General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Possible vaccum leak????

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible vacuum leak????

So, I guess I can just tell you guys what it is doing.

I changed the fuel filter, and cleaned my maf, but the car is sputtering, spitting, popping at high rpms, it shifts really hard, the oil pressure seems to run a little higher, the whole car shakes at idle, and it has no ***** what-so-ever. When I pull up to a stop light, it acts like it wants to die and starts shaking. It acts like it is wanting to die alot. When I start it, or push the throttle., I can smell gas. Also, I have a check engine light blinking at me.

I am figuring that this would probably be a vaccum problem, since it is affecting so much stuff, but I'm not sure.

What do you guys think? Also, if it is a vaccum leak of some kind, what is the best way to figure out where it is leaking or whatever?

Also, last night when i got off work and went to my car, I started it and noticed that my ABS inop light was on. I turned the car off then back on, and it went off and hasn't come back on yet. Could it cause that as well, or should I look into new brakes?

Last edited by Swift_01_z-28; 07-17-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:43 PM
Staging Lane

Did this happen before or after the fuel filter/maf sensor cleaning?

If after i would say u put the fuel filter in backwards, Or the MAF is damaged somehow.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Swift_01_z-28
So, I guess I can just tell you guys what it is doing.

I changed the fuel filter, and cleaned my maf, but the car is sputtering, spitting, popping at high rpms, it shifts really hard, the oil pressure seems to run a little higher, the whole car shakes at idle, and it has no ***** what-so-ever. When I pull up to a stop light, it acts like it wants to die and starts shaking. It acts like it is wanting to die alot. When I start it, or push the throttle., I can smell gas. Also, I have a check engine light blinking at me.

I am figuring that this would probably be a vaccum problem, since it is affecting so much stuff, but I'm not sure.

What do you guys think? Also, if it is a vaccum leak of some kind, what is the best way to figure out where it is leaking or whatever?

Also, last night when i got off work and went to my car, I started it and noticed that my ABS inop light was on. I turned the car off then back on, and it went off and hasn't come back on yet. Could it cause that as well, or should I look into new brakes?
check your plugs and plugwires... u may have a fouled one, or a burnt wire... or o2 sensors... could be a number of things
Old 07-17-2009, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was thinking that it is possible for one of my plugs to be fouled out. Wires aren't touching anything, and I replaced them not long ago, they are all tightened down and clicked into place. I couldn't get one of the plugs out when I was changing them, and it's still the stock plug with 74k miles on it, so that could be it. But, I didn't think a fouled plug would affect that much stuff. How do I check if I have one fouled out? Just pull it out? Car no longer has rear O2 sensors, will check the front ones.

This all started before I put the filter on and did the maf cleaning. BTW, how could you put the filter on backwards, as far as I could tell, there was only one way it would go on.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

I was thinking that it is possible for one of my plugs to be fouled out. Wires aren't touching anything, and I replaced them not long ago, they are all tightened down and clicked into place. I couldn't get one of the plugs out when I was changing them, and it's still the stock plug with 74k miles on it, so that could be it. But, I didn't think a fouled plug would affect that much stuff. How do I check if I have one fouled out? Just pull it out? Car no longer has rear O2 sensors, will check the front ones.

This all started before I put the filter on and did the maf cleaning. BTW, how could you put the filter on backwards, as far as I could tell, there was only one way it would go on.
the MAF goes one way... when i got my car it was on the wrong way, and it ran rich as hell... im thinking the filter only goes one way also... but as far as ur issue affecting other things... maybe you should figure out if it has something to do with your O2's, i just fixed my cylinder miss problem and it was O2's and the TPS
Old 07-18-2009, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, the car is running better, but any time I try to go WOT, my check engine light starts blinking and it is down on power. The exhaust sounds weird as well. Sitting at idle, you can like hear it sounds like it isn't firing right. The exhaust pulses don't seem to be in timie with each other.

What could have screwed that up? The maf is on correctly, and so is the fuel filter, is it possible that the one plug is messing it up?

I have driven the car for almost a year with no rear 02's, and have had 0 issues.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:47 AM
Staging Lane

Well, the car is running better, but any time I try to go WOT, my check engine light starts blinking and it is down on power. The exhaust sounds weird as well. Sitting at idle, you can like hear it sounds like it isn't firing right. The exhaust pulses don't seem to be in timie with each other.

What could have screwed that up? The maf is on correctly, and so is the fuel filter, is it possible that the one plug is messing it up?

I have driven the car for almost a year with no rear 02's, and have had 0 issues.
if you can get a chance run your codes... autozone does it for free, i know for sure, but if you cant find anyone that can do that then you should check all of your plugs and wires, see if they are mismatched or burnt, but i recommend seeing what the trouble codes have to say.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I'm going to go monday and get the codes pulled off my car and see what they are.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:23 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Short of bad tank of gas....

Sounds like a cylinder is misfiring for sure, thats what a flashing SES light means.

Change that plug.

If that doesn't help and you run that whole tank of gas out, I'd look to failing 02 sensors. You wont get a code or an SES from failing 02 sensors, only once they totally fail. The scanner at the auto parts store won't tell you if the 02 sensors are switching properly, just gives you codes. The real OBDII scanner at the dealerships will tell you if they're failing.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS6427
Short of bad tank of gas....

Sounds like a cylinder is misfiring for sure, thats what a flashing SES light means.

Change that plug.

If that doesn't help and you run that whole tank of gas out, I'd look to failing 02 sensors. You wont get a code or an SES from failing 02 sensors, only once they totally fail. The scanner at the auto parts store won't tell you if the 02 sensors are switching properly, just gives you codes. The real OBDII scanner at the dealerships will tell you if they're failing.

Come to think of it, the place I got gas last time has a horrible reputation for having shitty gas. They even have a sign up that says "This product contains up to 10% ethanol."

I had a feeling it was misfiring, just wasn't sure.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:51 AM
Staging Lane

Come to think of it, the place I got gas last time has a horrible reputation for having shitty gas. They even have a sign up that says "This product contains up to 10% ethanol."

I had a feeling it was misfiring, just wasn't sure.
did you get a chance to run your codes... it it was a big misfire like said ity will tell you which cylinder it is, then you can go from there, im thinking its going to be a combination of things... o2's crapping out and a couple of plugs maybe, not sure how an LS1 works, i have an LT1 (no problems) "so far"
Old 07-21-2009, 04:06 PM
Staging Lane

Ah, i forgot the ls1's have the return line at the fuel filter, in other instances one can put the flow the incorrect way.