LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LTx Turbo Guru's... thinking about taking the leap

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 11:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LTx Turbo Guru's... thinking about taking the leap

Ok I am not planning on doing this all at once but I am looking to further the ground work and put the ground work down with all the toys I am selling off.

This is what I am looking to do I have around 2k max to play with from selling everything else off, it should actually be more but for now I am shooting low and can be happy with extra's.

I am looking at some Trickflow Heads, Really good Head gaskets and ARP Head bolts since I will be in there, Ported Intake Manifold and 52MM TB as well as some dyno tuning and maybe a few more cleaning items.

This is what has been done so far:
355LTx Build (Currently has 16000 Miles)
-GM 847 Cam Shaft
-Forged Rods
-Hyperuetectic Pistons
-Upgraded Valve Springs & Push Rods
-1.6 Roller Rockers

Along with bolt ons etc and other supporting mods.

Now With my current budget of 2k I am around 1500 with the my current goals. I expect more but after all this I was thinking about a few options, mainly the LSX ECU Conversion or maybe Nitrous... but then I realized doing a few further preparations inline with boost might be a better goal.

If I were to boost it would be a max of 10psi probably around 8Psi racing and 5Psi normal driving. It would be running water/meth injection the whole time as well as an intercooler.

I would want it reliable but I am not looking to go overboard.

Now when the motor was rebuilt to a 355 he used stock compression as well as the stock crank. I assume my Crank will be a weak point in all this. \

Either way, any thoughts from our guru's? Is it not a bad thing to keep preping for or should I just go for Nitrous and stick with NA and Nitrous Mods.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:48 PM
On The Tree

The setup is completly wrong for a turbo build. Also, unless you can fab a kit yourself plan on spending 5k+ just on the turbo kit and other things you'll need with it. Even with all fab and labor done it'll still easily cross 2500 in parts alone if you take the ultra cheap route. With the UN-boost friendy hyper-u pistons and the gm847 you're better off staying NA + a small shot.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:02 AM
On The Tree

If you look in the LTx for sale section I might have somthing and your budget needs to be alot bigger for FI.....its just the nature of the beast.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:09 AM
12 Second Club

I will be building my own. I thought the pistons might be wrong. For the masterpower turbo I would run it would be around 700-800.

But at this point it seems I might be right to stay na
Old 05-16-2009, 12:11 AM
TECH Veteran

pistons wrong for sure but can be used...whats ur compression anyway?
Old 05-16-2009, 12:17 AM
12 Second Club

Stock

Out of curiosity what is the difference with these pistons?
Old 05-16-2009, 10:10 AM
12 Second Club

Have you even got your current setup running right? If not then you should then you might change your future plans. If you have then ignore what I said
Old 05-16-2009, 10:12 AM
12 Second Club

Yes the Opti was bad as I thought originally and hoped against. Atleast now I know that replacement is out of the way..... for awhile.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Cross
Stock

Out of curiosity what is the difference with these pistons?
Hyperuetectic pistons are still a cast piston but with a higher silicon content which makes them a little harder and wear resistant that a regular cast pistons but no where near as strong as a forged piston.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cam is wrong for Forced Induction! motor will have too much compression with the factory heads you will need some TFS heads to lower the ratio or put new pistons in there to give you 8.5-9:1 comp. ratio.....not a well thought out combo bro you should do a search on Turbo Lt1 combos it will save you a ton of cash since you are headed to 10k in mistakes
Old 05-16-2009, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

your crank is the least of your problems. IMHO, for a reliable turbo setup figure at least 8-10k. sounds like a lot but just wait til you start breaking EVERYTHING on the car. rear, tranny, turbo kit, fuel system, a grand here and there adds up to alot fast. ask me how i know
Old 05-16-2009, 10:16 PM
12 Second Club

I have done a few builds as well as been around others I know. While the compression worried it it was not my main concern as a head change would lower it.

Personally since I did not build this motor its not really "Mistakes" I could do anything about as I did not get to build this motor.

However the more I look with my original plan of Heads and a 100 Shot I should be more than happy with the results.

I will leave the turbo to my other LQ project.