Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 SS - Won't Start, will crank all day - Has fuel pressure.....enter to help

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 SS - Won't Start, will crank all day - Has fuel pressure.....enter to help

Ok - So the car has fuel pressure - around 55pounds or so - battery is charged, it has gas, I rented a OBDII scanner and it says No Codes Found - sooooo.....whats the next step other than a car bomb?

It will crank all damn day and wont even spit and sputter - it sounds like it is getting NO spark at all - what would cause all spark to go away instead of just one bad coil?? I thought the crank sensor would throw a code or something like that - suggestions?? Anyone in the Ashland, KY area wanna a crack at fixing it I'll pay to get it running by weeks end - I've got an interested buyer and need to get this thing running.

Thanks
Old 10-05-2009, 07:44 PM
TECH Addict

Hmmm, what have you checked so far, that would be the best place to start. Have you pulled and examined all the plugs? How about the wires? Has someone checked to see if the flywheel is actually turning while you start the car? When was the last time it started? Any mods between then?
Old 10-05-2009, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Vats

Maybe VATS related ?

I had the same thing on my 01 TA n had to fix VATS.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:57 PM
TECH Addict

I've had a vats problem before and the car won't even crank when it happens
Old 10-05-2009, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've checked the fuel pressure and ran the scanner on it. The motor is turning over as I crank it it just doesnt fire up at all not even a sputter. I haven't pulled the plugs - but I figure if it was plugs it would have missed and spit and sputtered as it died on me but it went INSTANTLY. It had two moments where it would crank and crank and not start a couple days prior and then it finally started then the last day it ran i was on my way to work and made it about 5 miles down the road and went to accelerate from a red light and got to about mph and it just died - no miss, no backfire just dead - i coasted off to the side and had it towed. It's not even studdered once since it just cranks and cranks.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I had a super super similar problem. My car just quit on me and still had pressure AND spark! As it turned out, I pulled the PCM and it was covered in corrosion and readings were EVERYWHERE (read 14k RPM when it was off). Threw no codes. Replaced the PCM and it ran perfect. Pull your PCM out and see if it is discolored at the bottom. Better yet, if you have access to a scanner, read out the data from the sensors and see if they are screwy or not. Hope this helps.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:43 PM
TECH Addict

I would pull the plugs, check for problems, then start checking all your ground wires.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by hlaalu
I would pull the plugs, check for problems, then start checking all your ground wires.
Word to that. First thing, check the ground on the back of the head. I do have a list of all the grounds, send me a PM if you want them.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a suggestion, if its not firing your crank sensor may be bad and not let it fire. Sensor located under the car, back half of motor don't remeber what side of motor. As far as fuel pressure goes 55lb it should run but most of the ones that I've worked on have 58-62lb depending on cars.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

will the sensor throw a code though? I can get a sensor for $50 and try it out i guess.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think so, most of the time for it to throw a code it has to go though so many cycles. I'll PM you my number and won't care to try to help you. Roy E.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

check your fuses, I don't know how the wiring is on a fbody but part of my swap required a fused wire for bank 1 fuel/spark and another for bank 2 fuel/ spark, and several others

then I would check grounds, check the hot wire for the pcm and the key on for pcm, maf (my car won't start with the maf unplugged)
Old 10-06-2009, 10:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Try switching your crank relay and your ignition relay located in the black compartments under the drivers side of the hood.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:20 PM
On The Tree

When you put the cars ignition key to on does your dash lights and gages go on/move?

If no? the iginition switch or relay is bad. I had the same issue in my 2k TA several years ago.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:44 PM
On The Tree

ditto.. on crank sensor... pull a plug out, hook it back up to the wire, ground the plug ...crank the car and see if you have spark. also take a test light and pull of an injector connector... hook the test light in series with the connector and crank the car and see if it lights.. it should pulse.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by EDS01SS
Try switching your crank relay and your ignition relay located in the black compartments under the drivers side of the hood.
Yeah check the relays, sounds like the same thing that happened to me...would crank forever and wouldn't do anything. just swap them and test.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

JACKPOT!!!!!!!!!!!! I figured it out!! It was one of the square fuses under the hood - apparently one either went bad or I had it plugged in backwards or some **** - I pulled one from Fan2 and swapped it with IGN, but then I noticed it didnt line up the way I had it plugged in - So I flipped it around - whether it was the new plug or the alignment I don't give a **** - she's running and I'm about to run to Autozone and pick up another one to replace the fan2 plug. How ****** bizzare is that? I just decided to swap em and ZROOM it happened - I had JUST replaced that fuse so I dunno what happpen - I'm talkin less than a month before it bit the dust. Oh well - I'm back in business and I'm meeting a potential buyer tomorrow in louisa. Thanks for all the help guys. I appreciate it.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:12 PM
TECH Addict

Glad you figured it out! I would still check all your grounds, especially the ones related to that fuse!
Old 08-15-2010, 03:09 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

You rule. I just read this, and switched the fuse from FAN2 with my IGN fuse, and voila....my car fired right up.

Quick Reply: 2001 SS - Won't Start, will crank all day - Has fuel pressure.....enter to help