Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

WTB lighter rims

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTB lighter rims

Hey all,

I've been reading along about the different threads on lighter rims/street use/drag use.

I have the ZR-1's on my car now, all I am looking for is a set of rims that are a little lighter and look good for street use. I am not interested in the rims if they will not be as sturdy, durable, as a normal rim, so if that's the case I will probably keep what I have on the car. I have a set of drag lights for the car anyway for track use. Thanks!
Old 08-26-2009, 07:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm looking at the Billet Street Lites as a possibility but I am not set on the looks of it.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Fikse, Bogart, CCW, HRE . . . . all light . . . all strong . . . all pricey . . .

Love my Fikse's
Old 08-27-2009, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

If you don't want to spend a fortune on billet stuff, OE Wheels LLC has some lighter wheels.

Check out this thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-ti...rd-wheels.html

If you see something not listed, add it to the thread. Lance and I have been keeping the thread updated.

In general, chrome is heavy...powdercoat (paint) is lighter. I was able to drop 2 - 3 lbs. per wheel on my set up. 10 lbs. of unpsrung weight is quite a bit for little money.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

Aren't painted wheels steel? If so, then wouldn't you want to go from chrome to polished aluminum? I also wanna ditch my Zr1's for something lighter, but I can't see spending the money for 2lbs per wheel. I know that loosing rotating mass is more significant than removing "sprung" weight, but is 8-10lbs total enough to make a big difference?
Old 08-29-2009, 10:58 AM
On The Tree

Steel? No...you'll have to look long and hard to find steel wheels nowadays.

Almost all so-called "custom" wheels are aluminum alloy. The real difference is whether (and how) they are cast or made from 1, 2, or 3 piece billet.

The coating is really the only difference, from polished, to painted/powdercoated, to chrome.

Service vehicles, like police cars and NASCAR vehicles, use steel because it is somewhat stronger, but more importantly, will bend. An aluminum wheel will crack, something you do not want if you are chasing someone and hit a pothole or jump a curb. Racing vehicles use steel because it will not catastrophically fail like aluminum will, but bend and deform.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

Hmmm, I didn't figure they were the same type steel as a racing wheel, but I didn't know they were more of an aluminum alloy with paint or chrome coating. So other than drag lites or high end magnessium racing wheels, there isn't much weight difference.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

You've got it...only so many ways to make a wheel.

One area that is hard to judge...tire weights. Sometimes, you can get the weight, but not usually. There is a few pounds in savings in using some tires vs. others.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:20 PM
TECH Addict

OE wheels are light and cheap. Probably a good option for ya.

If you are looking to spend money, the wheels Xsta listed are great options.

My 17x9.5 Fikse's weigh something like 17lbs a piece. But new cost around 1000 a piece.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why do you say OE wheels are lightweight? They seem to be pretty average for 17 and 18" rims coming in at around 21-28 lbs.