Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam specs of Cartek "X" pkg, or JPR pkg?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 09:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cam specs of Cartek "X" pkg, or JPR pkg?

Anyone wanna spill the beans on what size cam the JPR and Cartek "X" packages are using?

Thanks, Shawn
Old 10-24-2003, 10:24 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Can't comment on JPR

According to Cartek the numbers on the X pkg cam is roughly 224/228 .58x/.58x 113LSA ?ICL
Old 10-24-2003, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is freakin amazin that cartek's cam is so conservative for the freakin dyno and track times they pull. Perfect example of proper selection of all components working together in perfect harmony making maximum power!
Old 10-25-2003, 12:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

At least one of the Carteks cams is as J-Rod says but I'm not sure which one.

As for JRP's cam...can't say...where the smiley ircon with the glass, hat and trench coat when you need him...
Old 10-25-2003, 12:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

Spanky, what are you going to run with your Absolutes?
Old 10-25-2003, 06:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Cartek X-Package

I am running their latest X-Package the cam is a 224/228 580/580 113 lsa. They don't belive in using a huge cam to make power .. my car made 467 hp and 417 tq to the wheels with a Moser 9" 35 spline (gun drilled) axles with 4.10 gears.

I am very happy with the power and numbers the car is running.
Old 10-25-2003, 08:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
Spanky, what are you going to run with your Absolutes?
I am running the LGM G5X3.
Old 10-25-2003, 09:36 AM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Once people realize it is not just a single part that produces good #'s they would stop trying to find out cam specs.. The horsepower is in the heads.. After you get a good set of heads you just mess around with your own cam specs that you design to see what works with your combo. Every car is different.
Old 10-25-2003, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by VINCE
Once people realize it is not just a single part that produces good #'s they would stop trying to find out cam specs.. The horsepower is in the heads.. After you get a good set of heads you just mess around with your own cam specs that you design to see what works with your combo. Every car is different.

That couldnt be more wrong.....

You just dont buy a "good" set of heads and then buy 5 different cams untill one "works" with what you have. You have to match them together. Carteks cams are ment for their heads, thats why they sell it as a package and it makes the good numbers. Look at the old school stuff like the Holley and Edelbrock stuff... Sold as a PACKAGE. You dont just buy one part and buy another part and more of the same parts untill it works.
Old 10-25-2003, 12:30 PM
Shorty Director

Originally Posted by Country Boy
That couldnt be more wrong.....

You just dont buy a "good" set of heads and then buy 5 different cams untill one "works" with what you have. You have to match them together. Carteks cams are ment for their heads, thats why they sell it as a package and it makes the good numbers. Look at the old school stuff like the Holley and Edelbrock stuff... Sold as a PACKAGE. You dont just buy one part and buy another part and more of the same parts untill it works.

Carl what do you think Cartek and JPR did..? Pull a rabbit out of their hats? R and D man.. The poster obviously want to know the cam specs for a reason. He does not have Cartek or JPR heads? Do you think purchasing their package is going to automatically get you 450rwhp? I know you thought that with your package, but REALITY hit you quick.. It does not matter what their cam specs are.. If you do not want the package because they wont tell you the cam specs then purchase from someone else.. Hell it took you quite a while to reveal who did your H/C package.. Why is that? When it suits you its ok? You as a moderator should not post in these type of threads, but just like you do on our local forum, you do here. You do nothing but start shiznit.. You give LG and Absolute a bad name..
Old 10-25-2003, 01:17 PM

Carl what do you think Cartek and JPR did..? Pull a rabbit out of their hats? R and D man.. The poster obviously want to know the cam specs for a reason. He does not have Cartek or JPR heads? Do you think purchasing their package is going to automatically get you 450rwhp? I know you thought that with your package, but REALITY hit you quick.. It does not matter what their cam specs are.. If you do not want the package because they wont tell you the cam specs then purchase from someone else.. Hell it took you quite a while to reveal who did your H/C package.. Why is that? When it suits you its ok? You as a moderator should not post in these type of threads, but just like you do on our local forum, you do here. You do nothing but start shiznit.. You give LG and Absolute a bad name..

Where did this come from???

You said:

After you get a good set of heads you just mess around with your own cam specs that you design to see what works with your combo. Every car is different.
You cant go buy a set of stage 2 MTI heads and order up a Comp cam and expect it to work because you have some killer heads. Heads are only half of the equation. I know Cartek and JPR and MTI have packages, thats why they work.

Hell it took you quite a while to reveal who did your H/C package.. Why is that? When it suits you its ok?
I didnt want to... Was there something wrong with that? A select few did know.

You as a moderator should not post in these type of threads, but just like you do on our local forum, you do here. You do nothing but start shiznit.. You give LG and Absolute a bad name...
Because Im a mod means I cant reply to tech threads? How do I start stuff on the local forums? I barely post local.
Old 10-25-2003, 01:46 PM
TECH Junkie

The poster obviously want to know the cam specs for a reason. He does not have Cartek or JPR heads?
I am just curious. I just wanted to see approx. what size cam they were running. Obviously, JPRs 450+ dyno results are a lot more impressive if they were done on a 224/224 that Joe swears by, then if it was done with a "G5X2 size cam" . Same to be said for Cartek, more impressive that its only a 224/228, if thats truly the case.

It does not matter what their cam specs are.. If you do not want the package because they wont tell you the cam specs then purchase from someone else..
Nobody said that they should say, or that anyone wanted any package. It does matter what the specs are, for example, if JPR is reaching 450+ rwhp, its more impressive if he is using the 224/224 that he has always sworn by, than if he is using a cam that is similar to other 450+ hp cars are using. Thats all.

Is that how you ended up with 396 rwhp?
Old 10-25-2003, 01:48 PM
Shorty Director

Carl I am not going to go back and forth with you. I was telling people they could spend the time to research their own cam profile instead of trying to steal someone elses specs. If they cant get the specs from the vendor they should not purchase if they do not like not knowing.. Plain and simple. You took my quote and obviously have a problem with what I said. I have researched cams.. I have took the time to put several cams in my car.. Some people are not looking for MAX horsepower and want something a little milder.. Thats why I made my comment.. The vendors have put in many hours to develop a cam that works well with their heads to give you the MOST horsepower peak as possible.. Peak #'s sell H/C packages.. Not everyone looks for peak #'s.. Many local people I talk too want something that has a lot of lowend tq and does not require a 4.10 gear or higher to toodle around town in.. Not everyone has the luxury of having a backup vehicle to build a high horsepower car w/out fear of breaking down. My car could sit from now until I feel like fixing it. I have 3 other vehicles at my disposal. So sometimes purchasing a package deal is not what everyone wants.. Its funny you say you did not want to tell people what you have, but you do not like others keeping secrets.. You mentioned a select few knew. I am sure Cartek and JPR told a select few what the cam specs are.. You did not like the fact my buddy Mike did not share the JPR cam specs, but Mike is very happy with his car nonetheless.. I do not see any Cartek guys dyno'ing high complaining about not knowing their cam specs..
Old 10-25-2003, 02:01 PM
Shorty Director

Originally Posted by SPANKY LS1
I am just curious. I just wanted to see approx. what size cam they were running. Obviously, JPRs 450+ dyno results are a lot more impressive if they were done on a 224/224 that Joe swears by, then if it was done with a "G5X2 size cam" . Same to be said for Cartek, more impressive that its only a 224/228, if thats truly the case.

Nobody said that they should say, or that anyone wanted any package. It does matter what the specs are, for example, if JPR is reaching 450+ rwhp, its more impressive if he is using the 224/224 that he has always sworn by, than if he is using a cam that is similar to other 450+ hp cars are using. Thats all.

Is that how you ended up with 396 rwhp?
Spanky the last time I dyno'd that low was on a Mustang dyno with cutout closed.. This thread was started to start shiznit and nothing else.. You already have a package so why should you care? You cant figure out cam specs by looking at dyno's.. If you are not impressed by their setups then dont be. Come down to Florida and dyno your car and see what you get.. Last year TR had two cars dyno over 440rwhp/415-423rwtq with a TR224 cam using GTP heads.. They went to a bigger cam and lost tq and gained like 10rwhp.. Personally I think the smaller cam was a faster setup. Tq moves the vehicle.. Was the cam swap worth it..? Only the owners of the cars can tell you. This thread and thread similar to this should be locked b4 they get heated.. This is not going to help anyone and I see no technical relevance..
Old 10-25-2003, 02:16 PM
TECH Junkie

This thread was started to start shiznit and nothing else.. You already have a package so why should you care? If you are not impressed by their setups then dont be. This thread and thread similar to this should be locked b4 they get heated.. This is not going to help anyone and I see no technical relevance..
Please do not tell me why this thread was started. I started it because I was curious and, as I already said, 450+ rwhp numbers are becoming fairly common these days, to me, the smaller the cam, the more impressive the numbers. I AM impressed with both setups, as well as many others, never said otherwise, where are you getting that from? Do you have either package? If not, why should you care? You see no technical relevance? Cam specs and how they relate to dyno numbers are not relevant?

Last edited by SPANKY LS1; 10-25-2003 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-25-2003, 02:32 PM
Shorty Director

Originally Posted by SPANKY LS1
Anyone wanna spill the beans on what size cam the JPR and Cartek "X" packages are using?

Thanks, Shawn

If you would have went more in depth on your opening post I think you would have came across a little better.. I would think Cam size and Porting style would be a good topic. Matching runners with the cam is more important than people think.. It would be good to know what the runner size of most vendors heads are and compare them to what cams they use..
Old 10-25-2003, 02:48 PM
TECH Junkie

If you would have went more in depth on your opening post I think you would have came across a little better.. I would think Cam size and Porting style would be a good topic. Matching runners with the cam is more important than people think.. It would be good to know what the runner size of most vendors heads are and compare them to what cams they use..
I don't see anyone else offended I was curious as to what size cams these packages were using. Some shops get bashed for using large cams to produce their numbers, when in reality, most 450rwhp cars are using 230+ (in some cases well over 230*) sized cams. It is impressive to me that Cartek is using such a small (relatively) cam, and I am honestly surprised. I was honestly just curious, not trying to start "shiznit".

I agree that a set of heads as to be matched to a cam (see sig ), and I would like to see a head comparison at a neutral location. Maybe every head porter (TEA, AS, JPR, MTI, Cartek, ARE, PP, GTP, RGR, etc) can send a head to a shop that would then measure runner size, flow a random port (I really doubt that in some cases, the port that is to be flowed doesn't get some "special attention" ), but it will probably never happen.
Old 10-25-2003, 03:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Some people around here are so touchy. I really don't see how this thread could be used to start sh*t. He just asked a simple question to see what size cam vendors are using to get the 450+ numbers. Truth is, he prolly won't get an answer. The only one that I know is avalible is the Cartek 224/228. All the others have been kept secret. Why, I don't know. If a cam only works with vendor "A's" particular heads, why would it be so important to somone else? You don't see 50 people rolling with the Cartek 224/228 cam now do you? The only thing I can see wrong with this post is that Spanky has a top secret cam of his own, that he knows the specs to, but won't reveal. Not that I care either way, just making a point.
Old 10-25-2003, 03:39 PM
Shorty Director

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
Some people around here are so touchy. I really don't see how this thread could be used to start sh*t. He just asked a simple question to see what size cam vendors are using to get the 450+ numbers. Truth is, he prolly won't get an answer. The only one that I know is avalible is the Cartek 224/228. All the others have been kept secret. Why, I don't know. If a cam only works with vendor "A's" particular heads, why would it be so important to somone else? You don't see 50 people rolling with the Cartek 224/228 cam now do you? The only thing I can see wrong with this post is that Spanky has a top secret cam of his own, that he knows the specs to, but won't reveal. Not that I care either way, just making a point.
Good Point..
Old 10-25-2003, 07:14 PM
TECH Junkie

I love watching Country Boy and Vince go round and round. I wonder what started that? I can say from talking to JPR myself that he is honestly scared of other people taking his specs copying them, selling it cheaper, and making him less money. I believe he really does want to share the specs with others for the technical aspect of it and because he is proud of his work,, The truth however is that the business side of anything is corrupt and people lie, steal, and walk on/over others to make money. IMO you can't blame anybody for wanting to protect their own hard work. This is the real reason for the "secret specs".

Back on topic though,,, One thing I can say about my cam even though It's not the exact specs is that it does not buck in the 1300-1500 rpm range and the idle is better than my TR 224 cam but I do have tuning now so the idle may be a mute point. I also have above 350 tq at 3200/3300 which is pretty good and my peak hp hits around 6100/6200 rpm so maybe some of you can draw some basic conclusions from this as to the cam specs.