Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Has anyone had this...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 10:24 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone had this...

On my 99 SS Camaro, I have a problem with breaking shocks. Lately, I haven't been racing (within the past year) from a dig, but Monday, I launched from a dig. The car launched very well. Yesterday, during normal driving conditions, I felt the rear left side bouncing way too much. I checked it later, it turned out to be my driver rear shock. Its a Bilstein non-adjustable. I wanted to get yall's input if this has happened with anyone else's vehicles and if Bilstein's still a good shock to replace with. Thanks a bunch!!
Old 07-22-2009, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What rear springs are you running?

Could you be bottoming out the shock? I bottomed my Afcos once, and it effectively killed them. When I removed them, they had no resistance, and stuff was rattling around in them.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:59 AM
Launching!

I'm running Eibach 1" drop springs. The last time this happened, I had stock springs and it was the passenger side shock.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you still have bump stops? They should prevent shocks from bottoming.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:35 AM
Launching!

Still have the bump stops (a new set, actually). I ordered another pair of the Bilstein shocks. Hopefully that won't happen again. Thanks for your input, Trans Ram
Old 07-23-2009, 08:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmmm - doesn't sound like they should have bottomed out. When you remove them to swap the new ones, see if you can detect any damage. Pay attention to the straightness of the piston shaft, and any nicks in it. See if it feels right (hard to move, consistent movement, etc.).

If all that checks out, you may want to send it back to Bilstein. For $7 in shipping, it's cheap to find the problem. If it's something you did, you can just tell them to throw it away. If it's their fault, then they should replace it. Now, you've got a freshly rebuilt shock for Ebay!
Old 07-23-2009, 12:12 PM
Launching!

LOL!!! Thanks!
Old 07-24-2009, 08:09 PM
Launching!

Let me make you laugh, it wasn't the shock, but the chassis that the shock feeds through. The shock broke completely through the chassis!!! Damn!!!

All good though, my dad and I fixed it and it runs like new. So thanks for your input again.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That's interesting!

You mean that the sheet metal, with a hole in it, where the shock sticks up through? That part ripped and the shock came out?

Reason I'm SOOO interested is that many people try to make coilovers. A coilover will subject that exact area to many times more stress than just a shock. If it breaks with just a shock, I'd have to see what a coilover does!
Old 07-27-2009, 12:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by trnsfmr99
Let me make you laugh, it wasn't the shock, but the chassis that the shock feeds through. The shock broke completely through the chassis!!! Damn!!!

All good though, my dad and I fixed it and it runs like new. So thanks for your input again.
So it came up through the sheetmetal or through the lower control arm?
Old 07-27-2009, 08:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
So it came up through the sheetmetal or through the lower control arm?
My money is on the sheetmetal...especially since the rear shocks connect to the axle, not the lower control arms.

I've reinforced similar shock mount locations on BMW unibody's for friends before...were there any signs of corrosion on yours? I'm curious why it broke through.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
My money is on the sheetmetal...especially since the rear shocks connect to the axle, not the lower control arms.

I've reinforced similar shock mount locations on BMW unibody's for friends before...were there any signs of corrosion on yours? I'm curious why it broke through.
Ehh we're talking about rears, NM.