Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI torque arm relocation install help

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 09:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UMI torque arm relocation install help

Quick question, is the spacer supposed to go on the passenger side or the driver side of the torque arm bushing for the relocation? The instruction wasnt very clear about that.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:29 AM
Launching!

and is the bushing mount supposed to be at this much of an angle?

Here it is with a ruler parallel to the bar on the top.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:31 AM
Launching!

No, the directions weren't clear at all on where it should go. I went ahead and installed mine on the driver side of the bushing. What I did was, with everything off the car, I bolted in and tightened the top of the U-shaped bracket that goes over the bushing (I don't know about you, but it looked like it was going to be very hard to get to those with the relocation crossmember in place), and then loosely mounted the crossmember where it is supposed to go, and slid in the torque arm. Then, I went ahead and tightened down the four 15mm bolts holding the crossmember to the body, and finally slid the spacer in between the crossmember and bushing, and then installed and tightened the lower two bolts that attach the U-shaped bracket to the crossmember.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a spacer? Mine didn't come with a spacer that I know of. Or is that part of the torque arm and bushing setup that you got?
Old 06-28-2009, 06:31 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Our newer relocation kits with instant center holes are supplied with a square aluminum spacer to prevent the bushing from crushing. The spacer goes between the bushing and the plate with multiple holes for adjusting instant center. Older versions had the spacer welded to the relocation bracket itself. The instructions are edited for this now... but some may have received older instructions.

Also the torque arm is correct and is not suppose to be straight.

Hope that helps,
Ryan
Old 06-29-2009, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the newer style one I guess with the instant center holes, like the one shown on your site. I never got a small aluminum spacer like that though. Is there a problem with not having one?
Old 06-30-2009, 07:09 AM
FormerVendor

Hello
Like Ryan said above, we offer the spacer so the bushing does not get crushed. There should have been a spacer with the hardware. PM me your info and I will be more than glad to get you a spacer out ASAP! If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help!
Thanks
Brad
Old 08-24-2009, 07:39 PM
Launching!

I still haven't installed the torque arm yet cause of time and yet another question. On the end of the torque arm that mounts to the differential there are 4 holes, which 2 holes am I supposed to put the bolts through the one closer to the inside of the car or away from the differential? It is on a stock 10 bolt.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:15 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by some_punk
I still haven't installed the torque arm yet cause of time and yet another question. On the end of the torque arm that mounts to the differential there are 4 holes, which 2 holes am I supposed to put the bolts through the one closer to the inside of the car or away from the differential? It is on a stock 10 bolt.
Hello
With that particular rear end I would suggest using the first set of holes on the bracket. The second set is for aftermarket rears that need more clearance. If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help!
Thanks
Brad
Old 08-26-2009, 11:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Hello
With that particular rear end I would suggest using the first set of holes on the bracket. The second set is for aftermarket rears that need more clearance. If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help!
Thanks
Brad
By first set you mean the one closer to the differential. What would happen if I mounted it on the other set of holes.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:37 AM
FormerVendor

By first set you mean the one closer to the differential. What would happen if I mounted it on the other set of holes.
Hello
Below is a link to show you the holes that I was explaining. If you have them on the second set of mounting holes you might have a clearance issue with the DS universal joint. Sorry for the confusion.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...bkrr6alr8rr4v7

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad
Old 09-01-2009, 10:45 PM
Launching!

just finished installing it last night, took a bit longer than expected. The settings from umi was perfect, did not need to adjust it. I placed it second hole from the top on the relocation. And left the torque arm as it is. Great product, feels alot more stable at high speed. But I do have one big complaint is that the top lock nut and bolt was really hard to get at. Took me quite a while to figure out how to tighten that bolt.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:07 AM
FormerVendor

just finished installing it last night, took a bit longer than expected. The settings from umi was perfect, did not need to adjust it. I placed it second hole from the top on the relocation. And left the torque arm as it is. Great product, feels alot more stable at high speed. But I do have one big complaint is that the top lock nut and bolt was really hard to get at. Took me quite a while to figure out how to tighten that bolt.
Hello
Yeah I understand that the bolt is a pain! But its good to hear that everything went well for you! And glad that you are satisfied with the product.
Thanks
Brad
Old 09-22-2009, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Hello
Like Ryan said above, we offer the spacer so the bushing does not get crushed. There should have been a spacer with the hardware. PM me your info and I will be more than glad to get you a spacer out ASAP! If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help!
Thanks
Brad
OH NO! i bought this part a while back and remeber the shiny little piece of aluminum but the instructions mentioned NOTHNG about it so ive been using mine for a while now with out it and dont know where it is.....anyway i can get one?
Old 09-22-2009, 09:36 AM
FormerVendor

Hello
Thanks for choosing UMI Performance. We do offer a flat bushing and all I need to get is your info on were to ship. Just get back to me either through PM or feel free to call me and I will get you one out.
Thanks
Brad

Quick Reply: UMI torque arm relocation install help