Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't find LS1 M/T radiator!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 01:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can't find LS1 M/T radiator!

What's the deal with finding a radiator for an 1999 LS1 Camaro with a manual transmission!? All I can find are auto types and they all have an extra nipple that I think hooks to LT1 water pumps. Maybe it's for a power steering cooler. I'm not sure. I know I could put a rubber cap with a hose clamp on it, but I don't want to do that because I've seen those caps blow off in my professional life. I've also seen them get soft and blow out the end. The last thing I want is my wife calling me because she's stuck on the side of the road because of a 50 cent rubber cap!
The only radiator I've found that is correct is part #CU2471. I ordered it from Autozone and when I received it, there was a big hole in the box and the core was damaged. I can't seem to find another one on the whole planet! Junkyard radiators cost $100 or more!
Will a radiator from a 2000-2002 Camaro work? I found one of those from Eckler's Camaro, part #718553 for $285. Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks the same. It doesn't seem to have the tranny cooler or the extra nipple on it.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

the best thing to do is order the the 2000 or whichever year is closest. order it, pull yours, and match them up. the AT/MT thing doesnt typicly matter, use brass fittings to plug the holes for the trans cooler if its there. dont use the hose, like you said they can fail.

another thing to consider is that there was a certian year lt1 that had a larger radiator for better cooling, i beleive it was 97, and its a bolt in. not a 100% sure on that though.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:54 PM
Banned

I got a manual trans radiator from an LKQ junkyard for $80. I was needing a automatic radiator.

They make these radiators to be as universal as possible, that why they all come with trans coolers. If you don't need it plug it.

If the Autozone one was right but damaged why not just order another one?
Old 02-28-2009, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
I got a manual trans radiator from an LKQ junkyard for $80. I was needing a automatic radiator.

They make these radiators to be as universal as possible, that why they all come with trans coolers. If you don't need it plug it.

If the Autozone one was right but damaged why not just order another one?
It seems that was the only one their supplier had. Who knows when they'll get another one? I tried all the other parts stores, NAPA, Advance, etc., and they all carry the same brands. i can deal with the tranny cooler, but I don't like the idea of having to use a rubber cap to cover the extra water outlet. I think all these radiators were actually made for LT1 cars, not LS1's.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

I got mine from 1-800-radiator and it had the extra fitting for the auto's, but I didn't do anything about it and has been fine for the last year or so.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:11 PM
TECH Regular

Stop being so picky. GM uses the same exact part number for a stick shift car as they do for autotragic car. And that nipple should just go to a different location. LT1s have a hose that goes to the backs of each head and LS1s go to a nipple on the drivers side of the TB.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bb5401000
It seems that was the only one their supplier had. Who knows when they'll get another one? I tried all the other parts stores, NAPA, Advance, etc., and they all carry the same brands. i can deal with the tranny cooler, but I don't like the idea of having to use a rubber cap to cover the extra water outlet. I think all these radiators were actually made for LT1 cars, not LS1's.
If it were me, and I needed a radiator, and all I could find was an LT1 one. I would use a short piece of heater hose with a pipe plug in the end, and two hose clamps. One to hold the hose on the nipple and one to hold the pipe plug in.

Hell I put a spark plug in a heater hose to plug one once and clamped it on the hex, never leaked, never blew out.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
If it were me, and I needed a radiator, and all I could find was an LT1 one. I would use a short piece of heater hose with a pipe plug in the end, and two hose clamps. One to hold the hose on the nipple and one to hold the pipe plug in.

Hell I put a spark plug in a heater hose to plug one once and clamped it on the hex, never leaked, never blew out.
Don't take this personal, but after 15+ years working as a dealer mechanic, I like my stuff to at least look right, not cobbled together with what I had laying around.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bb5401000
Don't take this personal, but after 15+ years working as a dealer mechanic, I like my stuff to at least look right, not cobbled together with what I had laying around.
Yea, like If I said take a steak knife and cut ye off sum garden hose an stuff a bolt in er.

I mean take a 1 1/2" piece of heater hose cut square with a sharp knife, two hose clamps.

Only the guys you find putting their head under the front of your car will see it. Not that it looks bad.

I prefer my car to have a reliable, neatly made plug on the BOTTOM of a radiator over leaving it sit in the yard and have the grass grow around it while my 15 years experience as a dealer mechanic uses my resources to come up empty handed in a search for a common radiator.

Seriously, don't take it personally, but do take it rationally.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:36 PM
Banned

Answer this, it's almost Sunday.
Do you want me to post a picture of me holding a sign, and a brand new LS1 specific manual trans radiator with no extra nipple by monday?
I guarantee I can do it.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:46 AM
On The Tree

I have plenty of vehicles to drive. I'm not desparate to get this thing on the road. Besides, if I REEEAALLLLLY want to, I can get one of those generic radiators today for $112. I can spare a few days to find the RIGHT radiator.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think i may have one in stock. Pm me tommorow and ill check and make sure it is right for you.