Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

nitrous question

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 05:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitrous question

if i put nitrous on my stock 98 z28 camaro A4 how much would my motor be able to handle without hurting anything cause i have a guy that wants to sell me a system for 250 and he said it would be able to handle a 150 shot all day long which to me sounds a bit crazy i could see a 50 shot maybe even a 75 but not 150 shot
Old 05-05-2009, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, they say a stock ls1 can handle a 150 shot, with a new fuel pump. I personally wouldn't push it, but anywhere from 50-100 would be fine and you could use the same fuel pump. It'll take the 150 shot, just needs a few slight mods.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:30 PM
11 Second Club

I run a 150 wet kit, and I havent had any issues. I personally think as long as you set it up right, have all the right stuff, and pull the timing you need, it will be fine. With whatever kit you go with, make sure to have a fuel pressure safety switch, I use a window switch, but some auto guys dont, I would. NEVER run it with TCS on, thats just a bad idea.. but should be fine. N20 does not fix a motor, so if its already burning oil, or not running top notch, I dont suggest you install anthing until you fix it, BUT if you know your running good, then I look at it just like anything else, it makes power..
Old 05-05-2009, 07:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Supporting mods, and TUNING. Otherwise no real problem with a 150 WET shot. Like mentioned, it won't fix anything and its going to emphasize any weak spots in your motor. Think it through and do it right. Then enjoy the 470 ft*lb.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah buddy, gotta love that nitrous torque curve. I have seen some serious torque being made just off a little bit of juice. Like these guys said, just be smart about it and don't rush into buying the first thing that comes along, make sure it is what you want and need.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:48 AM
Chris@NitroDaves

IF the car is completely stock then you could get awway with a 100hp shot without a problem. You could even go to the 150hp shot but thats about the limit of the stock engine components. Being that the car is a 98 you might want to upgrade teh stock pump to a racetronix unit for that just incase senario.

-Chris
Old 05-06-2009, 12:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Buy a walbro 255, get a tune for 150 shot, spray away... Did it for years and have never had a problem. You will enjoy the nitrous, it is my favorite mod I have ever done to my car. It is cheap and straight to the point. Best bang for the buck!!!
Old 05-06-2009, 08:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Chris@NitroDaves
IF the car is completely stock then you could get awway with a 100hp shot without a problem. You could even go to the 150hp shot but thats about the limit of the stock engine components. Being that the car is a 98 you might want to upgrade teh stock pump to a racetronix unit for that just incase senario.

-Chris
what about a cammed car? How hard can you hit it?
Old 05-07-2009, 09:38 AM
Chris@NitroDaves

The Factory pumps < from what we have seen > are only good to around the 480rwhp mark so if you plan on making over that with nitorus i'd defiantely upgrade the pump. Also with a cam if it has been tuned and the timing has been adjusted you will need to take out the appropriate amount of timing needed to support the nitrous as well. As long as you have the fueling and timing to support the nitrous then you could spray up to a 150hp shot on teh car without a problem.

-Chris
Old 05-07-2009, 01:21 PM
11 Second Club

The Factory pumps < from what we have seen > are only good to around the 480rwhp mark so if you plan on making over that with nitorus i'd defiantely upgrade the pump. Also with a cam if it has been tuned and the timing has been adjusted you will need to take out the appropriate amount of timing needed to support the nitrous as well. As long as you have the fueling and timing to support the nitrous then you could spray up to a 150hp shot on teh car without a problem.

-Chris
I have edit, hotwire kit and an upgraded pump so I'm good to go. I figured I could go 100+ on top of my cam but you never know.

this is what had me concerned:
about the limit of the stock engine components
This makes it sound as though 400-450RWHP is the limit of the stock motor itself, not the pump and etc. based on a typical 300RWHP stock car plus a 100-150 shot.