Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Full Test] (Descreened Maf, P/P TB, CAI) Find out what they each do here...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default [Full Test] (Descreened Maf, P/P TB, CAI) Find out what they each do here...

Hey guys, I believe I'm the first person to do something like this, I haven't seen it before.

I finally got these tests out of the way, and its all on video in the day time!. My brother and I raced, then did each of the mods and raced after them to see what each mod does. I think this will really open a lot of eyes so you can see exactly how much faster your car will be for each upgrade. Enjoy! Hope this can help anyone that ever asked, "Is descreening the Maf worth it?" And so forth.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/L...ing_643805.htm
Old 03-30-2009, 11:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well switching the mafs and throttle body the gain would only be half that. Since one gains from it and the other loses it. But I still find it so hard to believe that descreening the maf gave so much! Blows my mind. The ported throttle body I can go with. Nice job switching parts around to see what the differences are. I like to see stuff like this. Also nice clutch drop on the atv lol
Old 03-30-2009, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 7plagues
well switching the mafs and throttle body the gain would only be half that. Since one gains from it and the other loses it.
Thank you for bringing that up, thats one thing I forgot to mention.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so i see you left the belts on?
Old 03-30-2009, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
so i see you left the belts on?
LOL, you remembered! Yeah, we left them on.
TECH Senior Member

Ok you answered my question if you had an LS1 or LS6 intake... That is why he pulls you everytime..

I was a little nervous there with your spares on the front. Not supposed to get faster than 55 mph....

And that is crazy how he gained a lot more with each mod.
12 Second Club

Default yes but

Originally Posted by 7plagues
well switching the mafs and throttle body the gain would only be half that. Since one gains from it and the other loses it. But I still find it so hard to believe that descreening the maf gave so much! Blows my mind. The ported throttle body I can go with. Nice job switching parts around to see what the differences are. I like to see stuff like this. Also nice clutch drop on the atv lol
Its true the gains are multiplied but the end result is still the result of of a modified car over stock one its just that initially the test car was modified as opposed to both cars being identical and having a third set of modified parts to put on just one car,which we didn't have.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:03 AM
12 Second Club

Default ls6 intake

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
Ok you answered my question if you had an LS1 or LS6 intake... That is why he pulls you everytime..

I was a little nervous there with your spares on the front. Not supposed to get faster than 55 mph....

And that is crazy how he gained a lot more with each mod.
I know this wasn't directed at me but the reason i pull on him is because of the gutted cats.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by badamn
I know this wasn't directed at me but the reason i pull on him is because of the gutted cats.
I think the LS6 intake helps as well though.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:55 AM
12 Second Club

interesting, my next 2 mods are going to be ls6 intake and pptb. this makes me a little more confident with the choice of a ported tb.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

holy crap

I didn't think a descreened maf would be worth anything at all...sure there was no driver error (even minor)?
Old 03-31-2009, 01:49 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

you shouldnt pop your knuckles, my grandma would smack you lol. anyways great vid very informative. i wouldnt expect much from the spares though seeing how heavy they are, so that was a surprise.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

You guys are ******* awesome!! Great job on video documenting. My brother and I have raced a number of times, but haven't ever filmed anything. Thats gonna have to change.

Definitely gonna have to get me a different intake as well though. Brother's got the LS6 on his 02 35th Anniversary SS. Thats gotta be why he's still right there with me even though I've done a few small mods.

What made you decide on the LS6? I'm torn between it and FAST 90/90 or 92/92. Just can't seem to make up my mind.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mumbles
You guys are ******* awesome!! Great job on video documenting. My brother and I have raced a number of times, but haven't ever filmed anything. Thats gonna have to change.

Definitely gonna have to get me a different intake as well though. Brother's got the LS6 on his 02 35th Anniversary SS. Thats gotta be why he's still right there with me even though I've done a few small mods.

What made you decide on the LS6? I'm torn between it and FAST 90/90 or 92/92. Just can't seem to make up my mind.
Thanks man! Basically I'm going with an LS6 inake because I'm never getting a head and cam package for my car. If I was planning on doing that than I would get the fast.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
holy crap

I didn't think a descreened maf would be worth anything at all...sure there was no driver error (even minor)?
We kept it as consistant as possible. After each race we would pull over and talk with each other and ask if the other person felt as though they had a consistant run. I'm glad you asked this because that was the biggest factor in this testing. If you weren't 100% consistant with each run you would basically skew the data and it would be worthless. I mis shifted once and we redid the run.

This is the biggest reason we didn't do the runs from a dig. Running from a dig had to many factors that could skew the data. Everything ends up depending on how well you hook, how consistantly you work the clutch, ect... I know it would have been more interesting to do it from a stop but roll racing turned out to be most consistant.

Last edited by TheBlueKnight; 03-31-2009 at 02:18 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Driftunit
you shouldnt pop your knuckles, my grandma would smack you lol. anyways great vid very informative. i wouldnt expect much from the spares though seeing how heavy they are, so that was a surprise.
My favorite part was the spares as well. I'm now dead set on getting some skinnies to run at the track the first time I go. I bet they make an even bigger difference from a stop. And at my work, my co worker smacks me when I pop my knuckles, it is a bad habit, lol.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

awesome man, I wasn't trying to discredit you I was just curious because with 2 m6 cars it seemed like a HUGE variable

as far as intakes go, I never thought I'd get a fast, but I was pm'd with a deal I couldn't refuse, so I would say its worth looking around for a good deal but I wouldn't pay retail for one personally

it did make a HUGE difference in how my car performs though, I could feel a small difference crusing out the my spot, especially in throttle response, nailed it and it felt stronger but I was about to frown because I didn't feel the gain was worth it...then the car passed the 4k rpm mark and I got sucked back in my seat all the way to redline and that frown turned into a big smile

sorry for the hijack...it's late and I'm chatty
Old 03-31-2009, 02:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
awesome man, I wasn't trying to discredit you I was just curious because with 2 m6 cars it seemed like a HUGE variable
I didn't think you were trying to discredit me at all, that was a really good question because I remember telling my brother how important it was that we be consistant. Just like you said, if in one race I power shifted and raced as hard as I could, then in the next I kinda shifted lazy or didn't try as hard, it could definitely skew the data easily by a car length or more.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:34 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This place is soo backwards.... This is where a dyno is a good thing, for finding true differences between parts. Using dynos for a number (500hp) to put in your sig is what it is not good for.

When I started to read this thread and I was ready for some A-B-A testing

Sounds like you had fun though...
Old 03-31-2009, 07:50 AM
Launching!

lol @ the quad launch, funny stuff. nice vid

Quick Reply: [Full Test] (Descreened Maf, P/P TB, CAI) Find out what they each do here...