Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Panhard bar Function????

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 08:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Panhard bar Function????

Ok i posted before with my problem. My car squated and pulled to the right. Therefore with my 18 inch rims my tire got sliced terribly. I had a completely stock suspension. Now i thought the panhard bar just kept the rear diff in position from side to side not the ride height of the body. So i went and spent 500 bones on rear springs and shocks. "Would went all out but im still in college and broke lol" I go and pick up the car, still squats and pulls like hell. I know the pull could be from the alignment being off which is gna be done tomorrow. So is the problem in the panhard bar somehow? Can someone please help me with what i can do. All that is left is the Panhard bar and lower control arms.. Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

like you said, it keeps the rear end centered. . . thats it. . .

LCAs keep it centered in the wheelwells

Springs/shocks control the squat. . .
Old 07-02-2009, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

Yea thats what. I dont know if i can get anything out of the guy that did the work. I think its stupid how i can spend 500 bucks on fixing a squat and they cant even figure it out. The tire only has like 4000 miles on it...
Old 07-02-2009, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you requested a problem to be fixed and their parts didn't fix it then they owe you money or a correct repair.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

Yea thanks for the help, im gna tell them they are paying for atleast the labor and springs, The shocks were wore out so il pay for them. Its not like the rear suspension on a 2000 F-body is that complicated.. lol It just boggles me how the body squats so bad
Old 07-02-2009, 10:14 PM
TECH Junkie

our cars lean a bit unevenly. It's just the nature of the car. Nothing to be alarmed over, except for it looking crappy. I'm not saying you don't have another problem, but just keep this in mind.

What's your current alignment specs look like?
Old 07-02-2009, 10:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

have some pics of how bad the squat is? I mean I know if your car is lowered you may need an adjustable phb, but thats only if the rear is off center a lot ... not squatting.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:30 PM
On The Tree

The car is not lowered. I assumed they might lean a bit to the right rear but there is something wrong for sure because that tire looks like crap. I will try to find someone with a camera so i can post a pic. But if its not lowered there should be no need for a aftermarket phb, other than lca, shocks, springs, there is just the torque arm and that cant cause it. What about the bar that goes at angle from bottom at the right to the top at the left, its right under where the exhaust y's out? I heard it was not important.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yea somethin is def off if the squat is that bad, have you got under there and looked for yourself and see if something is outta place?
Old 07-03-2009, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

I have layed underneath it in the parking lot. All i could find was that bar that runs at angle. "the one i was talking about' is bent where the exhaust goes over it..
Old 07-03-2009, 01:13 PM
11 Second Club

thats the phb brace if it's got 3 bolts in the drivers side. . .
Old 07-03-2009, 02:31 PM
On The Tree

K, Thanks im going to go check it after school. The panhard bar from what i understand runs like this --- while the other bar is like \. I went by the shop that did the work during lunch break, they didnt have a clue. The doors all shut and everything so the frame is not bent, and i dont think anything messed up on the front drivers side would affect its opposite side rear. It sucks because everywhere i want to call is closed by the time i get out of lunch or school...

Quick Reply: Panhard bar Function????