Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Problems with ruel rails

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 12:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Problems with ruel rails

Ok so I have some decent aluminum rails that I was going to add a FPR to. I ordered some summit brand 3/8 to -6 AN for the end of the rails and went to put them on. Problem they do not screw in more than a turn. I am confused on why that is considering the instructions say that the end of the rail is 3/8 pipe(edelbrock rails).

So my question is are those the right fittings, or is it that the summit stuff is crap? I had another brand 3/8 to -6 AN and it screwed in about 3 turns, which still does not go very far in for my taste. shouldnt they pretty much seat on the rail?
What is everyone using as far as brand and exact size or part?

Also my FPR says to us -6 o-ring style an fiittings. Which do I need to go to a -6?
Old 03-29-2009, 01:49 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O ring style is straight threads fittings, pipe is tapered.( i use AN to AN on the straight stuff just put an oring on the regulator. ) They make a fitting for the port to an but it is twice the price. http://www.jegs.com/i/Earl%27s/361/981506/10002/-1 is what i use with an o ring. http://www.jegs.com/i/Aeromotive/027/13210K/10002/-1 this is what you are told to use both will work . On the rails i have always welded an AN fitting on the rail but if you dont have a welder that will cause you to have to use the screw fittings an as for the threads you can use a pipe tap to tap the threads deeper in the rails. I have run into this befor it can be fixed with a 3/8 pipe tape and a little time cut the threads and screw it in check for depth tap a little deaper , recheck, when you get it half way in mesurefro the end of the tap to the rail and use that a refrence to do the other 3 ends. when you put sealent on it and screw it untile it gets tight it will seal off. i hope this helped.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like you have two different kinds of fittings:

NPT - National Pipe Thread, or "pipe thread" - this stuff is an interference-style fit. It gets tighter as you thread the two pieces together. Most of your household plumbing uses this type of connection.

AN - Army/Navy - this stuff threads together consistently from start to finish, and is usually actually sealed with something else, like an O-ring in between the two ends.

I don't think NPT stuff and AN stuff are compatible. If you want to use AN fittings (which is the better route) you want to get a 3/8" NPT to -6AN adapter screwed onto your fuel rails. This will allow you to use your AN hose fittings.

I am guessing your rails are from Speed Inc ?

-Dave
Old 03-29-2009, 10:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by FastKat
It sounds like you have two different kinds of fittings:

NPT - National Pipe Thread, or "pipe thread" - this stuff is an interference-style fit. It gets tighter as you thread the two pieces together. Most of your household plumbing uses this type of connection.

AN - Army/Navy - this stuff threads together consistently from start to finish, and is usually actually sealed with something else, like an O-ring in between the two ends.

I don't think NPT stuff and AN stuff are compatible. If you want to use AN fittings (which is the better route) you want to get a 3/8" NPT to -6AN adapter screwed onto your fuel rails. This will allow you to use your AN hose fittings.

I am guessing your rails are from Speed Inc ?

-Dave
I have the 3/8 ntp to -6 AN style fittings for the ends of the rail like the edelbrock fuel rail instructions call for. The problem is they dont go in. I think I got bad fittings or something. Going to order a better brand and run a tap through the rail ends to ensure the same thing does not happen again.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:03 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Silver_TransAm
I have the 3/8 ntp to -6 AN style fittings for the ends of the rail like the edelbrock fuel rail instructions call for. The problem is they dont go in. I think I got bad fittings or something. Going to order a better brand and run a tap through the rail ends to ensure the same thing does not happen again.
good luck the issue i have had with those rails is the depth of the threads in the rails. The tap will do wonders rap the rails in a towel are get two peices of wood and put over the jaws of a vice to hold the rails and keep running the tap a little father and re checking . It will work out for you.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by pmbmax
good luck the issue i have had with those rails is the depth of the threads in the rails. The tap will do wonders rap the rails in a towel are get two peices of wood and put over the jaws of a vice to hold the rails and keep running the tap a little father and re checking . It will work out for you.
Ok just got my new fittings that are a diff brand than summit and wow! They wrk great. Must of been something wrong with the summit brand crap. Any who I did buy a tap and checked the rail but it went in just fine. Used the vise method and there in there nice a deep this time so hopefully it wont leak. Should have the return setup done today. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:47 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Silver_TransAm
Ok just got my new fittings that are a diff brand than summit and wow! They wrk great. Must of been something wrong with the summit brand crap. Any who I did buy a tap and checked the rail but it went in just fine. Used the vise method and there in there nice a deep this time so hopefully it wont leak. Should have the return setup done today. Thanks for the help.
Use teflon past if you can find some i use loctite brand past. (not like loctite as to hold stuff) You are welcome
Old 03-31-2009, 05:02 PM
11 Second Club

I had my rails leak with paste on the npt fittings, I had to use thread tape
Old 03-31-2009, 09:00 PM
11 Second Club

All finished. I did have one leak at rail though. Just took it back off and used Teflon tape but was careful not to make it sloppy and protrude in the fuel system. Worked great. I have one injector o-ring that is missing a chunk out of it so it slightly wet after driving it, but I am getting new ones soon so no big deal.

I'll take some pics tomorrow of how it came out. I used the evap as the return and it was stupid easy. The hard part was making both pumps fit in the bucket. Just need to wire the second pump to come on under boost.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:41 PM
12 Second Club

i will be doing a duel setup soon so any pics or info would be helpful.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:59 PM
11 Second Club

All right here is how it came out. I did not take pictures during the install since I just copied other instructions on here that helped. Might change how it is run, but for now this is how it is.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:19 PM
11 Second Club

I don't know what kind of luck you've had with the hose clamps on your couplers, but I had them on there and they blew off. I have all t bolt clamps and no problems now.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:55 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
I don't know what kind of luck you've had with the hose clamps on your couplers, but I had them on there and they blew off. I have all t bolt clamps and no problems now.
At first I had lots of probs, but not anymore. I just tighten the hell out of them. Havent pop at 14psi yet.(knock on wood)
Old 04-01-2009, 06:58 PM
11 Second Club

Mine would only tighten so far before they started stripping or whatever the hell they do.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:24 PM
11 Second Club

Man that fpr works great. No more leaning out even with these little injectors at 14psi. I still dont even have the second pump coming on yet. Boost referrenced FPR are deff the way to go on a FI setup. Just wish I did this earlier.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Just a word of caution:
Hanging that reg, hoses off the end of a stack up of aluminum fittings can cause a disasterous fuel leak....
Old 04-04-2009, 12:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
Just a word of caution:
Hanging that reg, hoses off the end of a stack up of aluminum fittings can cause a disasterous fuel leak....
Thanks. I am thinking about making a little support bracket of some sort. The FPR is pretty light though.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:14 AM
11 Second Club

Is there not enough room to have it right on the rail? I don't know what fitting it is though. EDIT: See below post

Now you can see the last worm gear clamp on my throttle body that would blow off. I've got a t bolt clamp on there now.

Last edited by 98Camarod; 04-05-2009 at 07:55 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

"but they are both npt on the regulator and the fuel rail."
The Aeromotive regulator does not have NPT threads. The threads are straight, and are sealed w/ an o'ring.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:54 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
"but they are both npt on the regulator and the fuel rail."
The Aeromotive regulator does not have NPT threads. The threads are straight, and are sealed w/ an o'ring.
I'll change the post so we don't have bad info, your right, it does have an o-ring. Either way, that one fitting would be better than having it out 3 in or so.

Quick Reply: Problems with ruel rails