Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Both APS Turbos went on me

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Both APS Turbos went on me

Well,I changed the drivers turbo today with a replacement APS turbo which i bought from another member and now the passanger exhaust side is smoking LOL I guess the 12 PSI was just TOOOOOO much for these cheap *** china knock offs that APS supplied to us with there kit! Now ,I guess im just gonna have to drop my K member to get to the passanger side.This ******* SUCKS ! Im gonna upgrade both turbos with the LG ones. Hopefully ill get it done with alittle summer left ?APS ******* SUCKS !!!IMO
Old 07-30-2009, 06:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

LG is lovin' APS right now
Old 07-30-2009, 06:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

you've had more issues with your setup, my goodness!
Old 07-30-2009, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ddnspider
you've had more issues with your setup, my goodness!
Not really,, The APS is a nice really thought out kit besides the cheap *** turbos that came with it!The main thing that fucked my build was Be Cool sending me a bum rad that ruined my brand new Rossler tranny last year and all of my coolant hoses LOLBut yes,, goodness me !LOL
Old 07-30-2009, 09:28 PM
10 Second Club

Has APS replaced any of these failures?
Old 07-30-2009, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry to hear that Barnat! It will be worth it when you get the LG replacements!
Old 07-31-2009, 05:03 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've had more than your share of problems, hopefully you will be good to go after the turbos are replaced! Bob
Old 07-31-2009, 06:21 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I love the APS kit, but not if I'm going to have to replace the turbos within a year when they start smoking.

I don't understand why they don't offer a couple different turbo options. You could get the current kit, a "TURBO DELETE" kit for $1000 less, or an upgraded kit for $1000 more. It sucks spending roughly $7000 on a kit only to have to replace the turbos for another $2000.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:10 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Who is that turbo kit made by?

China.

Oh OK, I see now.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:15 AM
TECH Veteran

This may be alternative to the aps turbos for pretty cheap but until more miles are put on them can't say for sure.
I would get the LG ones myself but have to save up to get them . I got a set of these as backup. Here is the review from LOWBIRD on them. They are like 400 each with upgraded wheels so good deal if they hold up.

"Hi Al, I just put the one turbo on that I bought from e-bay. I put it on the passenger side when I had the trans out for a new clutch and 9" fabbed rearend install. Pain it the *** with the motor in the car but with the trans down it can be done. It's held up great so far and I've put at least 4k on it, maybe more. I'm still running the stock aps provided turbo on the drivers side and so far no issues. I bought an extra turbo from Kando Dynamics on e-bay because the price was so good and so far so good. It is still wrapped up in box it came in for future use if needed."

It should also be possibly to buy genuine mits centers as replacements for would think about 1000 a piece or maybe far less .Even if you had to buy mits 20gs and then not use the compressor or exhaust housing. LG ones again are superior to stock genuine 20gs but genuine 20gs are super reliable. The aps turbos are just 20g type and aside from their exhaust housing are plug and play center cats. Geniuine mits 20g will not flow as much air as the LG which should do 1400 engine hp max potential compared to maybe 1000 hp engine hp potential tops out of 20gs. And 20g size turbos could still be a bit small on bigger motors than 346.

I was offered to send my dud turbo to aps for possible replacement but didn't want to put the car down as my failure is different ,cracked internal housing but turbo works ok with just oil cooling. And shipping is likely pretty pricey from me to aps them being in australia and not sure want to put another one of theirs on the car and go thru that hassle as said drivers side is simple enough but passengers is more a pain.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

why dont you give John Craig a call at Limit Engineering and see if he cant rebuild your turbos...he has been considered by many one of the best when it comes to turbos...

johncraig@limitengineering.com
http://www.limitengineering.com
Old 08-01-2009, 12:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Guy sent me this message with a gto..same turbos. Talking about the ebay centers but interesting about his aps turbos as well. They lasted good at stock boost but died quick death when he boosted up. So guess keep mine at stock till end of season I think and then don't care.

"Thanks, i looked at that part but i wanted to be 100% sure. I'm running the APS kit on a GTO so no dropping the K member for me. My turbos lasted for about 2 years running at stock PSI, at 14PSI they lasted less than a thousand miles. I've already got brand new APS turbos but want to fix the old ones, maybe send them off to see what could be done better. I'm not looking for more HP, just want them to last.
"
Old 08-01-2009, 03:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 9secondsflat
why dont you give John Craig a call at Limit Engineering and see if he cant rebuild your turbos...he has been considered by many one of the best when it comes to turbos...

johncraig@limitengineering.com
http://www.limitengineering.com
Chopper at Limit rebuilt my turbo for my GN. They do great work, or at least did last year, you know how some companies go from good to bad at the drop of a hat, but I'm highly impressed with Limit Engineering. Good pricing on the rebuilds & fast turn around.

Quick Reply: Both APS Turbos went on me