Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

headers or intake

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 12:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headers or intake

hey guys, i'm new to the boards, been reading alot and just kinda watching what everyone has to say, pretty impressed with the site and all the help and knowledge floating around.

i have a 2000 c5 with a the vr ram intake, slp maf (which i've heard is garbage), borla cat back and x-pipe and some other minor stuff.

i can't decide what would be best to get from here. a fast intake manifold or some headers? are the BBK shorty headers any good and get a decent gain? i'm am assuming that i wouldn't have to change the xpipe if i got the shorties and they are deffly cheaper. or should i bite the bullet and go for LT's and a new xpipe.
or should i get the fast intake?? not quite sure, just wondering what some of you thought.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kook headers and 150shot of nitrous and predator from Diablosport.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Black00C5
hey guys, i'm new to the boards, been reading alot and just kinda watching what everyone has to say, pretty impressed with the site and all the help and knowledge floating around.

i have a 2000 c5 with a the vr ram intake, slp maf (which i've heard is garbage), borla cat back and x-pipe and some other minor stuff.

i can't decide what would be best to get from here. a fast intake manifold or some headers? are the BBK shorty headers any good and get a decent gain? i'm am assuming that i wouldn't have to change the xpipe if i got the shorties and they are deffly cheaper. or should i bite the bullet and go for LT's and a new xpipe.
or should i get the fast intake?? not quite sure, just wondering what some of you thought.
Go for the longtubes and a good tune.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No question, Headers.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:40 PM
Launching!

FAST intake will really shine when you start dumping other mods into it like big heads, big cam and intake. but not worth the $ on a stock car with nothing else.

but the headers are going to be the best bang for the buck on a stock engine.

i would definitely go headers, and dont waste your $ with shorties.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:53 PM
Teching In

thanks for the insight

my car is lowered tho, am i going to scrape everywhere i go if i get LT's?? is there anything better than the LG's also?
Old 09-15-2009, 06:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Dont go shorties! longtubes for sure!! kooks or arh headers. and yes headers over intake anyday. You also dont need that fast intake unless you plan on making alot of horsepower down the road. They really shine when you start to get alot of power.. As far as trying to apply it with basic bolt ons forget it.. Its a complete ripoff. If your just doing bolt ons or whatever get a ls6 intake! Much more worth it and will provide great results! O and welcome to the site
Old 09-15-2009, 06:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ZO7 Josh
Kook headers and 150shot of nitrous and predator from Diablosport.
werd.

long tubes won't rub
Old 09-15-2009, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

headers x-pipe and LS6. If you can afford it get a $300-$400 Z06 ti catback.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:42 PM
Teching In

it already had a borla stinger cat back on it when i bought it...thats just as good as the z06 ti one, right? either way, the LG street headers and xpipe are proly the set up i wanna go with... LG runs around 1000 and kooks around 850. any other place to look for headers at??
Old 09-16-2009, 01:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

it already had a borla stinger cat back on it when i bought it...thats just as good as the z06 ti one, right? either way, the LG street headers and xpipe are proly the set up i wanna go with... LG runs around 1000 and kooks around 850. any other place to look for headers at??
yes that borla stinger catback is good..the zo6 ti is just lighter so it saves weight. lg's are good but kooks are just as good. If you want to save a little money go with kooks. Either way you will be satisfied with the results. Any other mods you interested in doing or thats its for now? cam? heads? ewp? etc.. i ask because its best to get everything done with so you can get it tuned once and be done with it. Also for tuning purposes you may want to go back to stock maf.

Last edited by demarco313; 09-16-2009 at 01:54 AM.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Headers... With a tune they'll make the biggest difference out of any bolt on.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:59 AM
Banned

Get some Twin Turbo manifolds.... and bolt turbos to them.

Back to your main question.... headers for sure.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:57 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ARH LT w/ LS6 Intake and dump that vr ram intake its garbage... get callaway or Halltech, and then get a good tune, you can find the best tuners on this site not sure for FL but Pat G is the **** in Texas. And welcome to the site!
Old 09-16-2009, 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NoTractionLS1
ARH LT w/ LS6 Intake and dump that vr ram intake its garbage... get callaway or Halltech, and then get a good tune, you can find the best tuners on this site not sure for FL but Pat G is the **** in Texas. And welcome to the site!
That's the first time I've heard anyone call the vararam garbage. Not saying it's true or not, but I'm just saying I've never heard that.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:05 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
That's the first time I've heard anyone call the vararam garbage. Not saying it's true or not, but I'm just saying I've never heard that.
Its really flimsy its just feels cheap and is a huge pain to put in, my buddy had it, now he has the callaway and it looks great and its well worth the money. Just my 2 cents!
Old 09-16-2009, 09:32 PM
Teching In

it does feel kinda flimsy, but i'm sure it makes some power, some is better than none...and it was on there when i bought the car, so i'm proly not gonna change it for awhile.

so does anyone object to the LG headers, or is there another good brand for cheaper?
Old 09-16-2009, 10:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

"garbage"

One of te best bang for the buck bolt on parts,... and a proven track device. The Vararam weather you like it or not works better then any system that we have ever come across for an NA car. It' not a dyno numbers unit.....and I never met a tuner that LIKEs the vararam,...... but it works, and works very very well.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:46 PM
Teching In

Headers hands down!
Old 09-16-2009, 10:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Its really flimsy its just feels cheap and is a huge pain to put in, my buddy had it, now he has the callaway and it looks great and its well worth the money. Just my 2 cents!
Ha,...truth comes out. Nothing good in life should be easy. Nothing. The diablosport crews seen me install a vararam with a floor jack, allen driver,and a pair of needle nose. Also have installed them with my giant tool box full of whatever tool. It isn't that hard, regardless of skill,... it does however, require some patience,... which I have little of. Which is a sign for everyone,... you can do it.

it does feel kinda flimsy, but i'm sure it makes some power, some is better than none...and it was on there when i bought the car, so i'm proly not gonna change it for awhile.

so does anyone object to the LG headers, or is there another good brand for cheaper?
Vararam feels flimsy,.... vagina feels mushy. Either way,.. both great and well worth the investment. The LG pro's were on both my cars and I thought they were great for my small cub'd motors. Had a small issue here or there since my car is super low but,... no issues that were a problem.

American Racing, Kooks, Stainless works, are all products I would run on my own car or friends.

Quick Reply: headers or intake