Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Any APS guys running a catch can between the breather hose and inlet duct?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 10:25 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any APS guys running a catch can between the breather hose and inlet duct?

Would this work to prevent oil from getting sucked into the intake?
pic for reference
Attached Thumbnails Any APS guys running a catch can between the breather hose and inlet duct?-153154155156.jpg  
Old 08-04-2009, 10:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you run it from the valve cover front nipple on passenger side in between to where the line goes into the side of intake . Those other lines are inlets from the air intakes. I am thinking not running those at all just breathers on my valve covers those hoses all over the engine compartment are so cluttery. You can get think a small breather to put on drivers side valve cover that will go into factory grommet and you can buy breather that go on passengerr side and replace oil cap. Then just run catch can in between remaining line from passenger valve cover to intake and that should do the job.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

I did but the car was still pulling oil into the intake through the catch can (AMW). It was doing a good job and seperating the majority of the oil but my intake was still coated in oil after only a couple hudred miles... Once i plugged up the lines, no more problems...

Here is my setup now...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...pinions-2.html
Old 08-04-2009, 11:13 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
you run it from the valve cover front nipple on passenger side in between to where the line goes into the side of intake . Those other lines are inlets from the air intakes. I am thinking not running those at all just breathers on my valve covers those hoses all over the engine compartment are so cluttery. You can get think a small breather to put on drivers side valve cover that will go into factory grommet and you can buy breather that go on passengerr side and replace oil cap. Then just run catch can in between remaining line from passenger valve cover to intake and that should do the job.
I might be wrong but on the install document on their site it looks like there is a line going from each rocker cover to each inlet tube?

And yeah that line straight from the nipple into the intake looks like it would pull oil mist.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6

This is a great read and explains why i didnt want to just run breathers.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...v-systems.html
Old 08-04-2009, 11:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Cobra Commander
I might be wrong but on the install document on their site it looks like there is a line going from each rocker cover to each inlet tube?

And yeah that line straight from the nipple into the intake looks like it would pull oil mist.

Yea, the APS reccomendation is to run the passenger side valve cover (rear vent) to the drivers side intake pipe. Then to run the drivers side valve cover vent to the passenger side intake pipe.

The front vent in the passenger side valve cover is then routed to the stock location but you replace the OE check valve with the one APS provides.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MosesMcgregor
I did but the car was still pulling oil into the intake through the catch can (AMW). It was doing a good job and seperating the majority of the oil but my intake was still coated in oil after only a couple hudred miles... Once i plugged up the lines, no more problems...

Here is my setup now...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...pinions-2.html
Does that GZ kit for the F-body work with all the stock acessories, belt, etc.?

Is there anything custom other than moving the accumulator?
Old 08-04-2009, 03:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Does that GZ kit for the F-body work with all the stock acessories, belt, etc.?

Is there anything custom other than moving the accumulator?
It works with all the accessories in place but the larger pulley on the tensioner will require a little larger belt. I've got an ATI Super Damper with somwhere around 10% underdrive so the stock belt works perfect now.

The only problem besides moving the accumulator was i still havent found a good place to mount the baffled breather tank, the thing is huge. This is an easy fix, though.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:10 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MosesMcgregor
Yea, the APS reccomendation is to run the passenger side valve cover (rear vent) to the drivers side intake pipe. Then to run the drivers side valve cover vent to the passenger side intake pipe.

The front vent in the passenger side valve cover is then routed to the stock location but you replace the OE check valve with the one APS provides.
So the line with the check valve pulls vacuum at idle and closes under boost to prevent pressurizing the crankcase. The two lines to the inlets allow you to pull vacuum while boosting.

I wonder if you could merge the two lines into a catch can before they reach the inlets.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:32 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm running almost the same setup as you Cobra Commander and I'm actually about to put two catch can's on the TA. For the mean time I have two breathers (one on each valve cover). Ill make sure to throw some photos up, should be done next week. On a side note Im assuming your running no cats does your setup burn oil a little bit or that's just me?
Old 08-05-2009, 10:02 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by corpserodeo666
I'm running almost the same setup as you Cobra Commander and I'm actually about to put two catch can's on the TA. For the mean time I have two breathers (one on each valve cover). Ill make sure to throw some photos up, should be done next week. On a side note Im assuming your running no cats does your setup burn oil a little bit or that's just me?
Just you but it's only been running a week.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just you but it's only been running a week.

How is your kit holding up ? any problems with Turbos ?

I have a stage 2 kit also, not installed yet!!! much better than a stage 1 kit ? problem wise(inlet hoses, turbo)

Ant track times yet ?

Thanks warren