LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Trans Am takes a long time to start

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 07:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans Am takes a long time to start

When i start my Trans Am it takes nearly four seconds for it to start, included is a link to a sound clip of it starting

i have a 1996 Trans Am with 70000 miles
I just changed the fuel filter yesterday and i am currently running lucas fuel injector cleaner through it as we speak

http://telvanni.no-ip.biz/start.mp3

Last edited by anolis; 05-11-2009 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Any codes come up? When was the last time a rotor and cap replacement, spark plugs and wires? Modifications? Are you sure its a fuel issue?
Old 05-11-2009, 07:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Test your fuel pressure at KOEO, idle, and WOT under load.

Does your pressure drop to zero after priming?
Old 05-11-2009, 07:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by halucinator
Any codes come up? When was the last time a rotor and cap replacement, spark plugs and wires? Modifications? Are you sure its a fuel issue?
There are no codes, and im not sure on any of the replacement stuff as i just got the car last friday. No im not sure its a fuel issue it could be anything. I just went out to the car to check a spark plug and see if it was fouled but i can't even figure out where the spark plugs are :/
Old 05-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Test your fuel pressure at KOEO, idle, and WOT under load.

Does your pressure drop to zero after priming?
Okay i figured out what those acronyms meant, but i have no way of testing fuel pressure. How do i tell?
Old 05-11-2009, 07:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by anolis
I'm not really sure what KOEO or WOT is, could you please explain further?
KOEO = Key On, Engine Off. Means to turn the key to the "ON" position but do not start the car. You should hear the fuel pump prime and you should see pressure on the gauge.

WOT = Wide Open Throttle (flooring it). You need to secure the gauge somehow so that you can see it while driving. You need to watch it when you floor it under load (aka while driving) and see if the pressure holds.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Okay i figured out what those acronyms meant, but i have no way of testing fuel pressure. How do i tell?
You need to pick up a fuel pressure gauge. I believe Autozone has them available for use with 40 bucks deposit.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:52 PM
Teching In

oh alright, does it plug into the obd II sensor port?
Old 05-11-2009, 08:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

oh alright, does it plug into the obd II sensor port?
Negative.

You hook it up here:
http://shbox.com/1/fuel_schrader_valve.jpg
Old 05-11-2009, 08:22 PM
Teching In

it sounds to me like it is loseing its prime and thats why its taking so long to start
Old 05-11-2009, 08:28 PM
Launching!

Mine did the same thing as the fuel pump was on it's way out... It would start, but took about 5 seconds or so to fire up... I'm pretty sure (correct me if I'm wrong here, pro's) but if you turn the key to the "ON" position, you should be able to hear the fuel pump prime up. Yours probably isn't doing this... If you hear the "buzz" of the priming, your pump should be OK. If you don't hear it, you know that's the problem!
Old 05-11-2009, 08:53 PM
Teching In

Well I just went out there and did a KOEO and did indeed hear the fuel pump prime. I waited for it to stop and then went ahead and tried starting it, it started much faster than usual. But still was a little slow. It did seem to be at a more "normal" threshold of time but im not sure if it is actually right?

Included is a sound clip of the startup this time

http://telvanni.no-ip.biz/start2.mp3

So I guess I'm just not giving it enough time to prime? Could it be that my fuel pump is priming too slowly? Or am I starting it too quickly?
Old 05-11-2009, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

When I got my car it was a long crank before start too. About the same mileage. I decided to upgrade to the fuelpump to support future mods and when I pulled it out of the tank the flexible hose that runs from the pump to the outlet on the sender had a pinhole in it. It eventually would make enough pressure to start, especially if I cycled the key a few times. Definitely test the fuel pressure. If you do have to replace the pump I recommend going with the complete Racetronix kit.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the second start sound normal to me.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:39 AM
Teching In

Is it normal though that I have to sit in my car and wait for a couple of seconds for my fuel pump to prime before starting my car or is my fuel pump going bad or something?
Old 05-12-2009, 02:58 AM
TECH Regular

[QUOTE=Hawk465;11582320]I pulled it out of the tank the flexible hose that runs from the pump to the outlet on the sender had a pinhole in it. It eventually would make enough pressure to start,

yep mine was the same way the hose had been rubbing against the brack that holds the pump in place I replaced it with a auto zone crap pump and after 1 week it started to do the same thing so I bought a pressure gauge and once you turned the key off it lost pressure so I pulled the pump out and it was leaking at the out let on the new fuel pump there was a cheap hose clamp that they used to connect the hose on the pump so after complaining to auto zone they finnally refunded my $$$ and I went to NAPA and bought a deiphi pump that the hose had been molded onto the outlet and it worked great no more problem....

oh and as soon as you turn the key it fires right up and it doesn't matter how long its been sitting.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:05 AM

It happens to me too...
Old 05-12-2009, 11:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Is it normal though that I have to sit in my car and wait for a couple of seconds for my fuel pump to prime before starting my car or is my fuel pump going bad or something?
I usually wait 2 seconds after putting the key to the on position before starting the car, even with everything functioning normal. Get the pressure gauge like I told you to and then we can give you some real answers, otherwise everything is speculation.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:05 PM
Teching In

alright ill go ahead and get the pressure guage tonight.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:00 PM
TECH Regular

The o ring was leaking down in my fuel pump or something before I replaced it and it did the same thing. I found the pump was too small for the application anyway as the owner before me must have cheaped out on the pump. Once I replaced it, fires right up every time and doesn't lean out at WOT. I don't have to give it any time to prime even if it has been sitting a while...days...so if it is bleeding down pressure, that is your problem.

In my case, even if you primed it, it leaked back down to zero so fast that if you let it go until it was not priming anymore...after the 5 seconds...it would drop to zero immediately and take a moment to fire after cranking.

If you need a new pump, get the proper one for your car. Don't get the cheapest thing you can as it will just cause you headache later.

Quick Reply: Trans Am takes a long time to start