Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP headers now state...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 01:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SLP headers now state...

"NOT LEGAL FOR USE ON POLLUTION CONTROLLED VEHICLES"

It's been a while since I've browsed these forums and parts sites but...

My current jethot LT w/ ORY is bugging the hell out of me. It's rattly, leaky, hangs way too low and is Illegal. If I actually put the cats in, after one stomp on the gas, the pipes separate. And do the same without the cats and it's like sending a female pig in heat call to all surrounding cops within the square mile.

So I figured I'd look into a more legal, better sitting stainless system. But what's the point in opting for a 'more legal', Catted Y - Long tube set up if it's still stated as being illegal on our daily drivers? Trust me, I searched and found nothing.

It just makes me nervous knowing that the local staties are running around with portable sniffers. If that were to be me, my car'd be towed with a $5k bail on 'er for running an environmentally unfriendly set up.

Any inputs?
Old 04-14-2009, 01:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, in a lot of states (like NY), headers & ORY by themselves aren't illegal unless they're seen or heard. Any legitimate shop WILL pass you with headers & ORY, but if a cop sees them or hears them, and he's got his panties on backwards, he'll probably give you a ticket for noise polution; or "improper equipment."
Old 04-14-2009, 01:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As long as your headers support AIR & EGR, you should be completely legal.

Either way, though, you need cats.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:44 PM
Launching!

Right. Well, I've already gotten a ticket - "Harsh and objectional noise when starting". At court, I presented print off's from the site I purchased my system from that stated "50 state legal". But now, if this were to happen again... I'm not asking how to get a sticker on an illegal car, I'm asking how to have a legal car that sounds just as good and doesn't rattle or have an exhaust leak.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

"50 state legal" means it will pass inspection. It doesn't mean you won't get a ticket for it.

I have the full SLP Loud Mouth II setup with LTs, AIR, EGR, ORY, cats, stock O2s, & bullet resonator. It doesn't leak or rattle and it just passed inspection. It is, however, LOUD. I haven't got a ticket yet, but it doesn't mean I never will. But I did get stopped because of it once.

If yours is rattling or leaking, you've got other problems.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Consider yourself lucky-here any LT is illegal.

Bast of luck to ya. Keep the cats, get a nice set of highflows (thunderbolt's are like 55 bucks a piece) and there wont be any noticable difference except for a better sound/less rasp.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NonGoggleGuy
As long as your headers support AIR & EGR, you should be completely legal.

Either way, though, you need cats.
Umm no. Any long tube header is illegal. Any time you move your cats further back than the factory location is no no.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your Jet Hot Catted Y "separates" when you stomp the gas?! ****, man! I'm in the middle of installing one on my car. You should let Jet Hot know this is happening. You better believe I will if this happens to me.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hard Core Z28
Umm no. Any long tube header is illegal. Any time you move your cats further back than the factory location is no no.
Wow. He's right. I just did a search. I didn't know this... Is this a recent law????

Still, unless the mechanic has a slip-fist in his ***, I don't think he'd fail you for it; given your emmissions #s were all good.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:09 PM
Launching!

Ahh. Oh well.

And yes, Mumbles. It separates. I've jerry-rigged both the cats and straight pipes though so it doesn't happen. I just drilled a whole on either side of the connecting pipes and made some short pegs to hold the cat or straight pipe in place. Then I cover the whole joint with exhaust cement and wrap the band clamp around it all. It'll sound normal for about 3-4 drives. Shorter If I go WOT. As soon as there's any flex, the cement cracks off and leaks at that joint.

I do however have a good local private shop that's always inspected my car. Pretty cool dude. Always has muscle cars in his lot. Just getting sick of my system.