Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Shimming the slave cylendar?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 12:18 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shimming the slave cylendar?

I'm looking at buying a car and the guy told me that he just replaced the slave and master cylendars for the T56. He said it was supposed to come with a cardboard shim on the slave cylendar and that his didn't come with it and didn't even think about it.

He said after everything started settling in that the clutch pedal feels dead till almost the very bottom and that it's hard to get the tranny to disengauge. He said all you need to do is buy that shim and put it in. Is this real? or is he making it up? I work on BMWs and I've never heard of anything like this. I was thinking maybe the fork was bent, because he put in stage 3 everything when he did the tranny work.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:46 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by JoeKnowsBaseball
I'm looking at buying a car and the guy told me that he just replaced the slave and master cylendars for the T56. He said it was supposed to come with a cardboard shim on the slave cylendar and that his didn't come with it and didn't even think about it.

He said after everything started settling in that the clutch pedal feels dead till almost the very bottom and that it's hard to get the tranny to disengauge. He said all you need to do is buy that shim and put it in. Is this real? or is he making it up? I work on BMWs and I've never heard of anything like this. I was thinking maybe the fork was bent, because he put in stage 3 everything when he did the tranny work.

A CARDBOARD shim? Uh, no. Some clutches do need a shim (but not of teh cardboard nature). There is a huge sticky on this elsewhere in this forum that Tick wrote up. But, it can call for one, yes.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:49 PM
Launching!

I don't think he litterally meant cardboard, but not a metal shim I think. And he said it goes on the after market slave cylinder. Would this make it hard to shift after the clutch settled in?
Old 07-06-2009, 01:04 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by JoeKnowsBaseball
I don't think he litterally meant cardboard, but not a metal shim I think. And he said it goes on the after market slave cylinder. Would this make it hard to shift after the clutch settled in?

Oh ok, I was wondering. WEll, to answer your question, some clutches DO require a shim to get teh proper spacing for teh engagement point. I believe all Spec clutches require them, as well as some others. But some, like the Monster Clutches I sell, do NOT require the shim.

Edit: there is a pretty big thread somewhere in this forum that talks about it.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a shim will move the pedal up.
I have seen the PP come loose and cause a very low pedal too
Old 07-28-2009, 09:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gen414
Oh ok, I was wondering. WEll, to answer your question, some clutches DO require a shim to get teh proper spacing for teh engagement point. I believe all Spec clutches require them, as well as some others. But some, like the Monster Clutches I sell, do NOT require the shim.

Edit: there is a pretty big thread somewhere in this forum that talks about it.
I just bought a monster stage 3, Am i reading this right when you say that i won't need a shim for this clutch at all?
Old 08-05-2009, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

yes sum clutches do require a shim to get the pedal to disengauge
Old 08-05-2009, 02:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

My Tex didn't need a Shim..some do like mentioned.

The cardboard shims are for the Honda guys..they are lightweight and help the VTEC engage faster.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:23 PM
FormerVendor

What clutch does the beast currently have? I ask because all this talk about shimming is relative to the clutch you are using. Secondarily, there is a great thread, posted by the guys at Tick Performance that provided great info on the measurements needed to determine your need for a shim. I have provided a link below.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...need-shim.html

Ultimately, shimming will certainly raise the engagement point away from the floor. We provide a steel shim that is .115" thick and I am happy to assist you if you would like to buy one. Just give me a shout and we can discuss this further...or post your answers here and we can proceed as needed. I hope this info helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Shimming the slave cylendar?