Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

SPEC STAGE +3 clutch in Twin Turbo Z06=problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 08:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPEC STAGE +3 clutch in Twin Turbo Z06=problems

My buddy is having issues with the clutch he just put in his TT Z06. He's looking for a little advice and wanted opinions from this site because I always tell him how awesome it is! His car is getting a forged bottom end put in now and he upgraded the clutch but he is not sure about his choice. Any help would be appreciated because I really don't know jack about clutches! Here's a copy of his email describing the issue.....

I know you are at work, and maybe when you get home you could post something on the LS1 tech web page for me to get some possible feed back....

the clutch I went with seems to be bugging me a bit. It is the Spec stage 3+ with the aluminium fly wheel.

It is broken in, with around 1500 miles on it.

At idle, when you do not have the clutch depressed, it rattles, kinda bad. enough to bug you... If you start the car, leave it in neutral, and pull the e-brake and get out while its running, you can hear it rattling real bad. everyone who i have talked to says that it is what it is, since you went with light weight everything, (clutch, plate, flywheel) its just the slack vibrating around. im not sure if i like this. it sounds like a beater when idling. BUT when you push the clutch in, NO NOISE AT ALL. and it responds real well, only at idle do you hear any lash/chatter. ??? someone told me to go with a heavier flywheel.../??? i dont know what to do.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:52 PM
Launching!

Heres some pics of his car, this thing is SICK! Made 657 RWHP @ only 5psi

Old 05-13-2009, 10:01 PM
Launching!

Anyone?
Old 05-14-2009, 06:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

OMG, I just shot my load! That Vette is freakin' sick. Thanks for the pics.

As to the "noise," when in neutral, the flywheel, PP, & friction plate are all clamped together by the force of the PP. So, I don't really know why someone would say that it's just slack between the 3. Did he install the spring on the throwout bearing? If not, maybe the PP fingers are slipping against the face of the throwout bearing. If the lightweight PP fingers are made from an aluminum alloy, it could make a hell of a sound. Even w/ the spring installed, there can be a little noise from that area. I'd say, add the spring if not there or just live w/ the sound.

I have a billet steel FW, a full weight clutch assembly & the throwout bearing spring installed & it makes a little noise in neutral as well. Not much, but can be heard if listening for it.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:14 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1-450
OMG, I just shot my load! That Vette is freakin' sick. Thanks for the pics.

As to the "noise," when in neutral, the flywheel, PP, & friction plate are all clamped together by the force of the PP. So, I don't really know why someone would say that it's just slack between the 3. Did he install the spring on the throwout bearing? If not, maybe the PP fingers are slipping against the face of the throwout bearing. If the lightweight PP fingers are made from an aluminum alloy, it could make a hell of a sound. Even w/ the spring installed, there can be a little noise from that area. I'd say, add the spring if not there or just live w/ the sound.

I have a billet steel FW, a full weight clutch assembly & the throwout bearing spring installed & it makes a little noise in neutral as well. Not much, but can be heard if listening for it.
Cool, thanks for the info! Anyone else have any input?
Old 05-14-2009, 11:22 AM
Staging Lane

I know this sounds dumb but what about the throw out bearing? All the clutches I have had did this with a bad throw out bearing. Even if i had replaced it with new aftermarket(parts store) I have to use a new gm piece and its quiet.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

I doubt its the flywheel, disc, or plate because they are all sandwiched together tightly. The throwout bearing or the pilot bearing are two likely culprits.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:39 AM
Launching!

Good info, keep it coming!
Old 05-14-2009, 11:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Oh yeah another suspect is the trans input shaft bearing which can be damaged during the install if the input shaft gets banged up or bent.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:48 PM
Launching!

Awesome, thanks guys!
Old 05-15-2009, 01:06 PM
FormerVendor

Guys...having a bit of gear noise when using a lighter than OE component set isn't abnormal at all. Clatter, the sound that your friend is referencing, originates within the transmission and is also known as Gear-lash or Gear noise. Lightened components have less dampening. This does not indicate any problem or unexpected phenomena. I hope this info helps. If you friend would like to contact me for further info he can...my contact info is listed below. Thanks!
Old 05-17-2009, 07:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Guys...having a bit of gear noise when using a lighter than OE component set isn't abnormal at all. Clatter, the sound that your friend is referencing, originates within the transmission and is also known as Gear-lash or Gear noise. Lightened components have less dampening. This does not indicate any problem or unexpected phenomena. I hope this info helps. If you friend would like to contact me for further info he can...my contact info is listed below. Thanks!
Thanks for clearing that up, doesnt get any better than when it comes the man himself!
Old 05-18-2009, 09:51 AM
FormerVendor

No problem at all...just let me know if you have any further questions!