Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock ls6 heads or prc stage 2.5 5.3 heads

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock ls6 heads or prc stage 2.5 5.3 heads

ok so i am buying a set of heads and i was going to buy the prc heads and use them with my stock cam (for now didnt want to do the cam into i have built tranny and 12 bolt) but then i was on ebay and found a brand new set of ls6 heads still in the box for $800 which is $340 cheaper then the prc and like $200 cheaper then ls6 heads from sdparts so im thinking of geting the ls6 heads cause they have more potential then the 5.3 heads. which one would you guys do? i am planing on doing a nice sized cam in the futrure once i get my drivetrain in order. thanks
Old 07-02-2009, 06:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

from what I am told that LS6 heads are the way to go. 5.3's have some advantages aswell. The MS3 with the PRC 5.3's is a proven combo assuming you have supporting mods.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Between those 2 get the 243 heads then do a stage 2 port job by a reputable porter like TEA
Old 01-02-2015, 11:53 AM
Banned

Good info
Old 01-05-2015, 08:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

The heads from SDPC are ported...stock ls6 heads are not worth $800 ($500 tops if they have ls6 sodium filled valves) and will not gain you very much power.

Any other casting which is professionally ported will be better than a stock ls6 head.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Properly ported 5.3s will destroy any stock LS6 head. More flow, more compression = more power.

Now if you ported those LS6s I'd have to give them the nod in this comparison, but ported vs. stock it's a no brainer.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is a 6 year old thread that was bumped by so tool trying to spam his way to 50 post.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Fry_
This is a 6 year old thread that was bumped by so tool trying to spam his way to 50 post.
He got pretty close too!
Old 01-06-2015, 08:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

It's still not a bad thing to have proper info posted in the thread in case someone else finds it while searching.

It's getting too common on this site that noobs think bolting on stock ls6 heads for $500+ is even in the same ballpark as a ported 241 or 5.3 head.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fry_
Be nice if he was banned so his nonsense is a complete waste of time and doesn't get a chance to rip someone off in a week.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by axe murderer
I'm pretty sure they really don't care anymore, I've reported violations to the mods & they don't do anything about it.
It's not like it use to be, I think the only thing they care about is taking care of the sponsors since it seems like there a lot of "Former" vendors & sponsors.
I was "warned" for posting non sponsor stuff when we were a freaking sponsor!
Old 01-06-2015, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ummm.... He was banned.

wayneSS
Banned
Old 01-07-2015, 10:14 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Even though it's an old thread, it's worth mentioning that the PRC ported 5.3L heads will annihilate stock LS6 heads. You're looking at over 50 cfm increase in intake flow! Many cars out running around with the PRC stage 2.5 5.3L heads and MS3 cam with all of the supporting bolt-ons making 470+ RWHP. One of our salesmen ran this package on his 2000 SS, and it made 475 RWHP with a FAST 92mm intake.

If you're talking ported heads vs. ported heads, the LS6's are a better choice.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 02-20-2015, 12:12 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sales2@Texas-speed
Even though it's an old thread, it's worth mentioning that the PRC ported 5.3L heads will annihilate stock LS6 heads. You're looking at over 50 cfm increase in intake flow! Many cars out running around with the PRC stage 2.5 5.3L heads and MS3 cam with all of the supporting bolt-ons making 470+ RWHP. One of our salesmen ran this package on his 2000 SS, and it made 475 RWHP with a FAST 92mm intake.

If you're talking ported heads vs. ported heads, the LS6's are a better choice.
But what about the PTV clearance issues with MS3 and 243's? Would I just not be able to mill the 243's?
Old 02-20-2015, 05:30 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by SIC GTO
But what about the PTV clearance issues with MS3 and 243's? Would I just not be able to mill the 243's?
That's correct. You won't be able to mill the heads. When we setup the valve job in the heads for our MS3, we will actually sink the valves slightly to help with p-to-v clearance. We do skim the heads to get them flat, but that's typically only .003".

Thanks!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 02-20-2015, 05:41 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

I'll say this. We don't "look out" for anyone. If you violate rules, then you get warned - even as a sponsor. IB has multiple tiers of sponsorship packages, and we enforce the structure for it. Understand that the site exists because of the sponsors, but we try to be impartial. That doesn't give sponsors the right to spam the site, or have 10 employees posting threads when they bought a 1 person sponsorship. Something like that is not fair to other sponsors who pay for more access. Understand that we appreciate our sponsors and want to help them have access to customers while we provide a forum for you to have discussion. We provide a feedback forum for site vendors, and we do not police it like Camaro5 or other sites that remove negative comments. If the comments are factually based, they remain. If it's simple mud slinging, it's a violation of rules, and we remove it.

And we try our best to take out scammers.

We talk about this daily on how to police and monitor the for sale section better. It's a tough job to weed those folks out before they screw people over. We've even thought about how to change permissions, but it all seems overly restrictive. But we don't sit back and say, you know what, **** people. They deserve it. No, we hate scammers as much as you do.

Lastly, I try to provide real advice to folks so they don't spend money they don't need to or build combos that will implode. I do it because I've worked on my car myself and have some experience with the products you may be looking at, and I try to provide sound technical advice. Take it or leave it, but I'm here to help you as much as keep the site operating within a reasonable level.

Thanks,
Your friendly neighborhood ******* moderator™
Old 02-20-2015, 06:03 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Jake pretty much summed it up. Nothing to add.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
I'll say this. We don't "look out" for anyone. If you violate rules, then you get warned - even as a sponsor. IB has multiple tiers of sponsorship packages, and we enforce the structure for it. Understand that the site exists because of the sponsors, but we try to be impartial. That doesn't give sponsors the right to spam the site, or have 10 employees posting threads when they bought a 1 person sponsorship. Something like that is not fair to other sponsors who pay for more access. Understand that we appreciate our sponsors and want to help them have access to customers while we provide a forum for you to have discussion. We provide a feedback forum for site vendors, and we do not police it like Camaro5 or other sites that remove negative comments. If the comments are factually based, they remain. If it's simple mud slinging, it's a violation of rules, and we remove it.

And we try our best to take out scammers.

We talk about this daily on how to police and monitor the for sale section better. It's a tough job to weed those folks out before they screw people over. We've even thought about how to change permissions, but it all seems overly restrictive. But we don't sit back and say, you know what, **** people. They deserve it. No, we hate scammers as much as you do.

Lastly, I try to provide real advice to folks so they don't spend money they don't need to or build combos that will implode. I do it because I've worked on my car myself and have some experience with the products you may be looking at, and I try to provide sound technical advice. Take it or leave it, but I'm here to help you as much as keep the site operating within a reasonable level.

Thanks,
Your friendly neighborhood ******* moderator™
I was happy to see you become a mod, always super helpful
Old 02-20-2015, 07:36 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by axe murderer
I'm pretty sure they really don't care anymore, I've reported violations to the mods & they don't do anything about it.
It's not like it use to be, I think the only thing they care about is taking care of the sponsors since it seems like there a lot of "Former" vendors & sponsors.
I think it's unfortunate that you feel this way, and as a person who is here every day, working both in the foreground AND the background, I know that it's incorrect.

Jake made an excellent post above with which I agree. It's not possible to make everyone happy all the time, so to even attempt this would be an unrealistic pursuit. We look for balance as much as possible, doing what we can to provide a fair and open information exchange to further the enthusiast community while protecting the exclusive advertisement rights for which the sponsors pay. These are not new concepts for LS1Tech.

Nothing is ever exactly "what it used to be" because the only constant is change. Even staff members cannot control this basic truth, we have limitations and rules and as humans our abilities and available time are by no means boundless, but as a whole we do our best to contribute positively towards the aspects we wish to see endure and grow.

On a personal note, I've been here literally since day one and, just like everyone else on staff, I wouldn't still be here if I didn't care about the site and community within.

Quick Reply: Stock ls6 heads or prc stage 2.5 5.3 heads