Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my 408 build, step by step

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 11:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my 408 build, step by step

ok guy its late so i am not gonna stay up and load all the photo's and i need to learn exactly how to anyway, but i picked my block up from the machine shop Tuesday, bored, honed, decked, and new cam bearings installed. i will get pics of my rotating assembly, i wanna bust a nut every time i look at it. this is my first time actually assembling my own engine. i will have lots of help, my father in law ran a garage for years. i love how the rods and pistons all have weights on them, the pistons have huge reliefs in them. so i will update this thread as i go with some pics of the engine bay, parts, and i had tick go over the trans and do a stage 2, plus a few extras.

so here's a few pics, don't mind the gay fake SS emblems they were taken off, that's before i painted the car too, now its a navy blue metallic. and one of my son who helps me all the time, he turns a wrench right along beside me.
Attached Thumbnails my 408 build, step by step-100_0879.jpg   my 408 build, step by step-seth-186.jpg   my 408 build, step by step-seth-187.jpg   my 408 build, step by step-seth-194.jpg  

Last edited by the jester 812; 10-14-2009 at 11:10 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:13 PM
Launching!

just had a few more things to say, i will take pics of my prc ported l92 heads and show how much bigger the intake valve is compared to the stock 241 vlaves. some may already know but some may not, its a huge difference.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

Waiting on some pics man. What part of va are you in? Im in Richmond
Old 10-15-2009, 08:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Z284U2TRY
Waiting on some pics man. What part of va are you in? Im in Richmond
I'm across the Chesapeake on VA's little piece of the peninsula. i was actually in Richmond Wednesday for a continuing ed class. here is my engine still bagged from the machine shop where i had it bored "30 over' and honed and decked. and my box of pistons and rods.
Attached Thumbnails my 408 build, step by step-engine-bagged.jpg   my 408 build, step by step-box-o-goodies-2.jpg  

Last edited by the jester 812; 10-15-2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:39 PM
Launching!

here is a view of the bottom, i love how you can see the crosshatch marks in the bores, and the top, everything is so nice and clean.
Attached Thumbnails my 408 build, step by step-engine-bottom.jpg   my 408 build, step by step-engine-top.jpg   my 408 build, step by step-engine-stamp.jpg  
Old 10-15-2009, 10:03 PM
Teching In

when we startin on it u got the camaro in the garage yet?
Old 10-15-2009, 10:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by THE_KOON
when we startin on it u got the camaro in the garage yet?
no the injectors and rail came in for the del sol, so i need to slap that on it and get it out so i can sell that damn thing. shouldnt take a minute. then we can start getting the engine together, no need to have the camaro in the garage taking up space till the engines ready to go in. henry said i need some kind of special tape to check all my clearances. anyone who has done this can shime in, my father in law is old school so if there is any special tool that i need to check all my clearances while/ before assembling the engine speak up.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:19 PM
Launching!

ahhh, every time i look at these heads it brings a smile to my face. i got these heads for the awesome flow. i have read all the information on them and how its hard to pick a cam for them because of how large the intake valve is. right now i have a choice between the torquer v.2 and a custom mid 240's .650 lift cam. i ordered the heads with dual springs good for .660 lift.
Attached Thumbnails my 408 build, step by step-l92-heads-bottom.jpg   my 408 build, step by step-larger-l92-valves.jpg   my 408 build, step by step-dual-springs.jpg  
Old 10-15-2009, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice... cant wait to see more.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:31 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribed. Wanting to do the same with a single turbo myself. Good luck
Old 10-15-2009, 10:32 PM
Launching!

ok here is the rotating assembly, the wiseco pistons, compstar rods, eagle crank. i love how huge the reliefs are in the pistons, shouldn't have to worry about PTV at all. especially not with a torquer V.2. the pistons are -3cc's. so my compression should be nice. i cant remember what texas speed said it would be with the l92 heads. i remember there was a thread where some guys could calculate the CR with a few pieces of info. if one of you guys could speak up i would love to have it documented in the thread for me. the rods are 6.125 H beam. i got the whole assembly balanced or course.
Attached Thumbnails my 408 build, step by step-new-crank.jpg   my 408 build, step by step-compstar-rods.jpg   my 408 build, step by step-wiseco-pistons.jpg   my 408 build, step by step-valve-reliefs.jpg  
Old 10-15-2009, 10:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Y2K_Camaro
Subscribed. Wanting to do the same with a single turbo myself. Good luck
i toss around the idea of fabbing up a rear mount system, and just running very low boost, but i think i will be happy with the power this makes at least till next fall/ winter.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:42 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by the jester 812
i toss around the idea of fabbing up a rear mount system, and just running very low boost, but i think i will be happy with the power this makes at least till next fall/ winter.
Oh I would be too, but I figured while the engine was out, I might as well do everything that I want to do
Old 10-16-2009, 01:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Looks good..I'm in the middle of building an Iron 408ci LQ4 with L92's on it at the moment myself..

Here's a pic of mine..

Old 10-16-2009, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by the jester 812
no the injectors and rail came in for the del sol, so i need to slap that on it and get it out so i can sell that damn thing. shouldnt take a minute. then we can start getting the engine together, no need to have the camaro in the garage taking up space till the engines ready to go in. henry said i need some kind of special tape to check all my clearances. anyone who has done this can shime in, my father in law is old school so if there is any special tool that i need to check all my clearances while/ before assembling the engine speak up.
Get Plastigage to check all of your clearances. Do you know how to use it? (I think it even has instructions on it?) If not, just post up here, I'll tell you how, or someone else if I'm not around, plenty of knowing people on here...
Old 10-16-2009, 09:24 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok, shameless advertising plug here. If you want to assemble your own engine, then I suggest that you might wantot go buy a book that specifically covers a build just like yours. Joseph Potak the moderator on here who goes by - Jospeh - has just written a book that I think would benefit you a lot. I am in the process of going through an reviewing it now. But I can tell you that based on what I have read thus far that you would be an ideal candidate based on your intnet to assemble the motor yourself. There is a LOT of good information in the book on proper checking and assembly.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...blication.html
Old 10-16-2009, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

you can either plastigage or use a micrometer. I personally like using a micrometer but neither tool is better then the other. Strictly preference of which tool you like to use. With a micrometer you will want to torque the mains down with the bearings installed in the block leaving the crank out. Its a very tidious but very important process. If you have never used either tool before then i would recommend having a friend or someone with you that has. Good luck either way. Nice setup by the way.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:15 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like its commin along nicely Similar to my build except I used a stock crank so mine is a 370ci https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...lots-pics.html
Old 10-16-2009, 11:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by evangto87
you can either plastigage or use a micrometer. I personally like using a micrometer but neither tool is better then the other. Strictly preference of which tool you like to use. With a micrometer you will want to torque the mains down with the bearings installed in the block leaving the crank out. Its a very tidious but very important process. If you have never used either tool before then i would recommend having a friend or someone with you that has. Good luck either way. Nice setup by the way.
plastigauge was what my father in law was talking about, i will get that he was saying just what you said, it takes time but its very necessary. he is meticulous, but he's very old school so sometimes it worries me that things have changed and he's doing something that isnt done anymore.

oh and im buying that book from a few posts up from amazon right now
Old 10-17-2009, 01:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've never used a micrometer, I was taught with plastigage from my roommate and his boss at his shop, and he plastigages all his clearances, and with all the high power builds that he makes that are long lasting beasts, it's good enough for me!!

Quick Reply: my 408 build, step by step