Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

HELP!! turn signal is driving me nuts!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 03:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! turn signal is driving me nuts!

Ok so my right front turn signal is not blinking. Everything else works, the left sides and the rears. It stays on but will not blink even when I turn the hazards on. Any ideas???
Old 07-03-2009, 05:15 PM
TECH Resident

have you tried simply changing the bulb? Something similar happens to mine and its always cause the bulb shorts out. It can be messed up and still light, for alittle while. If not bad connection/ ground/ wire/ relay/?
Old 07-06-2009, 10:35 AM
Teching In

Were are the relays located for the turn signals?
Old 07-06-2009, 01:23 PM
Launching!

its the bulb, thats what mine did anyway, changed the bulbs and bam, works great.

Last edited by Hotroddin; 07-06-2009 at 01:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-06-2009, 06:15 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Are you referring to the side marker/turn signal right in front of the tire, or the DRL/turn signal in the front?

If the bulb doesn't work, they try replacing the socket. The DRL/turn signal sockets are known for taking on moisture and shorting out. At one time they were a dealership only item, but you can pick them up at AutoZone now.

I have even had to replace one of the side marker/turn signal sockets on my '00 'bird because it had shorted out.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
Are you referring to the side marker/turn signal right in front of the tire, or the DRL/turn signal in the front?

If the bulb doesn't work, they try replacing the socket. The DRL/turn signal sockets are known for taking on moisture and shorting out. At one time they were a dealership only item, but you can pick them up at AutoZone now.

I have even had to replace one of the side marker/turn signal sockets on my '00 'bird because it had shorted out.
You can get the sockets at autozone now? Mine is corroded as anything. I guess you need to ask for it i haven't seen it sitting on the self. Mine shorts out every month it seems, damn crack in the DRL plastic.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You probably have a burnt out bulb. Will cost $2 at your local parts store + 45seconds to replace.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:46 PM
Staging Lane

change the socket if it is corroded. that is your main problem. Then check to see if you have the wrong part number bulb.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Wing Zero
change the socket if it is corroded. that is your main problem. Then check to see if you have the wrong part number bulb.
besides autozone apparently, where can i order the socket cheap? My autozone doesn't carry them and not even an order item. Mine has become very corroded and since the thread first started it's shorted out 3 times, go figure
Old 07-08-2009, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

did you try a search? i, myself, have posted numerous times on this very problem. the factory blinker housings are garbage. rocks hit it and they break very easily. i bet if you look in your socket housing, it's probably corroded. clean it out, replace the bulb, and replace the housing most of all the alieviate yourself of this problem in the future. i replaced both of my housings and have not had this problem reoccur since after replacing many many bulbs.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:57 AM
Teching In

Its the DRL/turn signal. From the looks of it the socket got VERY hot; not to the point of melting but serious scoring. I went to autozone and found a socket that looks incredibly similar to the bad one. However, the new socket is for a 3157 bulb and the stock socket is a 3057. Honestly I can't tell the difference in either one.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:31 PM
Teching In

I'm not sure about the socket but, I do know after just replacing mine they gave me the wrong number bulb. That bulb (sorry forgot the number) has two small tabs that won't allow it to fit in the (original) socket. However, after thinking for a minute I believe the correct original part number was 3057 and what they gave me was a 3157, I ended up returning it and getting a 3057 for the original socket. Also, I found once I replaced mine I had maybe a little less than an 1/8 of an inch of play in mine, depth wise while inserting the bulb and that caused the light to not come on at all. I just pulled the bulb just a tad and it's worked fine since.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:40 PM
Teching In

Ok, so I replaced the socket itself and tried different bulbs. All produced the same outcome. Is the relay located under the dash on the big black box??
Old 07-15-2009, 02:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a similar issue, it was the socket. I got a new one at a junk yard and it fixed it and as far as I know that car still hasn't had any issues with it.

I'm not sure where the relay is for it though, I'll try to find out.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:24 PM
Teching In

does it blink when you use your hazards? if so, it's probably the relay causing the problem, but its a cheap fix.

The relays for the blinkers are located under the dash on the driver's side, somewhere around the steering wheel. You might might have to dig around for them. It's cylindrical, about an inch long and about the diameter of a quarter. There's two, one for the hazards and one for the blinkers. I don't remember which one is which, but pull one out and see if your hazards still work. If they do, then you've got the right one.

Quick Reply: HELP!! turn signal is driving me nuts!