paint job.

Mystichrome, there you go! And i guess that answers the true question of what year is was so it was a 96 vs 96!

I'm guessing he had gears too, cause he jumped out pretty good until my car downshifted.

And he said "i'm on a break in tune so im not supposed to really get on it, but ohh well" so maybe it was, maybe it wasnt? But i didnt think you would need a break in-tune NA, wouldnt you just drive it a little nicer and not revv it so much? Having a tune for a break in on a boosted car makes more sense to me, but NA?
Old 02-23-2009, 10:32 AM
***Repost Police***

Actually it's just Mystic... Mystichrome was 2004 only. Mystic Cobra with full bolt-ons/4.30s and 18" chrome Saleens is . Good run OP.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:02 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Actually it's just Mystic... Mystichrome was 2004 only. Mystic Cobra with full bolt-ons/4.30s and 18" chrome Saleens is . Good run OP.
Thanks man, i saw that you were the last one to post a reply and i was like ohhh god he is gunna call bs for sure, glad you didnt haha. thanks!
and the car was actually really nice i liked it and the guy was super nice too.
forgot the mention too, i had my ex with me in the passeneger seat and he was solo, but my ex was like damn how does the color change like that!? haha!

Old 02-23-2009, 12:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Nice kill. I wonder what his combo is.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:30 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
Nice kill. I wonder what his combo is.
I do too actually, he said full bolt-on's and im pretty sure it was geared too cause he jumped hard when he downshifted, but i was also wondering why he is all forged if he is NA and why in the world he would have a break in tune?
that part just didnt make any sense to me, i tend to think it was just an excuse, but i dont wanna be that a-hole calling someone out who just may really be on a break in tune. Still was a good feeling considering how much money i recently dropped on the stall and tranny rebuild.

Thanks guys!
Old 02-23-2009, 12:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

If he just has built the motor he should have a break in tune. I'm going Thursday to get my break in tune done. I'm not sure why he has a built forged motor with bolt ons though.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:11 PM
12 Second Club

If he just has built the motor he should have a break in tune. I'm going Thursday to get my break in tune done. I'm not sure why he has a built forged motor with bolt ons though.
well when you are breaking a car in the point is just to not go into higher RPM's you dont need a break in tune for that. . . for boost i can totally understand the break in tune, but for NA just drive less aggressive.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:29 PM
***Repost Police***

He might have done like my friend (Mach1 on these boards) did with his old 351W '83 foxbody. He built the motor for a lot of boost (I think he was running 8.5:1 compression), but didn't have the time/money to do it when he put the motor in the car. So he dropped the motor in the car N/A (still probably made 400rwhp+) and hit it with a 100-250 shot when he wanted/needed an extra hit. So maybe he had bigger plans for the car in the future?
Old 02-23-2009, 01:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by PNYKLR-TA
well when you are breaking a car in the point is just to not go into higher RPM's you dont need a break in tune for that. . . for boost i can totally understand the break in tune, but for NA just drive less aggressive.
Actually higher RPMs are good to help the rings seal.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:44 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
He might have done like my friend (Mach1 on these boards) did with his old 351W '83 foxbody. He built the motor for a lot of boost (I think he was running 8.5:1 compression), but didn't have the time/money to do it when he put the motor in the car. So he dropped the motor in the car N/A (still probably made 400rwhp+) and hit it with a 100-250 shot when he wanted/needed an extra hit. So maybe he had bigger plans for the car in the future?
Yea, i'm not sure what his plans were but if he took the time to explain all that he did, i would think he would have mentioned that the car was lower CR for boost or juice. but who knows!? hopefully i can catch him again and chat some more.

Actually higher RPMs are good to help the rings seal.
guess ya learn somethin new everyday. . . but i still dont understand the break in tune on a NA car, i've never i mean never heard of that.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice kill bro!! I always thought that the paint job was called chamillion? I think Im correct.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNHviEeMs_c
Old 02-23-2009, 01:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by PNYKLR-TA
guess ya learn somethin new everyday. . . but i still dont understand the break in tune on a NA car, i've never i mean never heard of that.
My car will not run without some kind of tune. This tune is so I can get my car running and run it through the cycles it needs to go through.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:51 PM
12 Second Club

My car will not run without some kind of tune. This tune is so I can get my car running and run it through the cycles it needs to go through.
i understand that, but thats like saying after i change my cam i should run a break in tune for a while then get it fully tuned. just doesnt make sense, the tuner should drive the car and get the tune down-pat in one session. then you could leave that same day with a full-on tune and just choose to take it easy on the car. i just see no need to pay for 2 tunes.

i mean unless he means a factory stock tune for break in? that would be really the only logical thing to me.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ben....YOu suck. YOu told me 99/01. YOU PANZY!. LOL.

jsut fuggin with you man.

Nice kill.

And to answer about the break in tune.......it's just a 'safe' tune which will be a tad richer with some pulled timing until everything seats correctly. Then you can get a tad more agressive once you go 'all out'. As for high rpms and seating....well, that is still debatable to this day. IMO, drive it like you want to. Everything will seat from teh get go, or it won't. It also depends on what he's planning to do with the car. I personally would dump fuel and timing until it's had enough miles/rotations under it's belt.

"Break in tunes" are fairly common.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:55 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ponygt65
Ben....YOu suck. YOu told me 99/01. YOU PANZY!. LOL.

jsut fuggin with you man.

Nice kill.

And to answer about the break in tune.......it's just a 'safe' tune which will be a tad richer with some pulled timing until everything seats correctly. Then you can get a tad more agressive once you go 'all out'. As for high rpms and seating....well, that is still debatable to this day. IMO, drive it like you want to. Everything will seat from teh get go, or it won't. It also depends on what he's planning to do with the car. I personally would dump fuel and timing until it's had enough miles/rotations under it's belt.

"Break in tunes" are fairly common.
i know i know i suck, and i said 99, but that was not realizing thats when 'new edge' started. but i guess im just a novice still, not saying i ever thought i was an expert haha, but just never heard of a break in tune, i figured all that could be done by just driving a little easier. but regardless he chose to run and got edged out. plus i had a passeneger too so maybe a little more coulda come out of it, and also if i had hit the throttle on the third honk not after the third honk A4 downshifts quick but still not as quick as the M5
Old 02-23-2009, 04:56 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by adanieljohnson1
Nice kill bro!! I always thought that the paint job was called chamillion? I think Im correct.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNHviEeMs_c
Nope... definitely Mystic. www.mysticcobra.net

Quick Reply: 98 Cobra vs 96 LT1