Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Valentine 1 Concealed Display Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 04:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Valentine 1 Concealed Display Install

So I finally took the time to do all of this and I am very happy with how it came out. The first and obvious thing you need is a Valentine 1 Radar Detector (Basically the best one out there), the Valentine 1 Concealed Display, Splitter, Various Power Cords.

I wanted the V1 to be mounted high, but no wires running, this is why I decided to tackle all of this. I ran a 10-15ft ( I forget!) phone cord from the detector, through the headliner, down the pillar, down the dash, under the dash, and into the area in front of the shifter. You can see it, white was the only color I found when I did this. It is just standard phone cord. Too long of a cord will not power the V1 up I found, so if it is in the 10-15 foot range you should be fine. Post if 15 is too long, but I think you'll be good.

Next I purchased a splitter from a seller on ebay who basically makes the specifically for this - I am going to give the link to the auction, but the sellers name is safe-n-sound1 - Over 5000 positive feedbacks and very fast shipping. The splitter they send it prewired with a fuse built in, very nice item for this setup.

From there all it took was a little wiring. The neat thing is its all snap in phone cording for the V1. I ran the power to the splitter, which I got it from the cigarette lighter wire, just spliced into it. The problem is this thing is always on, so I wired in a switch. This I got from Advance Auto Parts. The red LED is a little too bright, so I took a small paint brush and put a drop of Black RTV Sealer over it to dim it a bit. Worked out well. That all wired up very simply, if you are a newbie at wiring switches, you are just like me and just need to hit up google, so easy anybody could do it.

Finally, I took a plate from 6LE that is for the console area. Trimmed it down, cut a hole for the V1 remote display, mounted it with some double sided 3M tape and that's it. For my first try at something custom I am more than happy with it and felt I needed to let everyone know how easy it ended up being. I just needed to put together all the parts and go for it. I decided against a remote mute button because the concealed display mute button is right by my finger when I'm shifting. Any questions please ask, pictures should be posted as well below. The extra hole below the display is for the slp fan switch. I just need to run the wire from under the hood, been busy. I know the interior needs swept, just been busy finishing up school for the year, it will be taken care of!

Here is the ebay splitter link - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=350061552520

www.valentine1.com
https://store.valentine1.com/store/

Last edited by aerojt; 04-20-2009 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to hate or anything, but IMO that is a terrible place to mount it. You have to look down and away from the road. I personally would've mounted it on the steering column or maybe at the base of the gauge cluster. Even in the corner of the dash near the a-pillar would've been a good spot as well.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:34 PM
Launching!

regardless of the somewhat bad mount point, its still ******* sweet. I hardwired my electical cutout switch into my ashtray (with the help from a buddy whos a little more knowledgable than me!) and its pretty cool too
Old 04-20-2009, 06:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah I figured that was the best spot to place it for me. The part in front of the gauges is ok, but it shows too many wires. I wanted it low so drivers and officers don't see it from behind. To be honest if it beeps I don't instantly snap my eyes down. I am still glancing upwards to the actual unit out of habit, but overall it's a solid spot that is out of the way, which is what I was going for.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

pretty nice I have mine installed inside the gauge cluster casing and you can hardly see the wire in the inside.
I also have a blendmound on my rear view mirror for my v1
Old 04-22-2009, 03:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

That blend mount is cool, I Like taking my detector down when I park sometimes too. Can you do that with the blend mount?
Old 04-22-2009, 03:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What is the purpose of that when you get pulled over..? The cop will still see it by your mirror up there anyways.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by aerojt
That blend mount is cool, I Like taking my detector down when I park sometimes too. Can you do that with the blend mount?
yup real easy to put in and take out.

since it uses your original valentine 1 holder but without the suction cups
Old 09-05-2009, 05:21 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks GREAT! Very nice job on the cutting...
Old 09-05-2009, 06:19 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AronZ28
Not to hate or anything, but IMO that is a terrible place to mount it. You have to look down and away from the road. I personally would've mounted it on the steering column or maybe at the base of the gauge cluster. Even in the corner of the dash near the a-pillar would've been a good spot as well.
You'd be surprised...I've had mine mounted down there for the better part of the last 6 years, and it works very well. You kinda just get used to it being down there...

Originally Posted by fccs
What is the purpose of that when you get pulled over..? The cop will still see it by your mirror up there anyways.
The purpose is so that people don't just follow you mooching off of your radar detector - I've had it done multiple times, and the V1 is VERY easy to spot being used when it is on the windshield (the arrows are a dead give away).

But now that you mention it, I have been pulled over by a cop right after he tagged me with a laser - as soon as the V1 gave me the warning, I put on the brakes. He pulled me over and said "Where's the radar detector?" I had to point it out to him since he didn't see it at first, to which he replied "You know those things don't work right? Because by the time you've been warned, I've already clocked you..."

I just nodded and said "I know..." - but I didn't mention how many times it has saved my *** from the exact same thing.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:31 AM
On The Tree

The install looks great. I've been looking for a place to mount my concealed display for awhile now but could never seem to find something good. These cars are tricky. I use that little cubbby a lot, so I doubt I will be doing this.

Question. Is that the older V1? Yours looks different from mine.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah it is an older version. For $200 they will send me the brand new one, just been putting it off till next spring.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pics of the BlendMount?
Old 05-07-2011, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TruBloodTransAm
Pics of the BlendMount?

in the pic the mirror isnt straight thats why the radar/mount kinda looks like its crooked. it really sits flush though. i would recommend it.

and this is where I have my v1 dislpay at
Old 05-08-2011, 01:18 PM
On The Tree

I like how its inside the cluster. That's sweet.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by f-body.cbct
I like how its inside the cluster. That's sweet.
thanks man. yea I had to put it somewhere where I can see it at without having take my eyes off the road. also somewhere where i would be able to see the lights going off at night. also each radar band is a different color instead of the stock red for all bands
Old 05-08-2011, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bobbyd
also each radar band is a different color instead of the stock red for all bands
Does the concealed display come that way or did you solder colored LEDs?
Old 05-09-2011, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TruBloodTransAm
Does the concealed display come that way or did you solder colored LEDs?
i had a guy from another forum do it for me. i'll get a picture of it tomorrow.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:45 AM
Teching In

Sweet

Quick Reply: Valentine 1 Concealed Display Install