Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone familiar with NY state emissions inspection ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 03:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone familiar with NY state emissions inspection ?

Got a 96 obdii caprice, looking to do an LQ4 install with Ls1 ecm(pcm).

found this:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=136846
Why do people give out information when they clearly don't have a clue what they're talking about? Inspection shops in NY state have absolutely NO CHOICE but to hook the computer up to the an OBD-II car, the system will not issue a sticker without it. There is no way around it
The DMV computer doesn't check for a VIN mismatch, and even if it did, you wouldn't fail because of it. You failed because of the SES light. Fix that problem and you'll pass the inspection.
Wondering if anyone knew if this was accurate. Can I get away with just running a car (non truck pcm), or will the non-matching vin throw a wrench in the cogs ?

Called speartech regarding a harness etc, cool guys, but they are not up on my states laws/emissions swap requirements.

Last edited by attilahooper; 04-27-2009 at 06:37 AM.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:01 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since they read the VIN from the PCM, I don't think you'd pass with a non-matching PCM VIN. There are way to change the PCM VIN to match the vehicle VIN, I've evn put forgien car VIN's in them, but it does screw up some scanners. As far as the SES light, you can turn off almost, if not everytrhing, that makes its come on, so that shouldn't be an issue
Old 04-27-2009, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

EPA says engine swaps are legal as long as the engine came from a newer vehicle that is subjuct to the same emissions standards, is equal to or larger than the original engine (or optional engine), and all emissions eguipment is connected and operationg. I would assume you would have to have the VIN in the PCM from the vehicle it came from to prove the engines origin.

Deleting a code from the PCM might keep the light off but the effected system will not show ready to test and could cause a failure.

Just connect everything and you should be good

Re'
Old 04-27-2009, 01:10 PM
Staging Lane

thx for the responses. I'm gonn talk to my inspection guy and get back.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:21 PM
12 Second Club

It will issue a sticker with the wrong vin. I have done it at work by mistake. I enter the Ro number and scan the registration. The machine will read the vin and then determine if the ses light is and if it has passed the readiness checks. The only thing is if that station ever gets an audit and they find that. There is going to be some explaining to do. What part of NY do you live in because it is different for the metropolitan area and the non metro area.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice to know. It's easy enough to change the VIN but I'm not sure if that would couse any other problems.

Re'
Old 04-27-2009, 11:04 PM
Staging Lane

damn JD, I'm in metro. Long Island to be exact. Ummm, can I get away with programming the pcm with the 96 caprice vin ?
Old 04-28-2009, 04:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
EPA says engine swaps are legal as long as the engine came from a newer vehicle that is subjuct to the same emissions standards, is equal to or larger than the original engine (or optional engine), and all emissions eguipment is connected and operationg. I would assume you would have to have the VIN in the PCM from the vehicle it came from to prove the engines origin.

Deleting a code from the PCM might keep the light off but the effected system will not show ready to test and could cause a failure.

Just connect everything and you should be good

Re'
But the EPA also says you can't put truck motors in cars, which is what his plans are
Old 04-28-2009, 04:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by attilahooper
damn JD, I'm in metro. Long Island to be exact. Ummm, can I get away with programming the pcm with the 96 caprice vin ?
Just have 2 pcm's one you run around with every day and one to get you through emissions
Old 04-28-2009, 09:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my conversion project emissions tested in Dallas TX last week. It's a 2000 truck with a 2003 engine/pcm (with a 2003 VIN in the PCM). The OBD2 check didn't need the 03 VIN at all. It just looked at the 2000 Truck VIN. I told the emissions tester that the motor had been swapped from a V6 to a V8. He added the engine size and # of cylinders.

Checked for readiness flags, Stored MIL's, DTCs, checked the gas cap and did a visual to verify that all of the emissions components for a 2003 powertrain were in place.

It passed.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:51 AM
Staging Lane

Thx for the quick replies folks.

They never sniff my '96 GM cars, just a plug-in scan. I guess if they are told it's an engine swap then they have to sniff it, but I want to avoid that.

true it's a truck motor, but it will appear to be an LS car through the pcm

OK, just talked to speartech. LS pcm wont take the 96 caprice vin. He said they would put a camaro vin on it.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Technically, the Fed laws will override any local or state laws, just because the local or state doesn't require the test, check or look for the equipement, doesn't mean it is legal to remove or modify the OEM smog equipement.

The general rule of swapping is that you can swap a newer Car motor to a older car (not a truck motor). A newer Truck engine into a older truck (not a Car motor).

You must also be able to pass the car or truck to the same standards or specs as the newer engine, which mean installing all of the smog equipement (CAT, EGR, PCV, sensor, O2, PCM, etc) of the newer engines. Flashing out the code it technically illegal. Most states will exempt cars older than 25 to 30 years or older than 1975 or 1976 year model (about the same time the CAT was required on all cars and trucks).

Most states will base there laws and rule from the California DMV laws. I am not saying not to do anything, so don't flame me. But if you ask the question, you should know what your getting into technically and legally. Ask around to other to see what they have gotten away with, what they needed to comply with and even talk to the smog tech. What one may get away with may get someone else into legal problems.

Good luck.. and keep us posted on your swap getting tested.

I live in California and sometimes wish I live somewhere where they are a little bit more easier on what they are testing for.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:17 AM
Staging Lane

I just talked to Bryan Herter over at pcmforless.com He's done a couple of PCMs for my stock B and D bodies. Well, he says he can force a 96 Caprice VIN onto an LS pcm.

Crazy, ain't it ? Now, I highly doubt that the ahem (dot)gub software would be capable of having a database of the format of all VINs to cross reference the vehicle. But it is possible, just sayin'.

In other words, if the scan could id the type of pcm and cross reference that with the vehicle type and year it could be possible to expose the mismatch. But that is highly doubtful.

I think I'm in business again. Anyone got a cheap LQ block in the NY metro area ?
Old 04-30-2009, 02:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by attilahooper
Thx for the quick replies folks.

OK, just talked to speartech. LS pcm wont take the 96 caprice vin. He said they would put a camaro vin on it.
Tell Speartech to find a good programing package, I've even put foreign car VIN's in LS1 PCM's, for the guys doing the RX7 swaps. As long as its a standard 17 digit VIN it should go in
Old 04-30-2009, 02:56 PM
Staging Lane

I'll stick with pcmforless for the flash, he's a friend to the impalaSSforum denizens. But I'll definitely get the speartech harness, i have more money than patience

Quick Reply: Anyone familiar with NY state emissions inspection ?