Old 06-25-2009, 06:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pilot Bushing Vs. Bearing

What do you all recommend?
Old 06-26-2009, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've used both. With the bushing you'll get more noise and vibration. The bearing is much smoother. I tried a bushing because my previous bearing had just blown apart. I used the bushing for about 30K miles and switched back to a bearing and have been much happier since.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:55 AM
Banned

Pilot bushings are nothing new. They have been around longer than I can even say for sure. Pilot bearings started showing up in the mid 80's and the factories have been using them every since. They last longer in OEM applications. When they do go down, it damages the tip of the input shaft of the unit and usually requires a new gear to be installed. A pilot bushing does not last as long but will not usually tear up the pilot tip on the input shaft. Pilot bushings are easier to remove in most cases while bearings usually have to be cut out or require a special puller to yank them out.

In the end, I would say both have their pros and cons. Personally I prefer the bearing over the bushing as long as its used properly and changed every time you service the clutch.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:37 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by PAGregSS
I've used both. With the bushing you'll get more noise and vibration. The bearing is much smoother. I tried a bushing because my previous bearing had just blown apart. I used the bushing for about 30K miles and switched back to a bearing and have been much happier since.
I agree with this.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've run both in mine and have noticed absolutely no difference. Got a bushing in there now, much easier to remove/replace and no risk of trashing the input shaft ($$$).
Old 06-28-2009, 02:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
I've run both in mine and have noticed absolutely no difference. Got a bushing in there now, much easier to remove/replace and no risk of trashing the input shaft ($$$).

same here.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:25 PM
TECH Resident

i went with the bushing because it is cheaper and if it lets go it wont take out the input shaft. so you could go with any one you want.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:31 AM
TECH Addict

My stock pilot bearing killed the input shaft on my tranny. $1280 rebuild
I went back with another pilot bearing... but only because I didnt know about the magical powers of the pilot bushing. Go with a bushing and forget about the possibility of a bearing turning into a mini lathe
Old 06-30-2009, 05:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by KurtRardin
My stock pilot bearing killed the input shaft on my tranny. $1280 rebuild :
ditto...pending. noisy as hell
Old 06-30-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by KurtRardin
My stock pilot bearing killed the input shaft on my tranny. $1280 rebuild
I went back with another pilot bearing... but only because I didnt know about the magical powers of the pilot bushing. Go with a bushing and forget about the possibility of a bearing turning into a mini lathe
I would suggest the input shaft wobble took out your pilot bearing. Typically front bearing wear/failure of input shaft goes and the pilot bearing/bushing is killed.

The pilot bushing or bearing is a passive unit and should not have any load put on them...just center the tip of input shaft. Both are "wear" items and need to be replaced with clutch.

as far as which one is better...GM & Tremac have found the bearing as better which is why that is the OEM install. IMHO either will work but again failure of that part is caused by issues with the tranny, typically.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:15 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

source. can you either pm me a price on the bearing or tell me where i can get one.

thanks

wait if i just order it from dealer. do the have bushing or bearing?
Old 06-30-2009, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

Input shaft failure... probably. The pilot bearing turned to dust, literally. When I took the trans off there was black dust everywhere. I thought, wow, this stock 132k mile clutch must be toast! It actually looked like it had 20k more miles on it. The trail of dust lead right to what used to be a pilot bearing.

Eh, 5th gear was toast anyawy, according to the man that rebuilt it for me. Now that I think about it... I seem to remember him saying that everything else looked good inside my trans, to include the input. I think this could have been some sort of strait pilot bearing failure.

My only real regret is that I was in a major hurry to move and I didn't have time to get Tick to do the work. I would have gotten some beast parts then

Their master cylinder is bad ***, if I might add.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:21 PM
10 Second Club

I like the bushings but I wear the bronze ones out every 5-7k on a street car.

Quick Reply: Pilot Bushing Vs. Bearing