Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

2nd LS7 clutch in a year

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 02:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd LS7 clutch in a year

My clutch center section blew out again this morning. It blew out back in January (after having it installed 8 months prior) and now 9 months later. Is there any other clutch thats stronger than the LS7 and would all clutches and PP mate to the LS2 flywheel?
Old 09-16-2009, 03:01 PM
FormerVendor

What exactly is "blowing out"? Do you have pictures of the damaged parts? If so please post them and I will be happy to help you better understand the cause which will certainly help in finding the best answer. Thanks,
Old 09-16-2009, 03:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
What exactly is "blowing out"? Do you have pictures of the damaged parts? If so please post them and I will be happy to help you better understand the cause which will certainly help in finding the best answer. Thanks,
I dont have access to pictures or photobucket so I'll use this for reference. It's the center section on the clutch disk that the input shaft on the tranny goes through. The whole ring inthe center of the disk just 'blows' and spins on the input shaft while the clutch disk just sits there. Funny thing is, I'm not ******* on the vehicle and am very conservative when driving it. I just want to know if any other clutches are stronger and can mate up to a LS2 flywheel.

Last edited by 2000KnightRider; 09-16-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:26 PM
FormerVendor

I was just trying to narrow down whether this was a hub issue or a carrier issue. At any rate having this happen is generally indicative of a few possible causes. The first and most obvious would be a damaged or improperly installed pilot-bearing. This would be the first this I would check. This could also result from massive amounts of shock being passed through the drivetrain. Realize I am not saying you have done anything wrong; I am simply providing insight to the possible causes for this.

Is the car tracked regularly? Stock disc assemblies are relatively good at dampening shock, but when compared to an aftermarket disc they use thinner spring cage materials and weaker spring assemblies. In instances where a car is launched frequently this can occur.

Lastly, it could result from miss-shifting which would also typically damage the straps on the pressure-plate as well. What other damage has occured when this happened?

If possible give me some more info relative to your use of the car and what was happening when the damage occured.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was just trying to narrow down whether this was a hub issue or a carrier issue. At any rate having this happen is generally indicative of a few possible causes. The first and most obvious would be a damaged or improperly installed pilot-bearing. This would be the first this I would check. This could also result from massive amounts of shock being passed through the drivetrain. Realize I am not saying you have done anything wrong; I am simply providing insight to the possible causes for this.

Is the car tracked regularly? Stock disc assemblies are relatively good at dampening shock, but when compared to an aftermarket disc they use thinner spring cage materials and weaker spring assemblies. In instances where a car is launched frequently this can occur.

Lastly, it could result from miss-shifting which would also typically damage the straps on the pressure-plate as well. What other damage has occured when this happened?

If possible give me some more info relative to your use of the car and what was happening when the damage occured.
I know I never mis-shift because Ive never had it to the track and never dog on it. No other damage has occured before with it. Both times I was just pulling out of a gas station into the normal flow of traffic. The pilot bearing was installed correctly too.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

That just sounds like bad luck going through 2 ls7 clutches w/o even ******* on it. My textralia z grip seems to be holding up
Old 09-16-2009, 04:02 PM
FormerVendor

This isn't something that I have seen occur personally but I certainly understand what you are referencing. It's odd that the hubs would sheer and then free spin. At any rate, if there isn't any damage to your plate or flywheel, other than low mileage wear you could opt for an aftermarket disc. This would keep cost down. Or you could opt for a complete kit. We offer seven different single-disc clutch options for your application. Are you planning to up the power on the car in the future? If so, let me know your goals and I will provide a recommendation. Thanks,
Old 09-17-2009, 10:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

This isn't something that I have seen occur personally but I certainly understand what you are referencing. It's odd that the hubs would sheer and then free spin. At any rate, if there isn't any damage to your plate or flywheel, other than low mileage wear you could opt for an aftermarket disc. This would keep cost down. Or you could opt for a complete kit. We offer seven different single-disc clutch options for your application. Are you planning to up the power on the car in the future? If so, let me know your goals and I will provide a recommendation. Thanks,
I searched a couple of different threads and read where individuals were advised not to mate a SPEC clutch to a LS2 flywheel. I was thinking of getting a SPEC 2 and the Speed Inc flywheel or just getting a SPEC 2 clutch disk and using the LS7 pressure plate (can this work?). Let me know what you think about both.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:34 AM
FormerVendor

There a few options and thus it comes down to preference. We offer two variants for use with the LS2/3/7. One is for use with the stock flywheel (or an aftermarket flywheel with a similar design) and the other is for use with our flywheel. The OE based unit uses the stock SAC-plate as the basis for thc clutch. It will have reduced capacity over the non-SAC plate though we have sold many of these without issue (so i am unsure what you were referencing relative to issues with the use of our kits and the stock flywheel).

I would recommend the use of the non-SAC type plate. This would work with our SC75A (Aluminum) and SC75S (Steel) flywheels. As a side note there really isn't any benefit to going with the LS2 assembly especially if you are going to get a flywheel as well.

You are welcome to give me a call to discuss this further if you like. Or we can continue via posts if that works. Just let me know and I will be happy to assist you further. Thanks,

Last edited by SPEC-01; 09-22-2009 at 01:16 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

I was talking to a friend of mine who is a fellow t/a owner and he thought that my car having different gears in the rear might have something to do with the clutch disk breaking like that. I have 3.23 in the rear-end. What do you think? I wouldnt think it would though.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow... WT?

Old 09-22-2009, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2000KnightRider
I was talking to a friend of mine who is a fellow t/a owner and he thought that my car having different gears in the rear might have something to do with the clutch disk breaking like that. I have 3.23 in the rear-end. What do you think? I wouldnt think it would though.
Nothing to do with it.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've beaten the absolute **** out of my Spec Stage 3 and it has never missed a beat. DR clutch drop launches, constant powershifts, etc.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:46 PM
FormerVendor

A different gear set shouldn't have any affect on the disc's spring cage.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:39 PM
Staging Lane

Give Jason over at TDP a call 817-300-6840 I was using a spec stage 3 but smoked it and went with one of Jasons clutches and ill never look back. givem a call.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Chesty for President
Give Jason over at TDP a call 817-300-6840 I was using a spec stage 3 but smoked it and went with one of Jasons clutches and ill never look back. givem a call.
I already purchased a SPEC stg 2 and flywheel from Speed inc. Hopefully it will be here tomorrow.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:20 PM
FormerVendor

Good deal! Let me know what you think once you get it installed and through the break-in process. Thanks,
Old 03-25-2010, 12:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

45k on mine and i drive the **** out of mine going through 2 sets of tires a year. I no you drive yours like a grandpa LOL maybe if ya dog ya **** maybe it will quit breaking lol . Could it have something to do with your solid motor mounts? I know they raised up you motor higher then most motors ive seen. Has to me something in the car out of line or something. Same part twice on same car and havent seen this problem for anyone else.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...s7+clutch+disk

Last edited by SIC LSX; 03-25-2010 at 12:15 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no problems with mine
Old 03-25-2010, 06:16 PM
Teching In

i had the same problem with a spec 3 and it turned out to be a bad pilot bearing.

Quick Reply: 2nd LS7 clutch in a year