Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Easiest Header install

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easiest Header install

Hey, I have a 2002 Z28 with stock exhaust manifolds, stock y-pipe, Magnaflow high-flow cats, and SLP LM exhaust. I also have a UMI torque arm with relocation bracket (I'm mentioning these because they are close enough to cause problems possibly).

I AM NOT asking which type of LT headers will "make the most power" or "sound the best" or anything like that. I have been searching for hours, and my results don't answer my question too well:

Which type of LT headers install the easiest? Any set of LTs will be better than stock. Cost is a concern, but I do not want to get something cheap just to save money. BTW I am pretty mechanically inclined, as I rebuilt the engine in my 1988 Camaro and have put headers in that one.

Thanks!
Old 05-08-2009, 03:15 PM
TECH Resident

Well, alot of people have fitment issues with pacesetter. When we installed my jet-hot headers we only had to cut off a little piece of the casting tab off the k-member. Other than that they slid in pretty easy.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:23 PM
Staging Lane

Cool, thanks. I was thinking about Pacesetters actually, but not if they are too much of a you know what. I want something of decent quality and affordability and especially easy to install. Like I mentioned, I think any LTs will be a lot better. I won't worry about a couple hp, because I am mainly just looking at getting i the 12s (for now).
Old 05-08-2009, 04:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mcianci
Cool, thanks. I was thinking about Pacesetters actually, but not if they are too much of a you know what. I want something of decent quality and affordability and especially easy to install. Like I mentioned, I think any LTs will be a lot better. I won't worry about a couple hp, because I am mainly just looking at getting i the 12s (for now).
ARH are the ones I hear for the easiest, with Kooks being a close second.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tripps
Well, alot of people have fitment issues with pacesetter. When we installed my jet-hot headers we only had to cut off a little piece of the casting tab off the k-member. Other than that they slid in pretty easy.
I didnt have any issues with my pacesetters. They pretty much slid right in. Didnt have to knotch the K-Member either. That is a know issue with the old design they had. I got mine back in 04 and they were redesigned back then, so i dont think you would have to worry about that. I know people have had issues with headers and the 1 7/8 primaries. Thats going to be my next step. But, best bang for the buck IMHO is pacesetters.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

the 2 brands i know wont hit anything or give you a prob installing are Kooks and ARH. ive installed both (on jackstands) and were very easy w/ nothing to cut. you spend alittle more money for less headache.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:49 PM
12 Second Club

ARH mine were so easy to install. Its a easy one person job.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:52 PM
Staging Lane

Cool, thanks guys for the input. I will probably go with ARH or Kooks, because most people seem to think they are the ticket. If I can find a really good deal on Pacesetters, then maybe I'll do that and just hope for the best.

I appreciate it guys!
Old 05-08-2009, 09:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

My EDELBROCK Coated 1-7/8" went in easy.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:19 AM

Pacesetter. Easiest install ever. Just get the car high enough.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:41 AM
12 Second Club

Another vote for Pacesetter. Mine are great, fit great, good quality, and installed easy
Old 05-09-2009, 01:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've installed two sets of Jet Hot LT's w/emissions with minimal fuss. No cutting of anything. We did put a small dimple in the firewall of my buddy's 98 Z28 to get the drivers header in, but that was before installing the Poly Motor Mounts. After the mounts were in it slid up there no problem. About to start on a third set, just gotta get my bro's car in the air to get the bolts soaking. Like everbody says, just be sure you get the car high enough and they'll go in. I will admit, the next set of headers I get for my car will be ARH, b/c they are Stainless Steel and I've heard nothing but good things on here about them. Only bad part is, I think I'll have to start saving for them right now. $Cha-Ching$
Old 05-09-2009, 09:04 AM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Installed Kooks by myself on jackstands. Absolutely no issues - no cutting, hammering, etc. You need the front of the car high so the drivers side will go in easy.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:50 AM
12 Second Club

Jet Hot - no fitment issues whatsoever.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:42 AM
On The Tree

Just to et you know ecspecially if you do not run cats... You will NOT like the sound of your exhaust in the long run! The lm1 is wwwaaaaaayyyyyyy tooooo loud and obnoxious, just ask anyone who has them.. Just trying to let you know if you alredy didn't. I hear if you have the modular slp kit then the powerflow sounds real nice! And by the way I do like the sound of the lm1 on any car that has otherwise stock exhaust. JMHO
Old 05-09-2009, 12:01 PM
Staging Lane

I've got QTPs, and providing you can get your vehicle high enough, they install fairly well. I'm lowered 1 inch, and bought an 'off the shelf' Ypipe system and a borla. Love the Borla. Hate the ypipe and finally spent the money for a full custom cat and Ypipe to get it tucked up properly. 3 inch system. All that said, if I did it over I would by Mac mid lengths. You can still make very good power with them but you will not have the ground clearance issues that you have with any long tube. if you are lowered at all, this is a huge issue. I would buy coated Mac's or have them ceramic coated, and I would pay for a custom Ypipe instead of buying a theoretical off the shelf solution, throwing it away and THEN paying to have it properly layed out.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have installed both pacesetter and kooks 1 7/8-2inch. There was no difference between either.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Ours install as easy or easier than most systems out there. If you have questions call the shop or shoot me a PM
Old 05-10-2009, 07:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

My Hooker 1 3/4s installed easily. It only took one person to do the drivers side lmfao.

The passenger side wasnt bad except my buddy put the gasket on wrong ! DOH!

LOL
Old 05-11-2009, 12:57 PM
Staging Lane

You might have an issue with your torque arm... Did you get the one designed to fit with LT's? and im pretty sure they make a special one for Kook headers

Quick Reply: Easiest Header install