Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam & Heads, what needs done?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 04:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cam & Heads, what needs done?

Okay so I'm getting ready to do my cam swap, and I've been doing research trying to find out what I'll have to do with my heads. I've got stock LS1 heads, and I've got a fairly big cam (236/242 .580/.590 on a 112 lsa). I've got a set of duel titanium springs good enough for .600 lift. I'm kinda wondering if this set up is going to work without head porting, or if I'm going to have to port the heads?

Any advice?

Chelsea.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

how much powr u want? max effort? what other supporting mods are alredy on car?
Old 09-02-2009, 04:52 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With that duration you'll likely need all of the valve drop you can get (piston to valve clearance) depending on what those lobes are like. You'll want either a Stage 1 ported GM casting (stock valve size for better clearance) or one of the aftermarket castings that give you better clearance. We offer the Stage 1 LS6's that would accommodate that camshaft without any changes to the bottom end of the motor, as well as the PRC 215 head (aftermarket casting) that will be even better if they're in your budget!

Let us know if we can help with your combo!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 09-02-2009, 05:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NemeSS
how much powr u want? max effort? what other supporting mods are alredy on car?
I've got an 85mm TB & Intake manifold, & headers, and a 3000RPM stall. I've got a GM hot cam currently & I'm just not happy with the performance. I've got the valve springs, lifters, & RR to swap when I do that swap, I've also got a set of 36# injectors on their way in.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:08 PM
Launching!

should I just swap to an LS6 intake as well?

Last edited by _LS1_; 09-02-2009 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by _LS1_
I've got an 85mm TB & Intake manifold, & headers, and a 3000RPM stall. I've got a GM hot cam currently & I'm just not happy with the performance. I've got the valve springs, lifters, & RR to swap when I do that swap, I've also got a set of 36# injectors on their way in.
u can upgrde to a stock set of ls2 243 or 799 heads. bolting on stock set of these heads will increase your scr. and a slight mill wil raise it even more.
even in stock form they will wake up the car with that cam.
u will need appropriate springs, pushrods,adj.timing chain, new head gaskets.
a vj and mill would compliment the heads even more. if u gonna take the heads off and dont the $ for ported heads, they are better option than reusing stock ls1.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NemeSS
u can upgrde to a stock set of ls2 243 or 799 heads. bolting on stock set of these heads will increase your scr. and a slight mill wil raise it even more.
even in stock form they will wake up the car with that cam.
u will need appropriate springs, pushrods,adj.timing chain, new head gaskets.
a vj and mill would compliment the heads even more. if u gonna take the heads off and dont the $ for ported heads, they are better option than reusing stock ls1.
I've got a better set of timing chain & gears on the car already, upgraded the water pump, oil pump and all that other lovely stuff. I bought a set of MLS Stock head gaskets from speed inc, I also bought a set of REV duel titanium valve springs, seats, retainers, and keepers good for .600 lift. The pushrods I don't have though.. Those springs will work right?
Old 09-02-2009, 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've got a better set of timing chain & gears on the car already, upgraded the water pump, oil pump and all that other lovely stuff. I bought a set of MLS Stock head gaskets from speed inc, I also bought a set of REV duel titanium valve springs, seats, retainers, and keepers good for .600 lift. The pushrods I don't have though.. Those springs will work right?
its quite a more steps than just sliding the cam in place and bolting stuff down,
the new head gaskets will raise or lower scr, affect quench, and i machine relieves to the psitons anyways and always verify quench,scr,dcr, pr length
so i never have any ptv clearnace probs. or sewing machine sound.
i would recommend the springs be checked at machine shop for open and seat pressure coil bind,etc., and when degreeing cam, verify correct specs. if using 1.7 rockers multiply that times the cam lobe lift for valve lift number.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

should I just swap to an LS6 intake as well?
youre gonna want a ported FAST intake and TB combo to help that big cam breathe.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WSsick
youre gonna want a ported FAST intake and TB combo to help that big cam breathe.
I have an 85mm TB & Intake setup already, I'm gonna need more?
Old 09-02-2009, 05:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have an 85mm TB & Intake setup already, I'm gonna need more?
i have oem ls6 intake with bbk 85mm tb and car makes around 490rw. with bigger engine and bigger cam. will the fast make it better, sure. do i need it. not for the street. nah.
if u got the regular ls1, upgrade to ls6 intake is a good choice.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:27 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
With that duration you'll likely need all of the valve drop you can get (piston to valve clearance) depending on what those lobes are like. You'll want either a Stage 1 ported GM casting (stock valve size for better clearance) or one of the aftermarket castings that give you better clearance. We offer the Stage 1 LS6's that would accommodate that camshaft without any changes to the bottom end of the motor, as well as the PRC 215 head (aftermarket casting) that will be even better if they're in your budget!

Let us know if we can help with your combo!
Bad idea. You sink the valves enough and you effectively shorten the length of the throat and cost the head flow and thus power. I doubt the OP wants to trade convenience for power potential.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:56 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^We do not sink the valves on the Stage 1 LS6's. These get the better valve drop, as compared to a Stage 2 or whatever ported casting, from stock valve size and minimal milling (clean-up only).

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!