Old 08-01-2009, 07:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who makes the best 4l60e?

Performabuilt or Finishline?
Old 08-02-2009, 02:19 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

My answer would be BOTH we both have a proven product. We both back what we sell and support this forum of course I may be biased.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 08-02-2009, 06:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From everything I have read over the years here. You can not go wrong with either vendor.

They are basically the same cost for the same set ups. So it is all up to you on what you want to purchase.

I would have said performabuilt because of the warranty and the $950.00 rebuild. But, I called FLT and told them I had a TCI trans that needed re-worked and he gave me a deal on it to. Not even on his own product.

So bothe companies customer service is excellent.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:49 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2000SS1979
From everything I have read over the years here. You can not go wrong with either vendor.

They are basically the same cost for the same set ups. So it is all up to you on what you want to purchase.

I would have said performabuilt because of the warranty and the $950.00 rebuild. But, I called FLT and told them I had a TCI trans that needed re-worked and he gave me a deal on it to. Not even on his own product.

So bothe companies customer service is excellent.

WRONG!!! You can go wrong. Finish Line Trans blows Performabuilt out of the park when it comes to building a working trans that actually lasts. FLT wins. Dont post your opinion if you dont have first hand experience with that company. my.02

FLT x100,000,000,000,000,000,000
Old 08-02-2009, 11:13 AM
Teching In

Hey guys, I know this is my first post, but I have lurked here a bit. I have some friends here.

Anyway, I just wanted to give some insight.

I purchased a trans from Performabuilt last year. I have a 427 Small Block built by Pat Musi. I installed the trans and ran it hard for about 8 months. The converter went bad.

Performabuilt had a one year warrantee at the time, now they have two years. I called Frank and told him I dropped the pan and had sludge in there. This is a mechanical device, so anything can happen.

I live 2 hours away from their shop. I threw the trans in the truck and drove it down to the shop. They had a brand new trans sitting on the bench waiting for me. No questions, no "did you read the warrantee" fine print crap. No "did you install it right". they did NOT try not to warantee it. They took the trans and the converter back and handed me a new one. After 8 months in the car.

The result was the converter went bad. Now, I know someone personally who has sold 100s of these converters and never had one go bad. I know Performabuild has done similar. These are good converters, just one of those things.

I can also tell you my friend who really knows transmissions said you'd be hard pressed to find a better parts list that what is installed in my trans.

I can't speak to FLT I am sure they are a good company. However, I can say that Frank and his guys went completely over the top to ensure that I was taken care off. I'm no one special, just a guy off the internet that purchased a trans.

I am convinced that from a quality of parts perspective and from a customer service perspective that it would be hard to beat what Performabuilt did for me.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

we have tried a few trans & converters builders from this sight, FLT was by far the best tranny your hard earned money can buy......

1st time out FLT & YANK hit a home run, in a 407 rwhp full weight z28 it went 11.08 @121.76 with a 1.48 60' on stock springs & shocks front & back......i was still learning the car,trans & stahl,it had more in it....

great product from great guys!

good luck!
Old 08-02-2009, 11:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
WRONG!!! You can go wrong. Finish Line Trans blows Performabuilt out of the park when it comes to building a working trans that actually lasts. FLT wins. Dont post your opinion if you dont have first hand experience with that company. my.02

haha dude seriously whats your experience with performabuilt? i know for a fact that frank from performabuilt will not leave a customer unsatisfied!

i have no experience with FLT, but would not hesitate to run one of their transmissions. they have been on the board for as long as i can remember, and are a great sponsor to have. whoever said that you cant go wrong with either company was correct.

i ended up going with performabuilt and don't regret it one bit. i was in a time crunch needing a transmission, and frank got me a fresh transmission delivered to my door in less than a week, without a core charge and for a ton cheaper than my FLT options. FLT quoted me a considerably longer time frame of getting my transmission in and i just didnt have that kind of time to work with. not having to deal with shipping a core back was just icing on the cake.

its held up to my harsh driving style great. im pushing close to 600 RWHP through a 4500 pound steet truck, and planning even more power in the near future. im always on either drag radials or full slicks so the trans never gets a break from crappy traction. i also got the thumbs up from frank to install a trans brake and 2 step onto his 4l60e! that really shows me how confident he is in his transmissions. i figured when i asked, he would laugh and tell me im stupid for even thinking about it. instead he provided me with the information i needed to order and install one.

over the years (2 years now) frank has been awesome. ive had more than a few conversations with him at 2am! pay attention to his signature and notice how much time he spends at his computer with AIM running. any trans related questions i have, he is there with an answer almost 24/7. his primary job is customer satisfaction. 2 guys have purchased from frank from my recommendation, and both of them were amazed by the customer service and product. one is an extended cab silverado running 11.8 on motor and the other is a crewcab silverado running 12.2. the times are not catching the world on fire, but consider the amount of weight that we are working with. its alot more punishment on the transmission launching 1.5 and 1.6 60' times with 4500-5,000 LB trucks than a 3500 lb camaro. thats my experience. take it for what its worth.

Last edited by TXsilverado; 08-02-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
haha dude seriously whats your experience with performabuilt? i know for a fact that frank from performabuilt will not leave a customer unsatisfied!

blah blah blah .....

My experience you ask? my experience was a $2,000 mistake from the company you refer to, and "said company" still couldnt get it right. hell my LT1 only makes 273hp. I wasnt asking much from it. Thats all i can say. Yes, they handled the situation, thats fine, but at some point ya gotta give me something that actually WORKS.

Been almost 3months now of hard driving with the FLT, over 10passes at the track, and had ZERO problems. I havnt had to call them ever or explain what is wrong with it now or anything like that. It works and shifts flawlessly. Thats my experience and thats all im gonna say.

and im glad to see "he" contacted another one of his "so called" happy costumers just to make him look good. Im still soo ******* pissed off about the whole situation it just irritates the hell out of me that people arent getting what they think there paying for.

Last edited by Badazz 97 TA; 08-02-2009 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:30 PM
TECH Junkie

I've had a Level 1 and Level 3 from Performabuilt and have nothing but great things to say about them. The trannys are solid, affordable, and warranty and customer service is second to none!

I had full bolt ons and 150 shot on my Level 1 trans from them, and never had a problem. It dynoed 427/455 with the 125 shot too. Trans never complained once. I highly recommend them!
Old 08-02-2009, 03:27 PM
TECH Regular

FLT all the way. You can't beat them and they've been around forever. I've personally talked to and dealt with Chuck and his crew. Some of the most nicest and most professional people out there. The guy even saved my old parts, stood me aside and took the time to show exactly what was wrong with my trans. I went with their street/strip trans (t-56). You can't beat FLT man, not to mention the lifetime warranty. It's only $250.00 afterwards if anything breaks, and they'll go completely through it.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Baltimore Whore

Performabuilt, FLT are great companies.... I went with Performabuilt..I am running one of there trans in my truck, have 10+ track runs on it. Had it in for a year now, it hasn't missed a beat... Frank and the crew are top notch, more then willing and able to make anything right, there CS is awsome.. Just like anything in a high performacne app, **** happens, roll the dice...I have sent a few guys there way with great results also... I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Pbuilt trans... Top notch trans, people bottom line..
Old 08-02-2009, 10:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

both are great companies. i wouldnt hesitate to order from either. keep up the great work performabuilt and FLT!!
Old 08-02-2009, 10:15 PM
Truck Sponsor

I could not be happier with my Performabuilt Level 2
Franks service just can not getting any better,he is great!!
I have never had an flt but I have had such awesome experience with Frank,I will not go anywhere else.
Thanks Frank
Old 08-02-2009, 10:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
Performabuilt, FLT are great companies.... I went with Performabuilt..I am running one of there trans in my truck, have 10+ track runs on it. Had it in for a year now, it hasn't missed a beat... Frank and the crew are top notch, more then willing and able to make anything right, there CS is awsome.. Just like anything in a high performacne app, **** happens, roll the dice...I have sent a few guys there way with great results also... I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Pbuilt trans... Top notch trans, people bottom line..
Troof! (lol truth).
Old 08-02-2009, 11:27 PM
9 Second Club

Performabuilt******. Proven trannys. Had one for 3 years and still running it in my brother camaro with plenty of nitrous passes LV2 tranny has not been freshed up or anything We drive it to the track race it and drive it home. NO TRAILER.
Both make good products. I have just race proven the PerfromaBuilt running 850hp on a lv2 and it holding up with no issues and the customer service from FRANK is by far the best. What other Tranny company can you talk to at 11 pm on a week night.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't have any experience with FLT but I would not reccomend anyone to Performabuilt. I spent way to much money and ended up with a crap tranny in my shed and I'm back to a stock pullout.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA

nothing
Old 08-03-2009, 12:09 AM
formerly twolow02fransen (2014-1-2)

ive never really delt with FLT other then calling and asking some questions about there lev 4 tranny but the thing that turned me down from going with a FLT was the core charge cause my tranny was blown up so to them it was no good so i would have to pay the 300 bucks for the core charge on top of the price of the tranny performabuilt has no core charge and if you want they'll buy back your old tranny if its in working condition thats a plus in my book and the tech support is very good also i called frank at 10:30PM one night to ask a question and to my amazement he picked up now thats customer service and dedication in your product ive said my peace.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:36 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LSGunZ28
nothing

what?
Old 08-03-2009, 10:23 AM
TECH Regular

My 2 cents.......

Never heard of Finish Line until like a day ago. I have a Performabuilt Level 2 in my goat. Runs 10.91s all day, every pass like it was going out of style. This is NA with ~500whp.

I've made too many 1/4 and 1/8th passes to count with 1.5 60 foots and plenty of hwy pulls. No signs of tranny problems. What I do and I would suggest others do, is get an oil pan with a drain plug and change the oil every so often. I have 3 tranny fluid changes on my Performabuilt since I got it last Feb or so. Runs great and love it. I'd call Frank and not look back. Get a good tranny cooler, keep the fluids in good shape and get er done.

Quick Reply: who makes the best 4l60e?