Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

catback system: hooker or magnaflow?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 12:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default catback system: hooker or magnaflow?

I have a 2000 ws6 m6 and I recently installed some lts and ory and just cannot decide whether to go with hooker or magnaflow's catback system. I need advise(installation, durability, performance, sound quality and pics if you have 'em). I really appreciate it, Im tired of being on the fence.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:09 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the Magnaflow on my 2000 SS. STAINLESS ALL THE WAY!!!! Hooker is not stainless btw. Get Magnaflow...will last longer and proven to sound good.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:15 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by scidav87
I love the Magnaflow on my 2000 SS. STAINLESS ALL THE WAY!!!! Hooker is not stainless btw. Get Magnaflow...will last longer and proven to sound good.
Awesome bro tand thanks for the quick reply. So you went with the aero-chamber or the bullets?
Old 09-14-2009, 01:27 AM
Staging Lane

You can go onto www.ls1sounds.com to hear different exhaust setups.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:38 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Monkey_fuerte
You can go onto www.ls1sounds.com to hear different exhaust setups.
I know but really i want to know opinions on quality and performance. and most of the videos aren't that good and alot are different than the setup I have.(basically bolt-ons and tune)
Old 09-14-2009, 08:56 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I don't like the big cannon tips on the Magnaflow. While their muffler is good, the tips would keep me from buying their catback.

They both are quiet with nice sound quality. A knowledgeable guy on this board (Damian) has claimed that testing shows the Hooker flows better. So, I give a slight nod to the Hooker, but either one is a good choice - as long as you like the Magnaflow tips.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have Magnaflow (great straight thru design) and cut off the tips and added turndowns which look very cool.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

i have magnaflow and its a good system. no problems at all. its just that it is very quiet. the magnaflow is a better quality, but i think the hooker has a more deeper, rumble and muscle car sound than magnaflow does.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

I say hooker! The magnaflow is nice for stock manifold cars, but when adding lt headers w/ ory and/or heads/cam it gets raspy.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Another vote for the magnaflow stainless system and your choice of two tip designs, and if you dont like those tips, they just unbolt off via band clamp and you can run whatever tips you want.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hooker I love the way my car sounds, not to mention one of the best flowing at a great price.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:36 PM
12 Second Club

i vote magnaflow as well. stainless, and i only paid 380 with free shipping. i dont get why people complain about the tips, i actually like them but i would see it only costing like 50 bucks to install different ones on there.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RevGTO
I don't like the big cannon tips on the Magnaflow. While their muffler is good, the tips would keep me from buying their catback.

They both are quiet with nice sound quality. A knowledgeable guy on this board (Damian) has claimed that testing shows the Hooker flows better. So, I give a slight nod to the Hooker, but either one is a good choice - as long as you like the Magnaflow tips.
Links to said test? Been on this board for a long time and never heard such a thing. In fact Iv'e heard the exact opposite.

To the Op. The stock Magnaflow tips look kind of funny on Formulas and Camaros but don't look bad on TAs. You can always get the duel tips.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ws6onSLICKS
I know but really i want to know opinions on quality and performance. and most of the videos aren't that good and alot are different than the setup I have.(basically bolt-ons and tune)
Here you go bolt ons and a tune. This is my third exhaust and I love it and wont be changing it except maybe the tips down the line. I had the stock catback and a cutout before with longtubes and it was an alright setup but had some negatives. Then tsp duals, the flow and power was great but way too loud and fitment wasnt the best...

The Magnaflow had great fitment and quality, stainless, great price especially for stainless, easy installation, and I love the sound. I noticed no difference in power between my duals and the magnaflow either. It is on the quieter side but if you roll into the throttle or go wide open it gets throaty. I think its a perfect balance and have gotten a lot of compliments on it.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:09 PM
Staging Lane

Awesome guys! I really cant thank you enough, but I think im deaded toward the magnaflows. OOHHH! I forgot to mention, that I took out the cats... Does this change any of you opinions?
Old 09-14-2009, 02:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ws6onSLICKS
Awesome guys! I really cant thank you enough, but I think im deaded toward the magnaflows. OOHHH! I forgot to mention, that I took out the cats... Does this change any of you opinions?
No the clip you see above is catless. There will be some more rasp without cats but its not enough that it bothers me and it really depends on what Y you have and how good the merge is. Some more info on your mods would probably help?
Old 09-14-2009, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrob56
No the clip you see above is catless. There will be some more rasp without cats but its not enough that it bothers me and it really depends on what Y you have and how good the merge is. Some more info on your mods would probably help?
Yep, the merge is key. I couldn't believe the difference in sound after I ditched the aftermarket y with the crappy merge and got a custom one done. Sounded like a completely different exhaust system.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:25 PM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

id go magnaflow, stainless and i love the sound of mine
Old 09-15-2009, 01:32 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Dal1as
Links to said test? Been on this board for a long time and never heard such a thing. In fact Iv'e heard the exact opposite.
As I said this was HIS CLAIM - not that I had access to the test:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ow-master.html
Originally Posted by Damian
The Magnaflow is Stainless which is nice, but the Aerochamber muffler flows more cfm (I've tested them both).
For the money, the Hooker CB is the best CB on the market, bar none. It flows better than ALL of the $600+ catbacks, and the entire rear section can be dropped also for racing at the track to save weight.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RevGTO
As I said this was HIS CLAIM - not that I had access to the test:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ow-master.html
Well I have a hard time believing a chambered design flows better than a straight though. It's a pretty crazy claim.