Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

How does this damage look?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 03:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How does this damage look?

Hey, I was in an accident a couple of months ago and wondering how much the damage I received would cost to fix, approximately. It's staring to become an eyesore.. not very visible, but you know its there.

The black scuffs are pretty much all off, but if you can see, that horizontal streak going from the quarter panel to the door is a little dented into the body along that whole line. From the start of the wheel well to a bit after the door starts.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aetos
Hey, I was in an accident a couple of months ago and wondering how much the damage I received would cost to fix, approximately. It's staring to become an eyesore.. not very visible, but you know its there.

The black scuffs are pretty much all off, but if you can see, that horizontal streak going from the quarter panel to the door is a little dented into the body along that whole line. From the start of the wheel well to a bit after the door starts.
A reputable body shop ( yes even the Chevy/Pontiac dealer) should quote around $500 if you are paying out of pocket. If you use insurance that # will go up significantly. Make sure you tell the estimator that it is a cash deal , no insurance.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you look at the door when it's open, did it crack the skin from the rest of the door?
Old 04-09-2009, 11:30 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brangeta
If you look at the door when it's open, did it crack the skin from the rest of the door?
No, Upon further investigation, the door doesn't seem to be dinged in like the quarter panel either.. the door seems to just have paint damage.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're really lucky then! I had to have my entire door replaced because it got cracked.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Aetos
No, Upon further investigation, the door doesn't seem to be dinged in like the quarter panel either.. the door seems to just have paint damage.
You won't have damage like the quarter panel cause the door is fiberglass. It wiill usually sustain a fair amount of shock before it cracks.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:20 PM

Looking at your damage on the door I can tell you for sure it is not just paint damage. Those cracks go into the smc shell on the door. Even if you do not see any damage on the inside jamb the damage goes through the skin itself. It is repairable but be sure the tech uses the right repair material front and back to prevent further cracking. The qtr. pannel is easily repairable. Things to keep in mind. The right way to repair this is to to remove all bolted on parts on each pannel so the clear can be sprayed to the ends and edges of each pannel. Otherwise the paint peeling is not only possible but very likley. If a body shop give you a different est. for an insurance or customer pay run fast because the repair will be subpar. The more educated you are about your damage the better the repair will be.
Good luck.

Last edited by Reliablevetteman; 06-21-2009 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:41 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Reliablevetteman
Looking at your damage on the door I can tell you for sure it is not just paint damage. Those cracks go into the smc shell on the door. Even if you do not see any damage on the inside jamb the damage goes through the skin itself. It is repairable but be sure the tech uses the right repair material front and back to prevent further cracking. The qtr. pannel is easily repairable. Things to keep in mind. The right way to repair this is to to remove all bolted on parts on each pannel so the clear can be sprayed to the ends and edges of each pannel. Otherwise the paint peeling is not only possible but very likley. If a body shop give you a different est. for an insurance or customer pay run fast because the repair will be subpar. I am the Corvette body tech for a Dallas area dealer. The more educated you are about your damage the better the repair will be.
Good luck.
I agree 100% on this. Sometimes the walk-in estimates are even written at a higher rate, especially for materials. The biggest customers are the insurance companies, who are slow to adopt this year's going rate, but you & I will have to pay it. A shop who thinks it's ok to cheat an insurance company, may think it's ok to cheat you too; and you're less likely to realize it until it's too late. It's hard to estimate accurately how much body time is needed just from your pics, but this is likely $600-$650. Most paint suppliers will warranty materials to good shops, but full refinish on each panel with all parts removed prior is always required.

Quick Reply: How does this damage look?