Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear Swap, BMR LCA's, then BAD tire wear...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 06:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Swap, BMR LCA's, then BAD tire wear...

Hey guys! Search couldnt help me on this one...

About 8 or so months ago, I swapped in a 10 bolt 3.42 rear I got from Veee8 into my 02 formula to replace the ol' 2.73. (great transaction by the way...great seller!) While I was under there, I also swapped in some BMR Tubular LCA's to go with it. I had a noticeable increase in traction!

Anyway, I made my first high speed run with the rear yesterday (took long enough, I know) I hit about 130-135 when I started smelling burning rubber. I let off, and pulled over. I gave the rear suspension a look, and everything appeared to be okay. But once I returned home, I saw this!

(sorry for the cell phone pic) It looks even worse in person. Very deep pits and gouges...like someone took an angle grinder to the edge of the tire.

So that was the burning smell. Any ideas on what couldve caused this? It's the rear driver side tire. The inside of the tire seems fine, and the passenger side tire is fine as well. I haven't had access to a garage to get under the car yet, so I was hoping to get some insight from you guys as to where I should start looking.

Thanks!!
Old 10-04-2009, 09:41 PM
12 Second Club

Best guess would be mis adjusted LCA's. To short on the drivers side cousing the car to dog track and kind of drag the drivers side slightly sideways. Although I have never seen it that's about the only thing I could think of.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:56 PM
Staging Lane

that makes sense, but my LCA's aren't adjustable! Kinda makes me wonder if my frame was toasted by the previous owner...it was hella hard to get the suspension back into place after having it out for a few weeks.

Something else ive noticed, is a knocking sound from the rear PASSENGER side of the car (opposite of the side with the worn tire) Is VERY reminiscent of a worn out/broken shock bushing. Every little bump produces a sharp knocking sound from the passenger side rear. I know a loose jack is a common culprit, but mine is nice and tight. As for the shock bushing theory, I havent checked yet, but even if that was the case, i know this wouldnt cause the severe tire wear i am seeing.

No fluid leakage or noise, but since only one tire is affected, could this be an axle bearing taking a dump? I am at a loss. Im not that experienced with suspension problems, but most of it is common sense...and this seems to be isolated to the driver's side. Maybe my frame is dunzo, and I should get a body shop to check it out. Ive run this setup for months now with no problem, so either the situation is exascerbated by the high speed i was running, or i broke something during the high speed run.

Thanks again guys, keep the guesses coming!
Old 10-16-2009, 05:09 PM
Staging Lane

Well, no more tire wear. Apparently this only happens at high speed. Honestly, Im a little scared to try again, since a blowout at 120-130 mph could make for a BAD DAY.

Anybody? One and only bump...
Old 10-16-2009, 05:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Firefighterformula
Well, no more tire wear. Apparently this only happens at high speed. Honestly, Im a little scared to try again, since a blowout at 120-130 mph could make for a BAD DAY.

Anybody? One and only bump...
Chances are it happens all the time but you just can't tell..

I would maybe talk to madman?
Old 10-19-2009, 12:33 AM
Teching In

Why don't you take it in for a free alignment check? Ask to see the print out. Take a picture of it and post it back on here and p.m. me when you get it maybe I can help you.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:42 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Does the car have relocation brackets on it? It could be several different things. Give me a call here at the office and i will try to help you resolve this.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 07-18-2010, 10:54 PM
Staging Lane

Hey guys...

Bringing this back from the dead, I know, but I thought I had already posted about it.

Pulled the car into a garage and got underneath it, and it turns out that the nut on the rear of the passenger side LCA had come off! The bolt was almost all of the way out of the bracket. Apparently the first time I had checked, it was just loose, because nothing was missing that I could see.

Got a replacement from the stealership (not OEM, but a locking type just as good) and havent had any problems since.

ShortChevy, you basically hit it right on the head.

I feel dumb as hell, but maybe this just MIGHT save someone the trouble that I had. Use Loctite.

Quick Reply: Rear Swap, BMR LCA's, then BAD tire wear...