Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broke down last night

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 08:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broke down last night

So last night i was on the highway and I was cruising is 6th gear, running around 1,800rpm. I merged onto the highway and gave it gas and it kind of sputered a little bit. Then as I was driving, it sounded like it had an exhaust leak, but was running like it dropped a cylinder. Then it made a "PING" sound like something metal had broke. The car then shut off. I pulled over to look at it (best I could on the side of the highway at 11:45pm), it wasn't draining any fluids, there was nothing on the ground and the engine bay didn't smell like anything was wrong. I then tried to re-start it and it sounded like it was only turning the bottom end of the motor. I'm thinking i may have broke the timing chain or one of the gears. Does anyone else have any other ideas of what it could be?
Old 07-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Staging Lane

Nobody knows anything?
Old 07-09-2009, 02:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 235 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by copteezer496
Nobody knows anything?
Could be the timing chain, it fits the symptoms. Did you replace it w/ the cam?
Old 07-09-2009, 03:36 PM
Staging Lane

Nope. Didn't really think to do that. I was told that the stock chain was pretty tough so I thought it'd be alright. It's been on for a little over 2 years. If it is the chain, would going with a gear drive setup be any better?
Old 07-09-2009, 06:52 PM
Staging Lane

So I tore it apart and the cam shaft sprocket broke off. It doesn't look like the chain was damaged but I still have to finish going over everything. List from GM on the sprocket is $45
Old 07-09-2009, 06:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

might as well get a new LS2 timing chain while your in there
Old 07-09-2009, 10:02 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, that's what a buddy of mine was saying. I'm going to look into it tomorrow. I had another friend tell me that because of what broke, I probably hurt my valves and stuff to. How true is that?
Old 07-09-2009, 10:13 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah, that's what a buddy of mine was saying. I'm going to look into it tomorrow. I had another friend tell me that because of what broke, I probably hurt my valves and stuff to. How true is that?
Yeah, you pretty much definitely have some internal engine damage there. That sucks man, I feel for ya.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:16 PM
TECH Resident

the chances there aren't any bent valves is pretty slim. I would also be wondering what happened to any of the metal fragments or shards from the broken sprocket.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Put it this way. if you have the money just go ahead and order some ported heads now. Your going to be replacing most if not all your valves now as there is almost no chance you didnt bend some, especially if it died in gear with a manual. The crank will still turn as the car moves and the valves themselves are sitting idle. They're gonna get smacked, no way around it. No matter how fast you pushed the clutch in it only takes 1 revolution to bend the valves. Even if by some slim chance you have stock pushrods and they bent and seemed to save the valves i still wouldnt trust the valves in my motor.

How did the camshaft sprocket break exactly?? Was it because you didnt torque the bolts correctly and the bolts broke? I cant imagine a cam sprocket just splitting in half..
Old 07-10-2009, 10:15 AM
Staging Lane

This sucks!! I haven't finished pulling it apart yet so i'm not sure how it broke. I have all the bolts out of the timing cover, I just need to pick up a pully puller tonight after work so i can find out. It does still have the stock pushrods in it, I didn't have the money for stronger ones when I did the cam swap. I'll pull the heads apart tonight and see what I find, I'm scared to look tho!!!
Old 07-10-2009, 01:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 235 Likes on 186 Posts

Seems odd, if the timing set broke, and the valves "will" interferre w/ the pistons, then how were you able to turn it over so "it sounded like it was only turning the bottom end of the motor."?? Is it possible the valves & pistons DON'T hit when the timing set breaks? I don't know about the LS1, but some engines are designed to not interferre.

In any case, going to a high-lift cam w/ the original, USED timing set spells trouble. Really need to upgrade the timing set. DO NOT just replace the sprocket. It would be damn foolish to re-install a worn timing chain with new sprockets. Timing sets are not that dang expensive, it's very CHEAP INSURANCE to always replace the timing set along w/ a new cam.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:48 PM
Staging Lane

The cam was in the car when I bought it. I would have done things a little bit different if i'd of done it. My dad just called me and he's a parts manager at a Chevy dealer back in St. Louis. He was standing with a couple of the mechanics there and they were saying that I shouldn't have hurt anything on the heads. As soon as it started sounding like the motor was going to give, I pushed the clutch in and the rpms started to drop from 1,800. They also told me that since the motor isn't a close tolerance motor, and the fact that my rpms were low, my heads should be fine. I was told to put a new timing set on, put the car back together, and start it. Then If I hear anything wrong, then pull the heads. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and hope they are right about this!! I really don't have the money right now to do head work.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:59 PM
12 Second Club

The cam was in the car when I bought it. I would have done things a little bit different if i'd of done it. My dad just called me and he's a parts manager at a Chevy dealer back in St. Louis. He was standing with a couple of the mechanics there and they were saying that I shouldn't have hurt anything on the heads. As soon as it started sounding like the motor was going to give, I pushed the clutch in and the rpms started to drop from 1,800. They also told me that since the motor isn't a close tolerance motor, and the fact that my rpms were low, my heads should be fine. I was told to put a new timing set on, put the car back together, and start it. Then If I hear anything wrong, then pull the heads. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and hope they are right about this!! I really don't have the money right now to do head work.
If your not concerned about down time get the valves/heads checked at a shop.

If you are concerned about down time just starting it up and LISTENING for damage is bad idea IMO when you can pick up a set of junkyard 5.3s for less than a 100 bux take them to a shop that does heads and get em cleaned and have the valves done for probably 2-3 hundred or less.

You drop a valve your going to be out a motor. Sometimes you CAN'T hear bent/damaged valves until it's too late at 6k rpm and then your piston/s are going to get very acquainted with the valve/s.

Quick Reply: Broke down last night