Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Oil Pressure went ZERO on way to work!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil Pressure went ZERO on way to work!

Just recently installed an LS2 w/ my ported LS6 pump from my old motor.
1200 miles have been put on since I did the swap.

Oil press. has been consistent 40-45psi hot at Idle until today.

Was driving down the freeway today and my oil pressure was at 0, at 2k rpm it builds about 10psi No pressure at all at Idle. I put 10 miles on the car with hardly any pressure.

Do these pumps just crap out like this? Wtf could cause this? I know the O-ring was installed properly b/c I have gone through that before.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

From everything I've come to understand, when an oil pump goes, it goes completely. I recently had a similar issue with my silverado. It ended up just being a bad sending unit.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you probably have a wiring problem or a pressure sending unit problem...I saw you have heads/cam/intake...it's possible that the harness to the sending unit (right behind the intake manifold on the top of the block) was snagged at some point and possibly resulted in some damage when the heads/cam/intake mods were performed...and if it was minr enough damage, the damage could have just taken some time, heat cycling, and vibration to manifest itself as a bad gauge reading.

For further assurance that the engine is ok...I'd say it's worth it for you to change the oil and filter immediately, and cut the old filter open...if you really ran for 10 miles without oil pressure and the engine is still running, I'd expect to see metal (bearing material) in the filter media.

Did the engine develop any knocks or other sounds during that 10 miles?
Old 04-04-2009, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
I think you probably have a wiring problem or a pressure sending unit problem...I saw you have heads/cam/intake...it's possible that the harness to the sending unit (right behind the intake manifold on the top of the block) was snagged at some point and possibly resulted in some damage when the heads/cam/intake mods were performed...and if it was minr enough damage, the damage could have just taken some time, heat cycling, and vibration to manifest itself as a bad gauge reading.

For further assurance that the engine is ok...I'd say it's worth it for you to change the oil and filter immediately, and cut the old filter open...if you really ran for 10 miles without oil pressure and the engine is still running, I'd expect to see metal (bearing material) in the filter media.

Did the engine develop any knocks or other sounds during that 10 miles?
Although I was careful not to snag the sending unit it could possibly be that.
The engine sounded fine, and didnt make any different/ louder noise with no oil pressure, so that was the only reason I drove it. What is bearing material going to look like in the oil/ filter? I have a new SDPC pump on the way, But if what your saying is a possibility I might as well change out the sending unit first.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

If you went 10 miles and the motor did not make any noises, I would tend to think you have an electrical issue. If you had no oil pressure the engine would start getting noisy pretty quick, especially when the lifters bleed down. Only when you run Slick 50 can you run an engine with no oil pressure and have no damage.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My ported LS6 lasted a week before it completely quit working.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:57 PM

The oil pressure sensor is crap I’ve I had to replace two in mine, so its a good chance thats it. But you always have to check so put a mechanical gauge in the valley plate and see what you get. If you read nothing or very little, put the gauge in the oil rifle in the sump and see what you get if still nothing without it rattling or knocking yet I would go straight to relief in the pump.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sick'98WS6
Although I was careful not to snag the sending unit it could possibly be that.
The engine sounded fine, and didnt make any different/ louder noise with no oil pressure, so that was the only reason I drove it. What is bearing material going to look like in the oil/ filter? I have a new SDPC pump on the way, But if what your saying is a possibility I might as well change out the sending unit first.
A filter from a healthy engine will just have oil in it (it will be dark oil because it's "dirty"...but it will be the same color as the oil coming out of your engine...a filter full of metal from bearing damage will look just like one would expect...it will look like there's metallic glitter all over the filter media when you cut it open.

I'd actually avoid replacing the pump until you've verified that the pressure is ok...and if it is ok, I wouldn't replace it...why risk opening the engine up when there might be absolutely no need to?
Old 04-05-2009, 02:59 PM
8 Second Club

No way i would do anything without putting a gauge on it. You will have to pull the sensor to replace anyway. you will be surprised as to how inacurate the cluster is. if it is in the wireing which i dont think it will be most of the time that happens it will stop reading not just be low. i have seen s sensore just read low . Post what you find
Old 06-05-2009, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Swapped Sending Unit- Still ZERO

So I ended up finally getting around to the car. after changing the sending unit the oil pressure still reads zero. So next I guess i will have to get a mechanical pressure gauge and possibly drop the oil to look for rod bearing material... whack

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure went ZERO on way to work!