Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spring max lift question

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 07:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spring max lift question

so if the spring is recommended for .625 lift, should it be ok with lets say a .620 lift cam? reason i ask is is im going to around .015 from max lift and im wondering if that is too close for comfort. they are PSI spring and have heard they are Superior over the patriot golds which are recommended to .650 lift.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The total lift capability is measured. The numbers they provide are only guidance based on an installed height. Which PSI's are they, the 1511's?
Old 05-23-2009, 12:52 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by vettenuts
The total lift capability is measured. The numbers they provide are only guidance based on an installed height. Which PSI's are they, the 1511's?
yes. they came on the dart 225 heads that i got. dart said they are good to 525 lift. they also have .046 shim total under them if that means anything?
Old 05-23-2009, 07:12 AM
Restricted User

Those springs will work, If you set them up to match the cam.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:29 AM
TECH Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I spoke with a sponsor over the phone and was told when you run that close to the max lift on the spring it would work but you would need to check them often. So for a DD street car it's not that good of an idea unless you want to pop off the valve covers every couple weeks. But if your a drag only setup you'll be fine since you should be checking them often anyhow.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:51 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 1987firechicken
I spoke with a sponsor over the phone and was told when you run that close to the max lift on the spring it would work but you would need to check them often. So for a DD street car it's not that good of an idea unless you want to pop off the valve covers every couple weeks. But if your a drag only setup you'll be fine since you should be checking them often anyhow.
Let me guess, they sold you a set of their duel springs. Did the sponsor explain any of that? What was it that they said you needed to check? Just pulling a valve cover and taking a look isn't going to tell you anything unless one is broken.

If the OP sets the springs up properly they will work just fine. I would rather have the PAC 1518's but what you have will work. Like vettenuts said, "The numbers they provide are only guidance based on an installed height".
Old 05-23-2009, 07:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

You need to measure installed height. I have a spreadsheet that I made up of my Dart heads by measuring each with the shims in place and the retainer specific to that location. From the calculations you can figure out open clearance, clearance to the seal, etc. These springs will handle that lift, but I think they could end up light on the seat. From the sounds of your post you don't have the cam yet, maybe you should consider less lift. These are excellent springs with very light retainers.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:00 AM
Restricted User

You need to measure installed height. I have a spreadsheet that I made up of my Dart heads by measuring each with the shims in place and the retainer specific to that location. From the calculations you can figure out open clearance, clearance to the seal, etc. These springs will handle that lift, but I think they could end up light on the seat. From the sounds of your post you don't have the cam yet, maybe you should consider less lift. These are excellent springs with very light retainers.
Right, if he will set them up right he will be fine. Get the, from coil bind right, seat pressure and he will be just fine.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:57 PM
Launching!

i guess i will need to buy a height checker, and spring tester. im new to the valve train stuff, so this stuff is really helping.

i have the cam, it is the polluter cam from tick. i dont wat to give out to much info, as there site does not give out all the info.

Last edited by night ryder; 05-23-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by night ryder
i have the cam, it is the polluter cam from tick. i dont wat to give out to much info, as there site does not give out all the info.
so is the polluter some kind of secret cam or something
Old 05-23-2009, 08:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, you could buy the cam and get the specs yourself.

Its just marketing, like naming your camshaft "Phase 13", "Torquer v113.9878", or even "The Under-rated hurricane".

It grabbed your attention, it worked....
Old 05-23-2009, 08:34 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by night ryder
i guess i will need to buy a height checker, and spring tester. im new to the valve train stuff, so this stuff is really helping.

Height checker is a must if your going to set your springs up. No need for the spring checker. Just call the spring manufacturer and ask them for the proper pressures and the install height to match your cam.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Tick should be able to provide a seat value required. With that the rest of the setup will fall into line.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone know the rates of the popular beehives? PAC/PSI/Comp?
Old 05-24-2009, 07:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Last I knew, the PSI 1511's were 384 lb/in.