Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

another pinion angle question

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default another pinion angle question

ok i have checked the FAQ and searched...

is there any way to change the pinion angle with a stock torque arm? i have pinpointed my problem to be the pinion angle and the tranny bushing the driveshaft will be balanced on tuesday as well. but how can i change my pinion angle without buying an adjustable t/a
Old 09-06-2009, 08:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one for sale wink wink.

I don't think you can. Only possibility you have would be to make some kind of modification to the front bracket
Old 09-07-2009, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

ok i didnt think you could which sucks *****. anyways i think its my pinion angle

on the gas it starts vibrating about 70 gets worse and worse and worse but at 80 you cant hardly drive the car. you let off it gets even worse. you push in the clutch or put it in neutral its unbearable put it back in gear and floor it its not as bad. it already has one new u joint the front one still seemed good. anything else it could be? if it was the driveshaft wouldnt it do it whether the clutch was pushed in or out? seems like when its under load the rear squats and pushes the driveshaft up and helps correct the angle a little bit.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did a search here yesterday and found the stock arm has -2 built in to the design. I would check that you have the universal at the rear seating in the clips correct or it being loose. One time after I had mine out it vibed like crazy until I found that!
Old 09-07-2009, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Intercooler2
I did a search here yesterday and found the stock arm has -2 built in to the design. I would check that you have the universal at the rear seating in the clips correct or it being loose. One time after I had mine out it vibed like crazy until I found that!
im going to check it today. thanks for the tip. the u-joint caps dont go all the way to the out side of the pinion and i centered it the best i could there. could it possibly be the caps are supposed to go to the outside edge of the pinion? but then there would be side to side movement with the ujoint in the caps.

im going to try another tranny mount today also because when it vibrates if i grab the shifter and twist like im tightening the ball it helps with the vibrations in it.

also there is a noise when your driving the car too... it sounds like a whir or a whine when cruising along at 60 with the rpms low it does it you barely hit the gas it gets louder you floor it and it stops. or i think it stops i cant hear it anymore
Old 09-07-2009, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

problem almost solved the u joint has four snap clips that go on each cap. i only had two on since the old u joint only had two on it. i started it up and went all the way to 155 it is bearable now. the driveshaft is still getting balanced tomorrow though still kind of a wobble to it. just for future refrence all 4 caps need the snap ring. it keep the caps from sliding and throwing your driveshaft off there was a 1/4 inch difference in where the caps were sitting on the universal.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 97badass
problem almost solved the u joint has four snap clips that go on each cap. i only had two on since the old u joint only had two on it. i started it up and went all the way to 155 it is bearable now. the driveshaft is still getting balanced tomorrow though still kind of a wobble to it. just for future refrence all 4 caps need the snap ring. it keep the caps from sliding and throwing your driveshaft off there was a 1/4 inch difference in where the caps were sitting on the universal.
holy **** you were driving it like that?your lucky you got it home.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 30th6
holy **** you were driving it like that?your lucky you got it home.
oh no thats only part of it... i have put almost 1k miles on it since i got it going again... with the ujoint not right