Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Pro Star wheel stud problem need some help

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 10:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro Star wheel stud problem need some help

Not really sure where to post this but I just got a set of 15x10 prostars got them on and drove it for not even a day. I went to a buddies house to roll my fenders today and when trying to take the lug nuts off they got super hard to remove and ended up breaking six lugs off inside then lug nuts I JUST put on. They were the 12x1.5 deep lug nuts, now my question is obviously the same style lug nut has to go on, how the hell can i prevent this from happening again?
Old 08-06-2009, 11:17 PM
On The Tree

Thats weird. I just put my draglites on and didnt have any problems like that. Did you strip the lugs out you actually brake them?
Old 08-06-2009, 11:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

a couple came off were stripped out, the others just snapped the stud off inside the lug, i believe out of the 10 i had on there only 2 are still good.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:57 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is common when the shank is longer than the wheel's center. Typically what occur is the shank bottoms out on the hub pad before the wheel is tightened. In attempt for the person to get the wheel to tighten they end up mushrooming the shank end from further tightening of the nut. When this is done, the nut acts essentially like a rivet. In attempt to removing the shank nut later on...studs break or strip.

This would not be the case for your setup though...just thinking out loud for others who have stripped wheel studs with other wheels.

If you're installing studs by pulling them in with a nut...and using over 100lbs of torque, you're probably stretching and weakening the studs. Generally speaking, never pull studs into place if you have to exceed the torque rating of the stud. This is a main reason why you're supposed to press the studs in place. This may have been your problem.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
That is common when the shank is longer than the wheel's center. Typically what occur is the shank bottoms out on the hub pad before the wheel is tightened. In attempt for the person to get the wheel to tighten they end up mushrooming the shank end from further tightening of the nut. When this is done, the nut acts essentially like a rivet. In attempt to removing the shank nut later on...studs break or strip.

This would not be the case for your setup though...just thinking out loud for others who have stripped wheel studs with other wheels.

If you're installing studs by pulling them in with a nut...and using over 100lbs of torque, you're probably stretching and weakening the studs. Generally speaking, never pull studs into place if you have to exceed the torque rating of the stud. This is a main reason why you're supposed to press the studs in place. This may have been your problem.
These were the original studs that came in the car so they couldnt of been stretched I wouldnt think? Would it of been possible to overtighten the lugs? which im pretty sure i didnt. I just dont want the same thing to happen b/c i dont want to drive on these wheels all the time and i def. wont put up with a wheel thats this much of a hassle.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Weird, I've never had any issues back when I had prostars.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

weird is putting it mildly!
Old 08-07-2009, 02:24 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If its not the incorrect thread pitch lugnut, then I'd imagine you probably just tightened it too much stripping the lugs/studs then. There's really not much else magic in it all. It's not the wheels that's for sure.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Question

Is the shank of the lug nut too long, thus bottoming out on the rotor face before bottoming out on the wheel face, maybe just barely leaving the wheel loose.

Then while driving the lugs were distorted by the wheel moving around . . . ?
Old 08-07-2009, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

maybe you got the wrong thread pattern or maybe you put them on crooked