Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Did i ruin my new gears? (3.73's) Horrible whine after first hammer down!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 06:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did i ruin my new gears? (3.73's) Horrible whine after first hammer down!

Well, bought the car and the spyders were junk, so i went ahead and got a new (used) carrier for it as well as brand new 3.73 gears. Had them installed at an auto shop and the mechanic told me he had 110 miles on it and had already ran it through heat cycles. He told me just don't go over 60 or hammer it or beat on it for the next 200 miles and i should be fine. So i just cruise around for the 200 more miles and at the 220 mark i decided to hammer it, kicked down and ran it to about 100mph, backed out of it and hit the gas again at 60 and the rear end starts howling and whinning. Now the whine isn't noticable untill about 20mph when i'm accellerating and does not go away. From 20mph up to at least 70 (fastest i've had it for fear it will grenade on me) it whines really really bad. On decel it whines off and on, more noticably around 20mph when i sounds like a howl. but when i'm on the gas it whines horribly loud, embarrasingly loud. Were the gears not set right or what happened? I am going to try to call the guy and drop it back off tomorrow hopefully. I want to know if i screwed up by not breaking them in correctly or if the gears are junk or incorrectly set or what? Any ideas??
Old 05-20-2009, 08:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of two things. The carrier or pinion moved inside the case as a result of a bad setup. Or you burned them up as a result of not having them broke in enough yet. Either way, you can try to reset them and you might get lucky.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

pinion nut could have loosened a tad. let him check it to make sure everything is within spec. i hammered mine after 2 heat cycles and about 40 miles. alls good so far. i was going sideways today at fourty and only have about 250 miles on them.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:52 PM
Teching In

I'll lose my mind if the carrier is junk again, i could handle the ring and pinion at the most. I've read a lot of people taking they're cars out and hammering them pretty soon after new gears without problems, i believe they weren't set up correctly. Any more opionions? i'll keep everyone posted, thanks for the replies!!
Old 05-21-2009, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

whatever is goin on really sucks.... im having probs with my car right now too!!
Old 05-21-2009, 03:16 PM
10 Second Club

my bet would be incorrect set-up, i have installed hundreds of sets of gears and a couple heat cycles and they are broke in and ready to be tromped on!
Old 05-21-2009, 03:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something moved somewhere, I will go with a bad setup as well. What made you chose this shop/tech to do the gear install? Any idea on his experience installing gears? I wouldnt let joe mechanic try it out, at least not on something you plan on beating on.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:59 PM
Teching In

Well i had the guy do it because he came highly recommended, He had done 2 exhausts on my old gas trucks and i was told he knew what he was doing when i came to rear ends also, so i figured why not. Guess i screwed up, hope he will re set them for free, is that common?
Old 05-21-2009, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i was sideways comming out of the shop somethings up
Old 05-22-2009, 03:11 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by rmkleman
Well i had the guy do it because he came highly recommended, He had done 2 exhausts on my old gas trucks and i was told he knew what he was doing when i came to rear ends also, so i figured why not. Guess i screwed up, hope he will re set them for free, is that common?

installing an exhaust system and setting up a ring and pinion correctly are at totally different ends of the scale!

and NO it is not common to RE-SETUP your gears, ask him for all the specs when he set up your rear end

-pinion shim
-pinion bearing pre-load
-pinion depth (did he measure it? or make take pattern when he was done)
-case bearing pre-load
-backlash
-new crush washer or solid pinion spacer?
-new bearings and races or just re-used your old ones?
Old 05-22-2009, 07:50 AM
Teching In

I bought the install kit from summit when i purchased the ring and pinion, i realize it is 2 totally different things but i was told he does rear ends pretty good as well. Guess i should of went to a specialty shop for this? damn i just want to cruise and not be embarrased. Car goes back next week, what a horrible experiance with the rear end of this car!
Old 05-22-2009, 10:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by jay_lt4
installing an exhaust system and setting up a ring and pinion correctly are at totally different ends of the scale!

and NO it is not common to RE-SETUP your gears, ask him for all the specs when he set up your rear end

1-pinion shim
2-pinion bearing pre-load
3-pinion depth (did he measure it? or make take pattern when he was done)
4-case bearing pre-load
5-backlash
6-new crush washer or solid pinion spacer?
7-new bearings and races or just re-used your old ones?
to the OP, compare the answers you get with mine from a few 10 bolts i have redone (3.73s + 4.10s)

1 i usually reuse the factory one, i believe they are typically .035
2 I shoot for 25-30 inch/pounds. that has always produced a quiet rear end
3 they say the tool isn't very accurate so i always check wipe patterns
4 i look for total preload to be around 40 inch/pounds (thats without the axles in place) if my pinion is set to 25-30
5 i set mine slightly tighter then what Motive recommends (.007-.009). I shoot for the low end about .006-.007
6 i have used new crush sleeves each time with good success but will change to solid spacers if they dont hold up
7 I always use all new bearings AND races. On low mileage units i wont always do wheel bearings though.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:08 PM
Teching In

Well i guess i got a bad set of gears from summit? I have to mail them back to Summit and get a new set for free. I can't believe all the problems i've had with this car already!
Old 05-27-2009, 02:42 PM
TECH Resident

That's nothing..I have a story that would trump yours in spades..I was without my car for 3 weeks. On the 3rd gear set. 2 diff shops did it. The gears I have now whine some and howl on decel. Doubt that is normal,but the gears look fine.Just probably not set up correctly..

Quick Reply: Did i ruin my new gears? (3.73's) Horrible whine after first hammer down!