Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Would u recommend street/daily driving on drag brakes?
YES
22.22%
NO
77.78%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Drag Brake DD Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 09:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Drag Brake DD Question

ive searched and still confused on what to do

im debating on going drag brakes because of things ive been reading but id like to hear more inputs before i make a final decision

my car will see more street time in the nice weather. heard of warping rotors street driving

how much does it take to actually warp a 'race' rotor???

can 'race' rotors be turned like the stock (vane) style???

.......or am i f*cked if i warp a 'race' rotor
Old 02-28-2009, 10:48 PM
Man-Crush Warning

I've been wondering as well. I wouldn't mind switching to drag brakes.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:54 PM
12 Second Club

i wouldnt mind the weight savings but id sure mind if my rotors got warped frm street driving and couldnt be turned like a stock rotor
Old 02-28-2009, 11:06 PM
FormerVendor

They can be turned just like any other rotor (but not just at any shop). Strange will turn them if they are within tolerance range. It's not an expensive proposition by any means, not much different than what it normally costs.

If the car is a daily driver, then I'd be concerned. Warping a rotor depends on usage, it's going to be hard to define an exact scenario. Chances are if you're a weekend warrior driver, you're not ridiculously harsh on braking and you don't frequent the hills of San Francisco then drag brakes may be something to consider.

One way a rotor can warp is from excessive heat. If they were warped, it's not the end of the world, you can replace them or possibly have them turned.

Let me know if anyone has additional questions or concerns. We can offer complete kits down to milled spacers and/or braided lines for an easy install.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:12 PM
12 Second Club

how often would they get warped frm daily driving stop and go?
Old 03-01-2009, 01:22 AM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran them on the power tour in 06 never had an issue. Plus all the driving on the week ends . I dont drive my car evey day now but when i put them on ,i did not even have a trailer. The ones i had back then was Aerospace i have wilwood now , I have never had a rotor warp with either set. But i live in BFE .
Old 03-01-2009, 09:01 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a couple local street/strip customers with the Strange brakes... a fox Mustang and a 70 challenger. both have had the kits on for about 3 seasons now and the rotors are still fine. i also have the Strange Pro Race version on all 4 corners on my car(almost 4000lbs). they are fine on the streets, but i would not suggest them for a dd car or someone that is driving in say... Chicago suburb/downtown traffic. they will tend to overheat and you will lose pedal firmness(brake fade). alot of it would depend on your driving habits.

Most drag brakes(not carbon) are designed to have best stopping when cold. alot of it has to do with the pad composition. i suppose someone could get a set of pads that were more designed for roadcourse or circle track and be better about the fade issue. the rotor is also to be a concern. most of the lightweight drag brakes use a thinner solid or drilled rotor, which is fine in the intended application. Wilwood offers the same style kits with a heavier, thicker vented rotor, which would be more like the factory design. these will take more heat and abuse to warp, and will dissipate heat better. drawback there is the weight of the rotor is going backwards from the intended reason to get into the drag style brakes- lighter weight.

Strange Pro Race rotors can be resurfaced, but it is not done like normal. the rotors are forged and need to be surface ground instead of "turned" on a conventional style brake lathe. there is also a very small tolerance that they will accept for resurfacing if need be.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have driven my drag brakes on the street with out any problems, but I would not recomend them for a DD. You can definatly feel the brakes start to fade after multple stops.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would on a lighter car, but not a 3800+ your driving around weight.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:15 PM
12 Second Club

ya mine is around 3000 race weight, street/strip car. rarely sees the street but it DOES see the streets and stop and go traffic which is why i asked this question
Old 03-03-2009, 10:54 AM
TECH Addict

I haven't had them on the car long, prob since the middle of the Summer last year. I think they feel ok, but then again, I don't hammer it from stoplight to stoplight. It seems to be fine for now. If you think ahead, I don't think you'll have a problem.

I think my next set of rotors will be sent in for cyro, which should help prevent warping.

I do notice that there is a stiffer petal feel just directly after going from line lock, I dont know if that means I need to have the brakes bleed better, or what.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by nemss1
ya mine is around 3000 race weight, street/strip car. rarely sees the street but it DOES see the streets and stop and go traffic which is why i asked this question
big difference between daily driving and occasional street use
Old 03-04-2009, 02:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the street, yes, DD no.