Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mac midlength headers questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 03:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mac midlength headers questions

If I were to install macs and their ory how much powerloss would that be compared to some cheap lt headers and ory like Pacesetters, or hookers?

How is the fitament and ground clearance with macs? I want to install them myself, dont want to pay somone to do it. Plus I want to eventually lower my car with Strano springs

With Mac headers and ory do you need to replace your motor mounts to keep the y pipe from hitting the floor board? I really dont want to attempt to change my motor mounts and again I dont want to pay someone to do it

Is there a "race" version with no AIR and EGR fittings? I got rid of my AIR

Other than not as much hp gain as longtubes are there any other reasons not to buy Mac midlengths and ory, I'd like to have the best headers but over 800 dollars is WAAAY to much for me
Old 10-03-2009, 03:42 PM
Launching!

sorry I'm sure this has been beat to death but I did try a search and it got me nothing
Old 10-03-2009, 07:15 PM
10 Second Club

I ran MAC's years ago and they were decent headers at the time, but the Y is on the small side. They do not come in a off road version without the AIR fittings. They are easy to install and tuck nicely under the car, so it shouldn't be a problem if you're lowered. I did port the inside of the primaries because of the inside welds and also had a Flowmaster merge welded into the Y which really helps with flow and reduces the drone. They are decent headers, but in all honesty you should be able to pick up some LT's pretty cheap these days.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im running macs also. i picked up a set used for like $200 and then had them ceramic coated. im running the ory setup but with the 3" flowmaster merge. the merge it comes with is only 2.75 which is too small. sounds great and gave a great performance increase.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:55 AM
Launching!

did you have to change your motor mounts?
Old 10-04-2009, 11:47 AM
Launching!

ok so I found coated pacesetters for $370 on the website theres an option for o2 extensions there like $40 are these nessesary? I plan on getting the rear o2s tuned out after I get the headers installed. Also I know I would need new poly motor mounts but what about the transmission mount, would it need to be changed as well? What are some good websites with decent prices to buy mounts? I'm trying to get an idea of how much everything I need will cost me, headers, accessories, mounts, tuning so I can decide whether or not I want to do this
Old 10-05-2009, 09:26 AM
On The Tree

I have them on my car and also dropped it. No ground clearence issues at all. But i would HIGHLY recommend doing the mounts while your at it. I did the mistake of not doing it when I did mine and now its hitting. It would be MUCH easier when your doing the headers swap since you wont have the headers in the way. I got my mounts from byunspeed really cheap.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:31 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

is there a reason you are opting for the mids? i mean, if you watn no AIR/EGR you obviously dont care abotu emissions, so why not go LTs? i wouldnt bother with coated anything, pacesetters, or whatever. the coating will be gone before you know it. my friend bought those, and his look the same as my black painted ones do. really no benefit for the money so buy the painted ones. if you want them to stay nice, fork out some real cash and buy stainless.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xricer
did you have to change your motor mounts?
nope.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:09 AM
TECH Resident

Unless you pick up a great deal on used Macs (like I did) I would say go with LTs. I gotta say, looking back at all the people who have had good luck with the ebay headers/Hooker y-pipe I wish I would have saved up a little more and went in that direction.
To answer the power question, most people lose 5-10 peak HP skipping out on LTs, but the lower part of the powerband can show a little more of a difference.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99TransAm666
I have them on my car and also dropped it. No ground clearence issues at all. But i would HIGHLY recommend doing the mounts while your at it. I did the mistake of not doing it when I did mine and now its hitting. It would be MUCH easier when your doing the headers swap since you wont have the headers in the way. I got my mounts from byunspeed really cheap.
thanks! just bought some mounts off that sight it is a good deal
Old 10-05-2009, 05:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WSsick
is there a reason you are opting for the mids? i mean, if you watn no AIR/EGR you obviously dont care abotu emissions, so why not go LTs? i wouldnt bother with coated anything, pacesetters, or whatever. the coating will be gone before you know it. my friend bought those, and his look the same as my black painted ones do. really no benefit for the money so buy the painted ones. if you want them to stay nice, fork out some real cash and buy stainless.
Alright I think I'm gonna go with painted pacesetters I did'nt know the coating comes off, plus the cheaper the better for me, I guess they still could look kind of cool since they will match the intake manifold. Does the TSP ory fit well with pacesetters? I dont like how the Pacesetter y is flattened on one side and I hear the merge is really crappy. I was also thinking of a custom y-pipe possibly
Old 10-05-2009, 06:22 PM
Launching!

Can someone help me out real quick? I'm ready to buy my setup tonight, already ordered motor mounts need to know if the TSP y-pipe is any better than the Pacesetter one, I still have the stock WS6 cat back just with a cutout. Also any accessories I need to buy? bolts, clamps and stuff for the headers and motor mounts
Old 10-05-2009, 10:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hell texas speed 1 7/8 big boyys are only 400+ dollars and the Y is like 2 sumthin they tuck up nice also.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:55 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WSsick

I would have to disagree with this statement about the coating on pacesetters. I've had mine on for five years and they still look good. Do not buy painted unless they are temperary, they will rust rather fast.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

buy a set of used mac mids. cut off the collectors and weld on a set of 3" slip fits or v bands. Run a 3" y pipe.

Best ground clearance you could get.