General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

10 bolt rear question

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 09:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 10 bolt rear question

I removed my 12 bolt and am looking for a 10 bolt. I have a 4 channel car with traction control. Will a 3 channel rear work and just not have traction control? Will the brake lines be totally different? Thanks
Old 04-28-2009, 09:36 AM
Teching In

Smile rearend

i know this does not answer your question but are you going to sell that 12 bolt.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:46 PM
Teching In

interested in the 12 bolt if your going to be getting rid of it
Old 04-30-2009, 10:02 PM
Teching In

I am going to clean it up and paint it and then it will be for sale. I would love to find a 10 bolt soon though. I want to get the car back together.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:12 PM
TECH Resident

why are you going to switch to a crappier rear?
Old 05-01-2009, 10:07 AM
Teching In

I will not be seeing the track anymore due to the roll bar rule. I have a caged Mustang I am putting a LS1 in so I am just selling the parts and going back to stock. I don't want 2 cars with cages.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:29 AM
Teching In

Anyone??
Old 05-04-2009, 08:21 AM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well to answer your first question, yes a three channel will work. You will definately kick the abs light on though. The rearends are physically the same, the difference is in the abs resolution. The 4 channel reads from each tire, where as the three reads from the two fronts and the differential in the back. So as long as you don't mind an abs light then it'll work just fine. Make sure you get it from rotor to rotor as the brakes from the 4 channel are slightly different if I'm not mistaken.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:09 PM
Teching In

Thanks!!!
Old 05-05-2009, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on the 3 channel rear cars, there might be only 1 brake line running down the car to the just before the rear, where there's a flexible brake line about a foot long connecting that hard line to the hard line mounted on the rear. The flex line is so the rear can move up and down. When i bought the stainless braided brake line kit for mine, which is 4-channel, I searched high and low and bought the kit which has 2 of those flex lines going to the rear. All the other kits come with just 1 line, which is for the 3-channel rear. So if I'm correct, you would have to T in the two hard lines coming down the car into 1 line then connect that to the rear, or maybe undo the T on the rear and make some brake lines to connect the two hard lines coming down.
And then have the 4-channel stuff programmed out of the PCM, I would imagine that's all they do at the factory for cars that have 3-channel rears. Because it's a 3-channel rear there's no way you can have traction control, the hardware isn't there. Not sure about ABS, without the sensor or wiring going into the differential to read that reluctor on the ring gear (which you don't have cause your car is set up for 4-channel) the PCM will probably have a fit regarding ABS. I suppose you could program that out of the PCM maybe, although ABS is good, and would require getting the sensor and figuring out how to wire that to your PCM.

Last edited by 1 FMF; 05-05-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:11 PM
Teching In

Thanks! I think I will hold out for a four channel
Old 05-10-2009, 05:19 PM
Teching In

as far as the actual TCS electrical part of it only: i don't know what you'd mechanically have to switch if anything

you could convert a 3 channel rear end to a 4 channel and vise versa. But if your TCS module is 4 channel you want to stay with a 4 channel system and if its 3 channel stay with 3 channel. It'd be stupid and a waste of money to spend hundreds on a different module and redo all wiring to match a couple hundred dollar rearend.

Here's what i mean though, say your TCS module is 3 channel and you found a 4 channel rear end, take the ABS rings off of the axle shafts, and buy/find an ABS ring to put between the ring gear and the diff, and drill out the hole in the top of the axle housing and buy the magnetic sensor.

Say your TCS module is 4 channel and you found a 3 channel rear end:

Keep the 3 channel sensor in the hole in the top of the housing, or block it of with jbweld or epoxy or something if you really want.
take the abs ring off of the ring gear/diff, buy/find 2 abs rings to put on each axle.

Hope this helps. But seriously its cheaper to get the right one for your module. This would only apply if you got a smokin deal on a 3 channel and you can transfer over your 4 channel rings to the axles.

hope this helps.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:11 AM
Teching In

I was told there was no such thing as 3 channel and traction control? I was under the impression all traction control cars were four channel. Is this wrong?